Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me build HP :D Naturally Aspirated!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Help me build HP :D Naturally Aspirated!

Hey all!

I'm hoping to make a big push towards going Naturally Aspirated.
How much horsepower will I get from these mods?

BBK SSI Intake Manifold (85mm) Its a 99 so I have LS1 intake manifold.
BBK Throttle Body (85mm)
Pacesetter Headers
Pacesetter ORY

And then, are things like a 85mm MAF & bellows, etc worth it?

I dyno'd my car and with the mods in my sig i'm making 295HP & 305TQ (A4)

Thanks!

Any suggestions are good too
Old 04-11-2012, 04:52 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Automatic?
Old 04-11-2012, 05:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

This depends on your definition of BIG NA power. I would ditch the BBK idea and your gonna need a good set of heads and 1 7/8 headers and big cam.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

keep your stock maf, its good for the power levels your trying to achieve...

+1 ^^ on 1 7/8 headers, just pick up a ls6 intake, get a custom cam specd for your combo, if you want more get up and go power get some 373 gears in your rear with a nice 3600 stall..

and pick up some 243 heads or aftermarket if your budget allows.. and don't forget allow atleast $400 for a dyno tune afterwards..
Old 04-11-2012, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 777Shock777
Hey all!

I'm hoping to make a big push towards going Naturally Aspirated.
How much horsepower will I get from these mods?

BBK SSI Intake Manifold (85mm) Its a 99 so I have LS1 intake manifold.
BBK Throttle Body (85mm)
Pacesetter Headers
Pacesetter ORY

And then, are things like a 85mm MAF & bellows, etc worth it?

I dyno'd my car and with the mods in my sig i'm making 295HP & 305TQ (A4)

Thanks!

Any suggestions are good too
No need for the 85mm TB either, plenty of big HP guys using the stocker..
Old 04-11-2012, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmm, interesting. Yes its Auto,,

Ok so it looks like 7/8s is the way to go. What is a good set of those? And what are those pacesetters then?

So I can see a new manifold is a good idea, I'm mainly just trying to reach 400hp or high 3s to the wheels
Old 04-12-2012, 07:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Burken is pretty spot on...You will need a pretty healthy cam to get to that goal, stall converter, stick to an LS6 manifold with ported TB etc. Basically full bolt-ons with a cam. I do not believe pacesetters makes 1 7/8s LTs, check out Texas Speed, they have their own brand of LTs for F-bodies that are pretty nice and priced well, Stainless 304 1 7/8s LTs for $499!, the y-pipe is another $129. You should also be able to pick up a used LS6 manifold for around 250-300, I bought my last one for 250.00 (had to replace my busted FAST intake)

TexasSpeed 1 7/8s LT headers
Old 04-12-2012, 08:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

BBK intake is a proven performer and will give you more power then the LS6. All the other mods look fine. Get yourself a nice stall converter and some gears if you have 273's
Old 04-12-2012, 08:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

i would go with a stall, gears, heads, cam, tune. But which ones? How deep are your pockets?

But thats just my opinion, and who am i?
Old 04-12-2012, 09:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not a fan of the BBK intake manifold, it's too prone to heat soak. Either get a LS6 intake and use your existing TB (you could get it ported) and MAF or step up to a FAST intake and matching TB (big bucks).

You will find it hard to make 400 hp with just bolt-ons. You'll need a decent biggish cam or better yet a pair of 243 heads (LS2/LS6) and a modest cam.

As for headers, nothing wrong with 1-3/4" primaries, they provide decent flow and good torque. The 1-7/8" are only needed if you are going after big power and high rpm.

Obviously, you'll need a tune to make the mods work right.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is great info!
So it looks like I should try to shoot for those TSP 1-7/8" Headers with the respective ORY.
And it looks like keeping the stock TB & just getting it P&P will help with a different intake manifold.

I'm probably leaning on getting the BBK intake manifold...
This is great info, I still don't know too much about cams unfortunately... I just know a big one makes your car Glug Glug Glug
Old 04-12-2012, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

This is great info!
So it looks like I should try to shoot for those TSP 1-7/8" Headers with the respective ORY.
And it looks like keeping the stock TB & just getting it P&P will help with a different intake manifold.

I'm probably leaning on getting the BBK intake manifold...
This is great info, I still don't know too much about cams unfortunately... I just know a big one makes your car Glug Glug Glug

If you are looking for a BBK intake you can probably find a used one for not much more than the LS6. Don't buy into the heatsoak nonsense either, that air is moving way too fast for it to be a huge factor. The intake is definitely more nitrous friendly than the composite intakes if you ever go that route as well. Plus it can be opened up for 90 MM TB down the road if needed (I.E. better heads, bigger cam etc).

