Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Four Valve Heads Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 02:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't read the whole thread but chevy is making an LS2 3-valve head for the new ZO6 due out next year. You might want to wait and see what they are capable of. They will be used on the Ls2 6.3 that will make 500hp from the factory. This is not in stone but I have read it in several magazines so I hope it happens. Good luck.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:04 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bodhi
As many have stated, why fix what's not broken? We are getting killer #'s out of the stock heads. It's the intake that is slowing us down. Why not do the R&D on some killer new intake designs? MAybe something along the lines of a mass produced sheetmetal intake with a large plenum and short runners.
A Victor style FI intake for the LSx's would be awesome.

The stock heads are good adn they are working, but there is more potential there, AFR is working it out. Maybe you could make a street head affordable- (relatively) small runners, high velocity for us stock cube guys...
I think there are three big issues:

1) Intake. We need a better intake. My guess, since the hype has died down considerably, is that the FAST intake doesn't cut the mustard for the price, and that GM is going to up and blow them away with the LS2 intake... hopefully, the LS2 intake is enough.

2) AFR has screwed the pooch. We needed a low cost, thick deck, high lift capable, great all around head, and we only got 2 out of 4. I have yet to see an A/B with a Stage 2 head that showed a clear advantage - ESPECIALLY since the cams are limited to .550 lift without an added charge over and above the ridiculus $2600 price.

3) The last LS1 issue is the piston and rod combo, which has plagued us for a while. Seems that Diamond has stepped up there, along with others, but it seems to me that big-bore motors are still problematic.

I guess that's my little "State of the LS1 Aftermarket" speech.

In the end, the entire aftermarket had better realize that GM is pretty darned good at engineering motors, and the way to make inroads is to identify where GM had to cut corners away from maximum performance to accomplish other goals (fuel economy, emissions, etc...) that the aftermarket doesn't have to worry about.

Quick Reply: Four Valve Heads Anyone?