Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro-Comp Head Studs sold on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 07:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by k_cash1432
What if ARP did the research on the ebay knock offs and found they were just as good so they left them alone and arnt saying anything?
I'd bet $$$ that they have checked them. There are (at least) two reaons you won't hear either way. One, they are as good and it's a business decision to keep it hushed. Two, if they are NOT as good and ARP were to say this publicly, there will be lawyers involved and you know what that means...
Old 04-25-2012, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously...If you can't afford to spend $250 on fasteners,you can't afford to modify your car.Or at the very least your project is to ambitious for your budget.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of extra dollars are spent on engine builds because most people do not know what works and is good enough or overkill...so they go overkill because it makes them feel better. I love arp stuff and it is a rip off for anything but a race engine and probabley there also. I recently built a 600 rwhp ls7, 427 and used a lot of top of the line components. I also used factory head and main bolts, oil pump, cam chain. I spent my money on heads, intake, valvesprings, cam, head gaskets, rods, and crankshaft. I would probably try the ebay stuff for the savings. If it holds the torque it will probably be fine.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What's the need for head studs? The way that everyone is saying that for mild builds these studs may work fine, but why would you need studs on a mild build? You can find used ARP bolts here for $100 shipped and brand new ones for $150...

If you are going to chance your build by using eBay head studs, you may as well not even bother degreeing your cam, measuring PTV clearance with a custom cam, and just impact the heads down to the block...

Just my $.02
Old 04-25-2012, 11:56 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Impact on the head bolts!?!?!? Damn! I've been doing it all wrong!!

I use a hammer-wrench with a mini sledge to get the final torque of 1080* past gud-n-tite....
Old 04-26-2012, 04:17 PM
Staging Lane

Even though I have sold some nice stuff there, buying anything structural on ebay scares me.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01cherryreds10
What's the need for head studs? The way that everyone is saying that for mild builds these studs may work fine, but why would you need studs on a mild build? You can find used ARP bolts here for $100 shipped and brand new ones for $150...

If you are going to chance your build by using eBay head studs, you may as well not even bother degreeing your cam, measuring PTV clearance with a custom cam, and just impact the heads down to the block...

Just my $.02
Studs are easier on the block threads. There is a twisting force that goes along with bolts, which is not ideal with an aluminum blocks.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

From my PERSONAL experience there is nothing wrong with the ebay headstuds. I have them on my 6.0 and another user burger has them on his engine with I believe a 300 shot. Most people who use these don't know how to install them. Ie. Leave **** in the bores or don't put anti seize on the threads while installing them and break them or use an uncalibrated torque wrench. Also most people go off what they hear on here. Which 90% of what this site is, is useless bickering and gossip if you don't spend 10,000 on your motor it won't perform at all. Kind of like the custom cam scam...
Old 04-27-2012, 12:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by 01cherryreds10

Just my $.02

Truth Truth.

I'm surprised someone hasn't done a LS1 Ebay engine build. Reground cam, ebay head studs, some heads no one has ever heard of, XS headers( I gots me some of those) rocker arms and maybe a CAI.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

ive used the ebay head studs for 3 years now. theyve been on and off the motor 3 times and still no issues. I must have gotten a good set lmao. my motto is: if you dont know or haven used them, then keep your mouth shut and let the people who do have experience with them chime in.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97badass
Kind of like the custom cam scam...
Custom cam scam?! I is been had!!
Old 04-30-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

What I mean by the "custom cam scam" is all the Newbs think you can't make any power with an off the shelf cam it has to be a custom grind nothing else will work.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There's always going to be something left on the table with a shelf cam..... Unless you build the exact same setup as a magazine does
Old 04-30-2012, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well yeah, dontcha know the mag companies make 200 more hp than anyone else because its on the front cover and our engines are not.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Launching!

