Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bbk vs ls6 intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chevybayboy
?? I can drive mine pop the hood and place my hand on my bbk and its not hot,I have mine painted,black idk if that helps or not
I think the heat soak if any is very minimal at best. Hot coolant doesnt flow through it like it does on the GEN I.

I'm sure your not being totally honest here. Its metal and sitting on an engine that 200+degrees....Its going to get hot.

The BBK isnt as popular as the FAST so that tells me its nothing really special. If it was, it would be a better seller considering the price tag. I'm sure the BBK will gain some power over the LS1 intake, but nothing to brag about when compared to the LS6 or the FAST.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

?? I can drive mine pop the hood and place my hand on my bbk and its not hot,I have mine painted,black idk if that helps or not
Bullshit. Make a vid of ur temp at 210 and pop hood and let me see u hold ur hand on that intake. My friends seemed to be 200* after sitting for an hour.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
Bullshit. Make a vid of ur temp at 210 and pop hood and let me see u hold ur hand on that intake. My friends seemed to be 200* after sitting for an hour.
I will when I throw it back together but its nothing to lie about my temps doesnt get that high even wen I been driving for about 30 mins to an hour maybe my header wraps have something to do with it?? But I will just waiting on a few parts
Old 08-03-2012, 04:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mabe the OP and others can look at it like this. What if one intake makes 5 more horsepower than another. Big deal. My typhoon might give up 5 hp due to heat soak. It looks bad *** and will look way better than any intake on the market. When I'm making more than 500hp at the motor, 5 or 10 hp and heat soak doesn't mean nothing to me. When i procharge next year and approach 700hp. I wont have to worry about my intake coming apart. Plus.....it will always look the best when the hood is open. 5 - 10 hp? Please. . Most races come down to traction anyways. Not 5 to 10 horsepower. I beat cars with FAST intakes. I weigh 3210 with me in the car. And beat cars with 70rwhp more than me. And look better doing it.
Heatsoak? Big deal

Sorry... heat soak rant over
Old 08-03-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slammedc5
Mabe the OP and others can look at it like this. What if one intake makes 5 more horsepower than another. Big deal. My typhoon might give up 5 hp due to heat soak. It looks bad *** and will look way better than any intake on the market. When I'm making more than 500hp at the motor, 5 or 10 hp and heat soak doesn't mean nothing to me. When i procharge next year and approach 700hp. I wont have to worry about my intake coming apart. Plus.....it will always look the best when the hood is open. 5 - 10 hp? Please. . Most races come down to traction anyways. Not 5 to 10 horsepower. I beat cars with FAST intakes. I weigh 3210 with me in the car. And beat cars with 70rwhp more than me. And look better doing it.
Heatsoak? Big deal

yea 5-10 HP no biggie
Old 08-03-2012, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Heatsoak? Big deal

Been running my Typhoon for almost 5 years now. Love it. In my opinion the plastic was used to save money. Same reason a whole lot of cars use plastic valve covers now. Way cheaper than metal. To the op keep the bbk.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I will when I throw it back together but its nothing to lie about my temps doesnt get that high even wen I been driving for about 30 mins to an hour maybe my header wraps have something to do with it?? But I will just waiting on a few parts
idk about this. all i know is i had the bbk and there was no difference over the ls6. now the car seemed to cool alot faster, but still got as hot as it did with the ls6.

op i dont know whats up with your car if thats true, maybe your blessed with eternal low engine temps but the rest of us that ******* at 210 after 15 min of driving.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Was the motor stock? Put a fast or anyother intake on a stock motor, gain maybe 15 horsepower. That's barely noticable on the street. Just wanted to point that out. When folks read fast, tyhion bbk compairisons, there on modded motors, that's when and intake starts to show its capabilities
Old 08-03-2012, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=usnfenix;16587412]idk about this. all i know is i had the bbk and there was no difference over the ls6. now the car seemed to cool alot faster, but still got as hot as it did with the ls6.

op i dont know whats up with your car if thats true, maybe your blessed with eternal low engine temps but the rest of us that ******* at 210 after 15 min of driving.[/QUOTE

