Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Testing New LS1/LS6 Timing Chain Dampener

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

so OP do you have any? willing to buy !!!
Old 09-28-2012, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So $95 for an actual GM production piece that was designed by GM, tested by GM, and made out of a material they approve for use in an engine is too much, when a one-off handmade piece made by some guy out of god knows what for use in a drift car, tested in ONE engine is worth $75? Oooook....
Old 09-28-2012, 11:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
So $95 for an actual GM production piece that was designed by GM, tested by GM, and made out of a material they approve for use in an engine is too much, when a one-off handmade piece made by some guy out of god knows what for use in a drift car, tested in ONE engine is worth $75? Oooook....
Those have been long discontinued, if a shop out there can make safe alternatives, it would be pretty nice. Also, most people will have to drill & tap the block to mount either of these designs...
Old 09-28-2012, 11:47 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was still helpful information for those that weren't even thinking about buying one. Thank you for bringing up your findings. Good luck with the parts.

I currently have one from Katech. L33's have Gen 4 bolt spacing for anyone that needs to know.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZexGX
Those have been long discontinued, if a shop out there can make safe alternatives, it would be pretty nice. Also, most people will have to drill & tap the block to mount either of these designs...
Like I said earlier, Katech has them in stock. I just bought one, it is on my desk as I type this.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

FYI, you can get both the TFS Adapter(TFS-30675600) and Dampener(TFS-30675540) for $60.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
I was under impression, that the standart dampener is made for use with single row chain, so it is more narrow.
And I totally dissagree that GM makes a stuff and test it's, none of the car manufacturers actually test they engines in the long run, they design and make one, if there are any major faults, they recall the things or issue service bulletin with modiffied parts, but that's it. Testing is the waste of money.
Other thing is material, they use cheapest material available for application, to keep the costs down, nobody intrested in making engine parts that last forewer, because of aftersales, that's were they start earning some real money.
I would go for a delrin alternative, becouse of the propetties of it, it is allmost the best material for such application.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:11 AM
On The Tree

Dominic,

I would like to back up a bit and ask a couple of questions:

1) Why did you install a double row timing chain? The chains that Corvette Racing, Katech, etc. use are single row.

2) Was the engine equipped with a dry sump system?

3) If you did not have a dry sump system on the engine, what oil pump did you use?

Thanks, and good luck with your new project.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomis
I was under impression, that the standart dampener is made for use with single row chain, so it is more narrow.
And I totally dissagree that GM makes a stuff and test it's, none of the car manufacturers actually test they engines in the long run, they design and make one, if there are any major faults, they recall the things or issue service bulletin with modiffied parts, but that's it. Testing is the waste of money.
Other thing is material, they use cheapest material available for application, to keep the costs down, nobody intrested in making engine parts that last forewer, because of aftersales, that's were they start earning some real money.
I would go for a delrin alternative, becouse of the propetties of it, it is allmost the best material for such application.
Totally wrong. If you had done some research on the history of the R & D that was done on the LS series engine you would not have posted up such an incorrect statement.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Katech has some nice stuff, but for what it costs it better be gold plated. Not bashing them, or gm or anyone else. But its a damn piece of plastic to keep slack out of a chain. Its not no complicated design, as long as the material is correct I dont see why it matters.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slt200mph
totally wrong. If you had done some research on the history of the r & d that was done on the ls series engine you would not have posted up such an incorrect statement.

I Agree ! ! !
Old 09-29-2012, 11:36 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is plenty thick for a double row. I have a dry sump.

Name:  IMAG0766.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  102.4 KB
Old 09-30-2012, 12:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Tomis GM actually tested LS engines for YEARS before releasing to the public, it's called research and development...they even ran some engines full throttle 24 hours a day for a month...and they survived, the LS platform is as strong is it is in the marketplace due to the many hours developing these engines, almost 16 years with minimal change which is most impressive...
Old 09-30-2012, 03:12 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

Marysville WA, home of stonhenge. I'm in Portland, a stones throw away. Get it?.....

Looks like a good part. So quit bashing him.
Delrin is neat stuff. Slippery, reasonably easy to machine. I have built suspension bushings with it.

Dominic, nice idea. Would be neat if you machined a small grove in it to align the dots!

Myself, I used a Cloyes adj. setup and there was no slack in the chain. I'm sure there will be some after time, but nothing like the LS2 chain is brand new. My block is a 2000, I do not believe it was drilled.

Ron
Old 10-02-2012, 12:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Delrin is not the ideal choice for a timing chain dampener. Nylatron GSM or Nylon 4.6 (Stanyl) is a much better choice due to their heat, wear, and chemical resistance properties.

I went with an SLP double roller setup for my build and there was no noticeable slack, yet I have still heard of double rollers breaking in road course use.

Last edited by ZexGX; 10-02-2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slt200mph
Totally wrong. If you had done some research on the history of the R & D that was done on the LS series engine you would not have posted up such an incorrect statement.
Looks like I was wrong.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
Hey Tomis GM actually tested LS engines for YEARS before releasing to the public, it's called research and development...they even ran some engines full throttle 24 hours a day for a month...and they survived, the LS platform is as strong is it is in the marketplace due to the many hours developing these engines, almost 16 years with minimal change which is most impressive...
After all those threads, I am convinced, I will look for that monting adapter and GM chain dampener.

Quick Reply: Testing New LS1/LS6 Timing Chain Dampener