Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Started my heads/cam tonight

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 07:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking Started my heads/cam tonight

so far all is going well I should have at least the intake off before the night is through...depending when my help arrives we might even be able to get around to getting the heads off too well im off...wish me luck.

lata
Bill
Old 04-01-2004, 07:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take your time and make sure you label everything you take off and you should be fine.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wish you the best. Hopefully I will be doing headers soon so eventually I will get to heads and cam! Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 04-01-2004, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good luck and take your time and keep everything CLEAN. And then tell us how it went ASAP.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Done yet?
Old 04-01-2004, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so is this your first H/C swap, if so please tell us of any problems you had or things for us to look out for.......so what kind of heads and cam...?
Old 04-01-2004, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

You better get the intake off, it only takes 20 minutes Good luck!
Old 04-01-2004, 11:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

this is my first head "swap"...ive replaced a few head gaskets in my day but thats about it...the intake is a bitch to get off especially with the tranny dipstick tube in the way but we eventually got everything off and out...were about 1/2 way done id say...were down to i think 6 head bolts on each side left to undue and then its on to the cam and were in the home stretch as i see it
Attached Thumbnails Started my heads/cam tonight-headswapday1-2.jpg  
Old 04-01-2004, 11:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by ATXCAMAROGUY
You better get the intake off, it only takes 20 minutes Good luck!
haha 20 minutes per rear bolt maybe
Old 04-01-2004, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

things are definately goin good, and don't worry, bill and i have screwed up enough projects to know we need to label everything...lol
hopefully we can get teh rest of this done tomorrow or saturday afternoon and get the car fired again(open headers of course )

later
tim
Old 04-01-2004, 11:56 PM
TECH Resident

Your damn picture makes it look so, so easy, good luck. Where are you at now assuming this is an all nighter?
Old 04-01-2004, 11:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by foff667
haha 20 minutes per rear bolt maybe

after you get done the first time... it'll be much quicker in the future I've got it down to about 45 mins remove and reinstall...

Air tools definetly help....

Just take your time and you'll be fine...

last year april I installed my own heads, cam, double timing chain, oil pump, headers, lifters, push rods rockers, etc... (this was the first time I had ever taken the top end of a motor apart... I just followed the instructions on ls1howto.com and was set...

http://www.horist.com/images/headcam/thumbs/index.htm are pics of my install in case it helps (i've only got a 384kbps up stream pipe so click on what you want to see)
Old 04-02-2004, 09:49 AM
12 Second Club

lol.. man, that pic looks familiar. I just got done with my heads/cam/intake/timing chain/oil pump/headers/etc.....install!! It was kinda intimidatiing at first, but it seems the further I got, the easier it got. When I got it all buttoned back up, and fired it up for the first time, man, what a feeling of accomplishment, and joy!!

Just remember, take your time, and don't get frustrated, or you will mess up. With the cam and heads I'm running, I had to flycut my pistons, and I had the driver's side done, I wanted to hurry up and get done on the passengers side. Well, I got a lil ahead of myself, and didn't cut enough, so I had to go back and do a few over. VERY frustrating!

Looking good so far.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:25 AM
Restricted User

Make sure you chase the bolt hole out very well. I used one of the old head bolts, one each size, and cut the groove in it like on the jmx install write-up works great, and air doesnt hurt either. Good luck. Gotta love the engineering behind the PS pump bracket.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by blk~2000~Z28
Your damn picture makes it look so, so easy, good luck. Where are you at now assuming this is an all nighter?
we probably shouldve made it an all nighter with the weather were having on the east coast right now...since yesterday was beautiful, but were doing it over a 2-4 day span...hopefully just 2-3 but who knows. We start up again after work today so I'll let everyone know how its goin and if we have any snags

lata
Bill
Old 04-02-2004, 03:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by CAT3
Make sure you chase the bolt hole out very well. I used one of the old head bolts, one each size, and cut the groove in it like on the jmx install write-up works great, and air doesnt hurt either. Good luck. Gotta love the engineering behind the PS pump bracket.
dude yah that powersteering pump was a joke...those 2 bolts mustve been designed by a blind man...ive got my air compressor and gun so ive got one end covered as well as a large tap set so I should be just fine thanks.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

well day 2 was pretty unproductive...we got the heads off but thats pretty much it...hopefully tomorrow will be a little easier on the back and arm muscles...we have to pull the pulley and cam and slap everything back together...without using a flywheel locking tool whats the easist way to lock up the flywheel? ive heard of goin in from the bottom hole instead of the starter hole...what do you guys recommmend?

thanks
Bill
Old 04-03-2004, 03:37 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm in the middle of mine too I've got the drivers side head one and the cam installed. Its pretty easy especially compared to my old LT1 car. Get ready for A LONG time clean up of the bolt holes. Getting the coolant out, cleaning the threads with the grinded on bolt and cleaning the block took forever. I'm a little of a perfectionist but really does take awhile I got it so all my head bolts thread in and out by hand.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:51 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 93TAWicked1
I'm in the middle of mine too I've got the drivers side head one and the cam installed. Its pretty easy especially compared to my old LT1 car. Get ready for A LONG time clean up of the bolt holes. Getting the coolant out, cleaning the threads with the grinded on bolt and cleaning the block took forever. I'm a little of a perfectionist but really does take awhile I got it so all my head bolts thread in and out by hand.
hehe thats kewl i just scraped the drivers side gasket crap off and used my air compressor to get out most of the water...i'll finish up all that crap today, ive got to see if i can track down my oil pressure sender first so at least we can get it back together soon...then comes the cam and all that stuff...did u have to unbolt the other thing in the back of the intake manifold next to the pressure sender to get your cam in? Someone had mentioned this too me but had never heard of that before. Anywayz, good luck.

lata
Bill