Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAM is in!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 01:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAM is in!

Welp I'd like to thank the people who helped me out in my other thread about my cam decision. I think I chose the right cam. My 232/232 .574 .574 112 is in and it's running good...Put everything in myself along with some help from my friend on the springs and Radiator...My coolant was leaking like crazy and so was my oil...I also forgot to put in water with my coolant and my temp went past 210 and I freaked out..so I stopped at the gas station just down the hill from my house (thank God for 76) and my friends told me to put in water and that's when I did...then after I put the water in, I started up the car, drove about 10 feet and saw smoke coming from my engine bay, and I stopped and turned it off, opened the hood and saw that it was leaking coolant like crazy on the ground and it was hitting my headers and that's the reason for the smoke...So I finally went back home (mind you that my temp was staying at a current 210 now since I put the water in ) looked under my car and I was still leaking coolant, but now I was leaking oil from my oil pan/pulley.... at least that's what I saw, but not 100%...anyways, to move on, later I put in more water, more coolant, went to my friends house, and the light turned off, the oil stopped leaking as well as the coolant, and my main questions are, 1) Is it normal for what happened to me, to happen to anyone, and 2) how bad is it to drive my car untuned... thanks guys...
Old 03-26-2004, 06:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was it leaking or was it just excess coolant burning off. I had no leaks from my front pulley seal, did you buy a new one it only costs about 5.00 .I had to have mine tuned its an A4 and I was throwing misfire codes and my car would not idle to well so the tuning was a must for me.

I would get it tuned it will really help you out , a good tune will net u some good horsepower and torque.

Congrats on the cam install
Old 03-26-2004, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

ttt...any answers on my questions?
Old 03-26-2004, 08:59 PM
TECH Regular

Do you have oil pressure?
Old 03-27-2004, 05:02 AM
On The Tree

yeah...
Old 03-27-2004, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you missed something like adding water to the antifreeze, pretty much anything is possible. Try and get someone to look it over.

In the meantime, describe how you aligned the front cover when you reinstalled it. Just bolt it up and install the balancer, or the right way?
Old 03-27-2004, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

uh oh...lol..can you explain the right way?
Old 03-27-2004, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Loosely install the cover, then install the balancer (dry, no grease/oil on the surface where it touches the seal) being careful that the outer lip of the seal doesn't get pushed in by the balancer.

Ensure the seal/balancer gap is uniform all the way around by adjusting the cover position, then torque the cover bolts to spec.

How close did what you did come to this?