Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All 1st batch eagle cranks recalled

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 08:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All 1st batch eagle cranks recalled

After dealing with eagle for the last two months on these 1st batch released ls1 forged cranks from eagle. They finally recalled any/all cranks because they know they screwed up.

They initally told me they would reimburse us for the 5 cranks we are building strokers with for customers that have been very patient in waiting over the last couple months. Finally after clearancing them to thier "spec", we got the cranks back from machine shop and went for assembly. They didnt quite have clearance we needed still. So we have them reclearanced (a total of 2 hundreths of an inch was taken off all the counterweights). Then sent back out to balance. These cranks wouldnt even come CLOSE to balancing. Total was a $400-500 bill per crank if we wanted to have heavy metal put in them to balance them. Another week of back and forth on the phone with eagle. Finally they issued UPS call pickup-tags on all the cranks, and shipped us out their new "Re-released Cranks"

Which they self clearanced and changed the balance on so they could be internally balanced without any extra work.

So now another week wait till they get here. Geez im very lucky to have patient customers, cause this has been a nightmare doing all the r&d FOR eagle. But they swear the new cranks ill recieve next week will be perfect and work great on a 4.0" stroker /w 6.125" rods etc.

We will wait and see, if not im going to order up some scat or callies cranks and try and get a refund on the 5 grand in eagle cranks we ordered up.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

holy hell! has ANYONE got a motor put together with Eagle cranks? Just haven't really heard of anything actually going together yet.

Chris
Old 03-31-2004, 10:32 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

I've heard of 4 motors built, but don't know of them actually running in a vehicle yet. Reckless built two of them, and I think they are finished. I also think Keith Craft had at least two in the works a couple of weeks back. When I checked with them, all was going fine. They were using JE pistons, not Diamond which the cranks were having the clearance issues with.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

$1000 for an Eagle & $500+ to fix it would suck.

Too bad they didn't actually test one of their new cranks in an LS1 with the most commonly used pistons before shipping them out. That would have a lot of face for them.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I called on cranks I was quoted
$950 for a eagle crank and $400-$500 to balance
$1200 for a -.010 Callies crank and $125 to balance.
It's cheaper for the Callies and it's a better crank.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went with the Callies. Good crank.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

man that stinks, i have a buddy with a eagle 383 stroker, thats been running for about a month. Crank had to be clearanced along with the block.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI, check the pilot bearing hole too, even if you're not building for a manual tranny car... I've heard of more than one story where the stock pilot bearing would slide into the hole without any force, and could be pulled out by hand quite easily....

Just another tolerance that Eagle should have checked before shipping out the 1st batch. (and of all things that should be one they got on the small side, cause you can always remove material...)
Old 04-01-2004, 07:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
When I called on cranks I was quoted
$950 for a eagle crank and $400-$500 to balance
$1200 for a -.010 Callies crank and $125 to balance.
It's cheaper for the Callies and it's a better crank.
Glad I got the -.010 rod journal Callies too.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

One crank was shaved 180-thous and is in Peter Kelly's car in Plano, Texas. He stated it is running fine but needs tuning. The machine shop had to add lots of mallory to get it balanced though. The second crank was recalled by Eagle weeks ago and I am still waiting for the new one. Luckily it's a friend's motor, and he has been patient. Funny thing is, the machine shop was gonna cut it down and balance it until they discovered the key way was cut about 40-thou too wide Good thing my machine shop does better QC than Eagle.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:45 AM
Launching!

Glad I got the -.010 rod journal Callies too.
Same here. After seeing all the problems Eagle was having and is still having, I'm glad I ordered a Callies.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:05 AM
Teching In

I also went with the callies crank.Spend the extra money the eagle is junk
Old 04-01-2004, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Romac, the damper division of Rollmaster makes an internal and an external damper for LS1's if this helps anyone.

Chris
Old 04-01-2004, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

Made with pride in China

Was all of this grief worth the money that was "saved" on the initial purchase?
Old 04-01-2004, 07:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by C4VetteLS1
After dealing with eagle for the last two months on these 1st batch released ls1 forged cranks from eagle. They finally recalled any/all cranks because they know they screwed up.

They initally told me they would reimburse us for the 5 cranks we are building strokers with for customers that have been very patient in waiting over the last couple months. Finally after clearancing them to thier "spec", we got the cranks back from machine shop and went for assembly. They didnt quite have clearance we needed still. So we have them reclearanced (a total of 2 hundreths of an inch was taken off all the counterweights). Then sent back out to balance. These cranks wouldnt even come CLOSE to balancing. Total was a $400-500 bill per crank if we wanted to have heavy metal put in them to balance them. Another week of back and forth on the phone with eagle. Finally they issued UPS call pickup-tags on all the cranks, and shipped us out their new "Re-released Cranks"

Is Eagle going to reimburse you for all the money you have spent on machining their cranks?
Which they self clearanced and changed the balance on so they could be internally balanced without any extra work.

So now another week wait till they get here. Geez im very lucky to have patient customers, cause this has been a nightmare doing all the r&d FOR eagle. But they swear the new cranks ill recieve next week will be perfect and work great on a 4.0" stroker /w 6.125" rods etc.

We will wait and see, if not im going to order up some scat or callies cranks and try and get a refund on the 5 grand in eagle cranks we ordered up.
Is Eagle going to reimburse you for the machine work you did trying to get their cranks to work?