Idk I got a 160 thermostat as well idk if thats has anything to do with it I also have the slp fan switch the hotest its ever got is to the first mark 180? But what do I have to gain about liying to someone I dnt even know?? When I throw her back together I will post videos its not as hot in my engine like my buddys his stays at 210 unless its the thermostat, slp fan switch or header wraps it must be something
Old 08-03-2012, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=chevybayboy;16587449]
Originally Posted by usnfenix
idk about this. all i know is i had the bbk and there was no difference over the ls6. now the car seemed to cool alot faster, but still got as hot as it did with the ls6.

op i dont know whats up with your car if thats true, maybe your blessed with eternal low engine temps but the rest of us that ******* at 210 after 15 min of driving.[/QUOTE

Idk I got a 160 thermostat as well idk if thats has anything to do with it I also have the slp fan switch the hotest its ever got is to the first mark 180? But what do I have to gain about liying to someone I dnt even know?? When I throw her back together I will post videos its not as hot in my engine like my buddys his stays at 210 unless its the thermostat, slp fan switch or header wraps it must be something

not saying your lying bud just saying never seen that before
Old 08-03-2012, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=usnfenix;16587456]

not saying your lying bud just saying never seen that before
no im not talking about you some other.guy 99sscamaro or some **** like that
Old 08-03-2012, 06:16 PM
10 Second Club

Heatsoak? Big deal

Your right 10hp is no reason to pick a different part. I might as well put on an ls6 instead of my fast because that's only 10hp, and than switch it out for an ls1 because that's only 10 hp, shorty headers on instead of lt's because that's only 10hp and and leave stock lid because that's only 5hp. **** that only adds up to about 50hp or so. Idc I beat cars with fast intakes sitting on ther cars.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your right 10hp is no reason to pick a different part. I might as well put on an ls6 instead of my fast because that's only 10hp, and than switch it out for an ls1 because that's only 10 hp, shorty headers on instead of lt's because that's only 10hp and and leave stock lid because that's only 5hp. **** that only adds up to about 50hp or so. Idc I beat cars with fast intakes sitting on ther cars.
Your right about 1 thing it does add up but from what everyone is saying the bbk is better then ls6
Old 08-03-2012, 06:53 PM
10 Second Club

I don't know if it is or not I know I would buy whatever was cheapest if I had to pick between the 2
Old 08-03-2012, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I never said that... You said it! We are talking about intakes in this thread. Sometimes its better to sacrifice a few horsepower and look good on the top of the engine. Or pay to much
Old 08-03-2012, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1181222AASRL2D

Just read this... I have a 98 it says 99-02 had faulty,gauge so,maybe you guys are running cooler then you think
Old 08-03-2012, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

The BBK has better potential than the LS6 because it can be ported. Heat soak is bullshit. And the BBK looks 10x better than the LS6. Keep it and color match it your car.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:53 PM
Staging Lane

i have bbk and no complaints. ya the intake gets hot but what the fawk doesnt. Id like to go to fast but im not paying over 1000. When i get 243s and port them ill port match the intake to and make plenty of power. Im not sure the difference in hp between ls6 and bbk but im making more power than one of my buddies with an ls6 intake and 243s and im running the bbk and stock 853s. When i get my car dyno tuned ill post number with my mods.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from an Ls1 intake to a BBK SSI. I am very happy with the fit finish and the up top pull. Yes, the intake gets warmer than the composites, but at 2k+ Rpm's the air is going through so fast that it doesn't have time to heat up. People get a little overly obsessed with what does and doesn't significantly effects IAC's. Here is how I look at it.
LS6 intake = less weight, cheaper than the BBK, stock looks, weaker material (nitrous backfire will blow it to pieces)
BBK Intake = heavy, nice appearance, makes about 5 more hp than the LS6 according to most results, costs more than the ls6, stronger construction, has a bottom access plate to make porting easier, and has an 85mm opening for the TB.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by white99ta!!
i have bbk and no complaints. ya the intake gets hot but what the fawk doesnt. Id like to go to fast but im not paying over 1000. When i get 243s and port them ill port match the intake to and make plenty of power. Im not sure the difference in hp between ls6 and bbk but im making more power than one of my buddies with an ls6 intake and 243s and im running the bbk and stock 853s. When i get my car dyno tuned ill post number with my mods.
Let me know wen you get tuned im intrested to see what your numbers are

Quick Reply: bbk vs ls6 intake