Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinion on LS1 block imperfections before reassembly

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Opinion on LS1 block imperfections before reassembly

I'm about to reassemble my LS1 and while inspecting the block I notice quite a few rough/sharp edges in the water and oil passages from the factory casting process. Is it beneficial to smooth these out some or is it not worth the trouble? Thanks
Old 07-31-2012, 09:49 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

you bring up a critical topic; inspecting the oil galley/passages, without the hex plugs out/the barbell/and the front metal plug, your not going to get things properly cleaned from the machine shop

Measurements and cleanliness are the BASIC's prior to any engine assembly(don't quote me here as I don't build LS motors daily).............but I have seen a block come back from the machine shop 'cleaned' only to remove an oil galley plug with shavings behind it

Study the oil passages, what path the oil takes...........only oil that hits the filter is the oil being sucked up the p/u tube thru the pump and into the filter, anything else could be headed right to the main's
Old 07-31-2012, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

You might have misunderstood my question. I was just noticing some rough edges that I'm sure are on every block because of the GM casting process. I was wondering if I would be alright to pass my dremel over some of them to smooth out the flow somewhat?
Old 07-31-2012, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pics?
Old 08-01-2012, 08:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SickDenali
You might have misunderstood my question. I was just noticing some rough edges that I'm sure are on every block because of the GM casting process. I was wondering if I would be alright to pass my dremel over some of them to smooth out the flow somewhat?
Prolly won't do anything to "smooth out flow", I do it just because I don't like handling rough edges with my bare hands...
Old 08-01-2012, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It isn't an old school small block...oiling system doesn't need any "help", it would be minimally beneficial...but on the other hand cleaning the passages of debris is critical!
Old 08-02-2012, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

Alright thanks for the thoughts. I'll prolly smooth out the easy to see ones and focus the rest of my time on getting the block spotless.