Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My winter Mamo build is (mostly) done!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm wondering how you got 3 different pushrod lengths on a new set of heads with new valvejobs? I'm not trying to argue, just interested.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because the valve jobs, chambers, etc. were hand massaged by the Sensei himself, the valve tips don't always end up at the same installed height. We're not talking about a lot here (like 30 thou difference in pushrod length), but when you're running short travel lifters your target preload is plus/minus 5 thou. With regular lifters you could probably get away with one length...
Old 05-15-2012, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Demonicbird00
time to get back on the dyno, good work in finding and fixing the problem

-brandon
Yeah buddy, that's the plan... although I'll likely beat on it some on the street for awhile first to make sure everybody is playing nice with each other now that I know the tune is safe. Remember the first pull? It went lean and he shut it down at like 4500rpm... I'm glad I stayed out of it until I got it to the shop!

Rob
Old 05-15-2012, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickenbackerman
Because the valve jobs, chambers, etc. were hand massaged by the Sensei himself, the valve tips don't always end up at the same installed height. We're not talking about a lot here (like 30 thou difference in pushrod length), but when you're running short travel lifters your target preload is plus/minus 5 thou. With regular lifters you could probably get away with one length...
Good enough answer for me, props to you for setting it up correctly.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

So it's back together now and we went for our (second) maiden voyage tonight, although this time I felt safe to get on it since I know the tune is safe... I only did two WOT bursts from like 30 to 90 through first and to the top of second (since it was getting dark) but my intial thoughts are:

Hole.

E.

Sh*t!

Driveability seems great too, even though I didn't get any street tuning since the lifter took a dump on the dyno.

Just talked to Tony giggling like an 8 year old girl.

Need more seat time... happy camper here!
Old 05-16-2012, 11:05 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just talked to Tony giggling like an 8 year old girl.
Yes....that's what I picked up the phone to.....a grown man giggling like an 8 year old schoolgirl! (and he wouldn't stop when I asked him details about the ride I suspected he just took!!.....LOL)

Truthfully it was pretty damn funny!

Rob did I mention I put you on speaker for a minute so a good friend could listen?

Old 05-16-2012, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

You didn't... that makes it even funnier...

A-heeeee hee heeee!!!
Old 05-16-2012, 11:44 PM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

Awesome!
Good to hear!
Ron
Old 05-16-2012, 11:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

441/390 is damn good through a stalled auto. Im wondering what your setup is gonna make throughmy friends M6 and 12 bolt.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Glad to hear all the money/effort is finally putting a smile on your face. You heading back to the dyno soon?
Old 05-22-2012, 01:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mac62989
Glad to hear all the money/effort is finally putting a smile on your face. You heading back to the dyno soon?
At some point, yes. I'll likely take it out to Broadview Auto in Warrenton VA since 1) it's closer, and 2) that's where I had it dynoed originally with cam + full bolt-ons so if I go there I can get a true A/B comparison of the old setup versus the new.

I got a couple more hours of seat time over the weekend - this thing is ridiculous. It's so tame a grandmother could drive it, but when you put your foot down it just explodes. The thing pulls like a freight train. I'm still learning to drive it - it's like a whole different car now. I'm definitely glad I went with sticky-ish 315's in the back, though - this thing needs 'em for sure!

In other news, I'm going to install a built trans before I beat on it any more. I don't want to blow it and send a bunch of trash through my Yank converter...
Old 05-22-2012, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's nice to hear happy customers! It seems like most of the time the happy ones are silent while the unhappy ones are the only ones to say anything
Old 05-22-2012, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At some point, yes. I'll likely take it out to Broadview Auto in Warrenton VA since 1) it's closer, and 2) that's where I had it dynoed originally with cam + full bolt-ons so if I go there I can get a true A/B comparison of the old setup versus the new.

I got a couple more hours of seat time over the weekend - this thing is ridiculous. It's so tame a grandmother could drive it, but when you put your foot down it just explodes. The thing pulls like a freight train. I'm still learning to drive it - it's like a whole different car now. I'm definitely glad I went with sticky-ish 315's in the back, though - this thing needs 'em for sure!

In other news, I'm going to install a built trans before I beat on it any more. I don't want to blow it and send a bunch of trash through my Yank converter...
Good call on the built trans! Losing a trans is never good. Besides, selling a working trans is much easier than selling a core LOL.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

Update #462: Ordered a trans kit from Dana at Pro-Built. Had a buddy in VA pull the trans and install it. He also charged up the A/C, re-bled the brakes, flushed the power steering fluid and did a couple other small things that I just didn't feel like doing. It's been so damn hot here for the last few months.

So anyway... NOW I'm ready to beat on her some! I just got the car back on Saturday and didn't really get on it too much, but the trans feels good so far. Shifts are a little harder than I'd like but maybe that'll change once it breaks in some...
Old 07-30-2012, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 889 Likes on 633 Posts

Dana is a GREAT guy to deal with. I have been doing business with him for years and his customer service is unmatched.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

No real updates... I still need to get it back up to RPM for a re-dyno, but I know they're in the process of moving now so I might not bug them till spring. Brought the car out today for a spin to work, took a couple crappy vids with my cell phone.

Cold start (about 48F out):

Cruisin:

I swear, it doesn't show up real well in the vid, but the 2nd best thing about this motor (1st is the driveability) is the SOUND. My god, it just sounds like a pissed off wildebeest at high RPM.

Rob
Old 11-21-2012, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

Excellent build. I love seeing street builds like this one with OBVIOUS attention paid to the details. One of these days, I hope to build something similar for may wife......well me too I guess!

Very nicely done!
Old 11-23-2012, 09:11 PM
Staging Lane

I swear, it doesn't show up real well in the vid, but the 2nd best thing about this motor (1st is the driveability) is the SOUND. My god, it just sounds like a pissed off wildebeest at high RPM.

Rob
I swear, straight up car ****...
Old 11-25-2012, 11:00 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We are actual up and running at our new facility so give us a call.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Any updates?

Quick Reply: My winter Mamo build is (mostly) done!