I personally wouldn't use the ebay studs, without more posts of people who have used them and give me some more confidence. However, I will say ARP is NOT perfect. My Camaro has ARP Rod bolts, cam bolts, harmonic bolt, head bolts and I had no issues, I'm even using the same ARP stuff on my LSX Foxbody build.

About two months ago a buddy of mine built a 383 LT1 and used all ARP fasteners, first we got the head studs and whoever machined them, had machined both ends as Fine thread rather than fine thread/Coarse Thread...Called ARP and they argued with him til he said he wouldn't ever buy another product from em and then they sent new studs. We got to install the rotating assembly, they sent us studs that were too short to run a windage tray, which they claimed would work without issue, not a huge deal so I machined some spacers for the windage tray. Get the motor in and it runs good til we find a vacuum leak, so we fix that and start up again...buddy revs the engine to 4k and throws a rod through the block......We pulled the oil pan off and two of the rod bolt nuts had no threads in em...the bolts wiped out the threads. The builder followed the installation instructions exactly. This had to be an ARP failure...we have tried calling them weekly for the two months now and after we give names and ask for someone high up they either ignore the call or hang up.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

I would stop calling them "Ebay Studs" they are sold on Ebay, but they are not Ebay Brand or Mystery brand. ARPs are also sold on Ebay....
Old 05-02-2012, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Revoroller
I personally wouldn't use the ebay studs, without more posts of people who have used them and give me some more confidence. However, I will say ARP is NOT perfect. My Camaro has ARP Rod bolts, cam bolts, harmonic bolt, head bolts and I had no issues, I'm even using the same ARP stuff on my LSX Foxbody build.

About two months ago a buddy of mine built a 383 LT1 and used all ARP fasteners, first we got the head studs and whoever machined them, had machined both ends as Fine thread rather than fine thread/Coarse Thread...Called ARP and they argued with him til he said he wouldn't ever buy another product from em and then they sent new studs. We got to install the rotating assembly, they sent us studs that were too short to run a windage tray, which they claimed would work without issue, not a huge deal so I machined some spacers for the windage tray. Get the motor in and it runs good til we find a vacuum leak, so we fix that and start up again...buddy revs the engine to 4k and throws a rod through the block......We pulled the oil pan off and two of the rod bolt nuts had no threads in em...the bolts wiped out the threads. The builder followed the installation instructions exactly. This had to be an ARP failure...we have tried calling them weekly for the two months now and after we give names and ask for someone high up they either ignore the call or hang up.
very interested in pics if you have any.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RezinTexas
very interested in pics if you have any.
My buddy works on a drilling rig and wont be back until sunday, so I wont be able to get any til then. But I will for sure post some, maybe it'll get some attention from someone at ARP....
Old 05-03-2012, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

I picked up some ebay studs an installed the everything looks fine.Any kind of stud is better than a torque to yeild bolt, most guys on here like myself are building big horsepower junk yard turbo motors so who cares if something breaks.Main studs and rod bolts i would probably be a good idea to use arps but who's to say. But head studs are a different story there are no tight clearances. Its all up to what you want to build. I seen cheap stuff break and high end stuff break. Just when the high end stuff breaks your wallet takes a serious beating. And really what company warranties their stuff as soon as its used for racing the warranty is over.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lsx74camaro
I picked up some ebay studs an installed the everything looks fine.Any kind of stud is better than a torque to yeild bolt, most guys on here like myself are building big horsepower junk yard turbo motors so who cares if something breaks.Main studs and rod bolts i would probably be a good idea to use arps but who's to say. But head studs are a different story there are no tight clearances. Its all up to what you want to build. I seen cheap stuff break and high end stuff break. Just when the high end stuff breaks your wallet takes a serious beating. And really what company warranties their stuff as soon as its used for racing the warranty is over.
Turbonetics warraties there turbos even for racing as long as dont break there seal.
but yea. cheap stuff and hi end stuff, it all breaks. even oe stuff breaks. noway around it.

Quick Reply: Pro-Comp Head Studs sold on Ebay