With regard to the cam, you don't need a donkey dick cam to get to your goals, the new grinds from comp are pretty stout, talk to a vendor about your goals and go from there.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:47 PM
TECH Regular

Tsp head and cam package v2 cam prc stage 1 ls6 heads tsp 1 7/8 long tubes and y pipe atleast 3200 stall And if ur gonna stick with stock rear find a 6 speed fbody rear with 3:42 and keep it for back up when it's breaks The stall will do most the work
Old 04-13-2012, 12:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 03Sssnake
If you are looking for a BBK intake you can probably find a used one for not much more than the LS6. Don't buy into the heatsoak nonsense either, that air is moving way too fast for it to be a huge factor. The intake is definitely more nitrous friendly than the composite intakes if you ever go that route as well. Plus it can be opened up for 90 MM TB down the road if needed (I.E. better heads, bigger cam etc).

With regard to the cam, you don't need a donkey dick cam to get to your goals, the new grinds from comp are pretty stout, talk to a vendor about your goals and go from there.
Yeah I've been reading enough to kind of see the heatsoak thing is a myth.
I'm sure the manifold will get hot as hell, but the air is going in & out way too quick.
Yeah thats good that I could get it to at least 90mm if I ever went that route, great info man. I'll have to contact a vendor in regards to a cam.

p.s. i love frank sinatra's quote you got there!

Originally Posted by cory32690
Tsp head and cam package v2 cam prc stage 1 ls6 heads tsp 1 7/8 long tubes and y pipe atleast 3200 stall And if ur gonna stick with stock rear find a 6 speed fbody rear with 3:42 and keep it for back up when it's breaks The stall will do most the work
Thats a good idea, I know the A4 is a little less harsh on the rear, but I'm sure with some mods it'll bust eventually. I still might use this as a slight daily on some weeks, would a 3200 stall be too over the top?
Old 04-13-2012, 09:35 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah I've been reading enough to kind of see the heatsoak thing is a myth.
It's not a myth. LS engines have heatsoak problems, that's a fact. A metal intake manifold increases that problem. I've taken pains to improve air circulation under the hood of my GTO and isolated the air entering the intake which has helped performance. Yeah, I've seen a bunch of posts claiming it's a myth, but have you noticed nobody ever posts any proof?

I've seen time and time again at the dragstrip where putting a bag of ice onto the stock composite intake manifold works to improve ET. I personally have not seen this done on a BBK, but common sense and physics of thermal heat conductance indicates the problem would be worse with a metal intake manifold.

You can claim it's a myth if you want, but it doesn't change the facts. Regardless, it's your car, if you want to get a BBK intake, then do it. I have not seen consist dyno gains with this intake though.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by batboy
It's not a myth. LS engines have heatsoak problems, that's a fact. A metal intake manifold increases that problem. I've taken pains to improve air circulation under the hood of my GTO and isolated the air entering the intake which has helped performance. Yeah, I've seen a bunch of posts claiming it's a myth, but have you noticed nobody ever posts any proof?

I've seen time and time again at the dragstrip where putting a bag of ice onto the stock composite intake manifold works to improve ET. I personally have not seen this done on a BBK, but common sense and physics of thermal heat conductance indicates the problem would be worse with a metal intake manifold.

You can claim it's a myth if you want, but it doesn't change the facts. Regardless, it's your car, if you want to get a BBK intake, then do it. I have not seen consist dyno gains with this intake though.
I wish they had some hard evidence...
WELL, if anyone would like to send me a BBK & FAST intake I'd pay the dyno prices haha

What intake sizes do they offer for FAST? I don't want to go with the 102mm... Id take something smaller in the 80s or 90s. But I'm not seeing them on WS6store, Texas Speed, or even FAST's Website...

If they only have the 102mm I think I'll stick to BBK and figure a way out to get it to run cooler.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:43 AM
11 Second Club

There are several FAST intake manifolds that are no longer being made, but you might still find them in the classified ads or eBay. The FAST 78 uses the LS1 TB and is a direct fit. It's good for about 10 hp, but is hard to find. There are FAST 90 and FAST 92 that require 90mm or 92mm TBs. I found a ported FAST 90 that made 25 more hp on my GTO.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by batboy
There are several FAST intake manifolds that are no longer being made, but you might still find them in the classified ads or eBay. The FAST 78 uses the LS1 TB and is a direct fit. It's good for about 10 hp, but is hard to find. There are FAST 90 and FAST 92 that require 90mm or 92mm TBs. I found a ported FAST 90 that made 25 more hp on my GTO.
Cool man I'll definitely take a look to see if there are any left.

Now a question, regardless of whether I get FAST or BBK or LS6.. Will I need to upgrade my Fuel Lines?

How's the fitment with BBK & the stock TB?
Old 04-13-2012, 01:20 PM
11 Second Club

The FAST can use the stock fuel rails and injectors. Dunno about the BBK. The FAST 90/92 must use a 4 bolt TB, the stock LS1 won't fit. I used a 90mm Nick Williams cable drive TB on mine.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm excited! The only downside is all of this costs a pretty good chunk of change.
I hope to purchase an intake manifold/headers at the same time so it can be a much bigger change all at once!

Quick Reply: Help me build HP :D Naturally Aspirated!