Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve train noise video (moved from external genIII)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 09:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

more questions.

So I put it all back together with the 7.350's, I had just used the stock length approx 7.38. After it started the lifters were noisier then they were before.

My question is regarding measuring. When I use my comp cam tool im at 7.625 plus my preload approx .088 with 7.350

It takes 1.25 turns to from zero lash to torgue. Using the other method of turns .047 per turn gives me .059 and someone else says to subtract 1/3 turn because of the 1/3 of no movement to torque. Then I have .043

Where am I going wrong.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mcdonald77
more questions.

So I put it all back together with the 7.350's, I had just used the stock length approx 7.38. After it started the lifters were noisier then they were before.

My question is regarding measuring. When I use my comp cam tool im at 7.625 plus my preload approx .088 with 7.350

It takes 1.25 turns to from zero lash to torgue. Using the other method of turns .047 per turn gives me .059 and someone else says to subtract 1/3 turn because of the 1/3 of no movement to torque. Then I have .043

Where am I going wrong.

update,

As soon as the lifters pumped up they stopped the clacking. There is still some noise inside the cab and down by the long tubes where they go past the block. I did take a stethoscope to the block. All noises some normal top and bottom, the low end has a nice whirling sound, top end sounds like a moving valve train, not abusive noises. The loudest racket is coming from the injectors, damn there loud. I wonder if the injector noise can travel down and amplify through the headers. Still runs like its **** don't stink so I am officially done chasing the phantom valve train noise. I figure this thread will be a good learning tool for newbies.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default you gotta be f-ing kidding me!

Another update. So my valvetrain noise has gotten worse. I just rolled about 4,000 miles and cranked it up the other day. It sat while I did a vette brake swap and the lifters sounded worse. I warmed it up and drove it down the street. At approx 4000 rpm the "normal" chatter went to quiet and back to chatter a few times. I let the rpms settle and put her back in the garage. Upon inspecting the oil it appears there is some fine metal particles in the oil, not much at all but enought that when I wipe the dipstick on a towel I see a little glimmer where the specs are. Plans are to pull the heads and inspect the lifters and cam. If nothing is found the block will get pulled and mains inspected. While I am in there new springs and a PatG cam will be added. No point in doing all that work with out an upgrade. The whole time oil pressure was approx 55 at idel and 65ish under load

newest video, good headphones and speakers recommended to hear the real noises down low.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Pulled my intake and valley cover tonight. The front and rear visible lobes look great. For the 4000 miles there was not much oil in the intake at all. Where to go from here. I will put it up high on jack stand tomorrow and look for exhaust leaks. When I notched the crossmember the engine and trans did flex up and down a few times. I think I am still going to swap in new lifters and remeasure the pushrod length. I can also measure the head height to see if they were milled and maybe have some shaved off.

input?

Old 10-03-2012, 10:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

if a spun bearing was developing would there be oil pressure issues? My pressure has always been around 60 at start up, around 55 at idle warn and about 60 to 65 under load.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

You don't have a spun bearing with oil pressure like that. When you install the intake make sure the 2 foam pads underneath are in good shape, or get some new ones.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hiltsy855
You don't have a spun bearing with oil pressure like that. When you install the intake make sure the 2 foam pads underneath are in good shape, or get some new ones.
thanks for the input. I was following your thread on lifters. Debating what I should use this go around. Might chance the LS7's again, not sure. I will use the comp trunion upgrade. I used a stethiscope and I can not pin point the ticking to a certain cylinder.

Quick Reply: Valve train noise video (moved from external genIII)