Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

your toughts on a TSP MS4 cam?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 03:53 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bramlok
Well comparing a gutted race car vs. 95% of the cars here that are mainly driven on the street isn't fair either. Of course it's about the entire combo but for the OP right now, it sounds like the MS4 is a bad choice.
Definitely, agreed (although our racecar has a full interior minus the passenger seat) that it is not a great comparison. But neither is saying a 224 with all the bolt-ons dragging an MS4 car with a stock converter and gear!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 09-05-2012, 04:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bramlok
Well comparing a gutted race car vs. 95% of the cars here that are mainly driven on the street isn't fair either. Of course it's about the entire combo but for the OP right now, it sounds like the MS4 is a bad choice.
im selling the ms4 in goin with something smaller
Old 09-05-2012, 04:20 PM
9 Second Club

I've always been a fan of trying something new. "Copy and win by chance, Innovate, you win by design"

However, that was years ago when I built Buicks and Mopars, not near the aftermarket the LS cars have.

There are SO many options it's confusing. I will say when I bought my first LS1 car I had friends that had already owned and modded them. I saw that the A4 trans and the rears were weak. When I was in the market for one I shopped around till I found one with those things upgraded. Cause the stock stuff IS going to break.

I read the thread but TBH I can't remember all of it. I remember reading the cam in ? was for a 170K mile motor. Is this gonna remain a stock long block with just cam or is it gonna get heads too?

The reason I ask is back in the day we put fresh heads on a high mileage short block and it didn't fair well long.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

hey anyone that runs the ms4 cam as a dd how do you do your vavle spring change every so often really looking at this or the ms3 cam really really hard for my combo that me a tsp have already talked about and all
Old 09-05-2012, 09:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Definitely, agreed (although our racecar has a full interior minus the passenger seat) that it is not a great comparison. But neither is saying a 224 with all the bolt-ons dragging an MS4 car with a stock converter and gear!
im selling the ms4 and goin with a smaller cam for sure
Old 10-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Post is a little old since anyone replied.

Im running a c5 z06 with the ms4 cam, with prc 227 heads 62cc chambers, lg super pros, stock ls6 intake mani tb, stock 3.42 gears.

Id have to say everyone in here is correct, you do give up driveablility (not as bad with 6 speed) and it will require a reputable tuner to tune the car. but i will vouch that with supporting mods, it makes unbelievable power, and is very good for drag racing. for those of you that say the low end power isn't good enough,
I pull consistent 1.5xx 60 fts on stock gearing and drive train, and cant wait to install the fast 92/90 setup with tsp's 100mm maf.

another fyi, I made 473rwhp and 435ft/lbs on a STOCK bottom end 347. at 3500ft.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ms4

I have a 2001 camaro SS m6 and 3.90 rear gears. The LS1 bottom end is stock with the ms4 cam, bbk ssi intake, 1 7/8 hooker super competition headers and exhaust system. I bought the car in the spring of this year and have put 12k miles on it. I used it for a dd this summer and have taken a couple 1k mile trips to fla. The car was using oil and smoking from the day I bought it. I recently tore the engine down and found a couple bad cylinders. The car put down 390 rwhp and 370 ft. lbs. of torque like this. Don't be afraid to run this cam in a daily driver with the right tranny and rear gear set up. TSP puts some of the best stuff out for the ls engines. Just ordered my PRC stage 2.5 5.3l heads. I can't wait to get it back together. Hopin to be in the mid 4's at the rear wheels.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sales3@Texas-Speed
Agreed, that cam does like to spin, with stock heads on the engine dyno and chassis dyno, typically the powerband on the MS4 is from 2300-6800rpm with it peaking at 6400rpm. We recommend at least a 3500rpm converter with that camshaft, but larger converters will put that camshaft into the higher part of its powerband. Although you can run the .650 dual spring without issue, the .675 would be my recommendation due to higher pressures to give the more aggressive lobe of the MS4.

I plan on using a MS4 cam in my 98 trans am as well. I plan to buy a LS6 intake manifold with LS6 fuel injectors and rails. Everything else will be stock except the headers and exhaust which I will also be using Texas Speed products. What is recommended besides the stall converter and .675 springs. Will I need to make everything stronger as far as engine internals just for everyday driving not using it for racing application

Quick Reply: your toughts on a TSP MS4 cam?