Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lq9 408- f1x combination need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 07:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin718
the motor made 420RWHP with NO BLOWER or any kind of forced induction... id say somethings working right making that kind of power on a 9-1 motor setup for boost on a crappy tune.... it is purely an issue of the motor not getting the boost or airflow it needs at that, we are talking 15-20 psi drop through the intercooler.

this procharger kit is by far the worst setup i have ever dealt with and quality is no were near what i expected of such a widely know shop....

This issue has been going on and research out the wazoo, trouble shooting the cam, timing motor etc was also our first steps but after the N/A test and pre intercooler post intercooler test we have locked in the issue.
Never said the cam wasn't keeping you from making your hidden power only that it could make more with the proper events.

Carry on...
Old 09-17-2012, 09:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've tried two more intercoolers, one of which was prochargers "test" IC. Had the exact same issues with all three. When I ask how much boost they have pushed through the "test" IC they couldn't give me a answer. So I'm assuming not much.. I'm going to bypass the IC with a strait tube in the morning and have it tuned again. Through all the testing we are positive the IC is not flowing. Not what I would expect from a 1500$ IC. But then again all the other tubing and the radiator hose is not a work of art either.. Really not impressed with the kit.
If they can't get this figured out, I will really let y'all know how I feel about there products!!
Old 09-17-2012, 09:57 PM
Launching!

Its not boost that the ic flows that maters its the cfm.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:02 PM
I need a gauge for that

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats pretty disappointing to hear. My $250 cxracing intercooler I got off ebay works pretty well around the same power level as you. Only measured a 2psi drop at 20psi of boost. In any event, glad you found your missing power. If you are going to use just a straight tube I would highly recommend meth injection.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Stumped1215
Its not boost that the ic flows that maters its the cfm.
You are correct... Boost is just a measurement of restriction. And the restriction is in the Intercooler. Other people might have better luck with these IC's if their engine is using less cfm.
I know there was a serious problem when the engine only made 275hp trying to pull the air through the IC. Installed a makeshift cold air intake and made 150 more hp.. On a quick tune..
Old 09-17-2012, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Atomic
Thats pretty disappointing to hear. My $250 cxracing intercooler I got off ebay works pretty well around the same power level as you. Only measured a 2psi drop at 20psi of boost. In any event, glad you found your missing power. If you are going to use just a straight tube I would highly recommend meth injection.
The strait pipe will just be a little experiment. Not going to shoot for the moon on Hp#s yet. Just to relay the info to procharger and let them know there is a serious issue with their IC's. Ultimately would like to run a IC however strait piping with meth Could be an option..
Old 09-17-2012, 11:26 PM
I need a gauge for that

I say that because the air temp without an intercooler is going to be huge...unless you have meth or run on e85 detonation could be a big issue
Old 09-17-2012, 11:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Wow that blower can make 1000hp without breaking a sweat so something is really off. The A6 is gonna eat power but I know one making 1300 with that damn blower. I think the compression is too low and the cam choice is off.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like something besides the intercooler is still wrong, although the intercooler is probably small. Is the inlet on the supercharger free and open? Do you have pictures of your set up installed?

Kurt
Old 09-18-2012, 12:21 PM
12 Second Club

it makes 3x pounds of boost off the charger.
N/A drawing through intercooler it made 275rwhp
N/A drawing through just a cold air pipe it made 420ish rwhp
post intercooler its reading 15lbs of boost with pre intercooler side reading 3X....
15-20lb drop through intercooler
Old 09-18-2012, 01:15 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If it's on a dyno, I say put a straight 3" pipe (or whatever size your piping is) where the intercooler was. Do one pull making sure to keep your eyes on IAT's and knock, and see what your boost psi is. I have a feeling you're going to be well above 20 psi.

I'd buy one of those ebay intercoolers just to test it out. If it works, great, if not, return it.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Today I put a strait piece of tube in where the intercooler was. Since I knew the Iats would be high and dangerous. I swapped pulley to a 5.25. With the procharger 1300hp IC I was making 5lbs (in the intake) and 550ish rwhp. Same pulley without the IC I saw 12lbs boost and made 110more hp with some really high iats! I would say found the problem.

I have spent a lot of time and money trying to diagnose this problem and turns out its the high dollar junk PROCHARGER IC! Im going to try and get my money back from this junk *** kit!! Procharger has no interest in trying to help me out and fix the problem. I had to give them my credit card info to get one of there used test IC to try out. Instead of them swapping out mine for a new one. I feel like all the want me to do is r and d there product on my dime! So basically I spent another 200$ to get my car tuned with a strait pipe to tell them their IC wasn't flowing like I told them in the first place!! Grr!! So pissed right now!
Who knows the wear and tear I have put on the head unit spinning it to the max..

Should have went turbo!!!
Old 09-19-2012, 06:00 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by Clinc
Today I put a strait piece of tube in where the intercooler was. Since I knew the Iats would be high and dangerous. I swapped pulley to a 5.25. With the procharger 1300hp IC I was making 5lbs (in the intake) and 550ish rwhp. Same pulley without the IC I saw 12lbs boost and made 110more hp with some really high iats! I would say found the problem.

I have spent a lot of time and money trying to diagnose this problem and turns out its the high dollar junk PROCHARGER IC! Im going to try and get my money back from this junk *** kit!! Procharger has no interest in trying to help me out and fix the problem. I had to give them my credit card info to get one of there used test IC to try out. Instead of them swapping out mine for a new one. I feel like all the want me to do is r and d there product on my dime! So basically I spent another 200$ to get my car tuned with a strait pipe to tell them their IC wasn't flowing like I told them in the first place!! Grr!! So pissed right now!
Who knows the wear and tear I have put on the head unit spinning it to the max..

Should have went turbo!!!
I feel bad for you, especially after dropping the extra coin on a kit that's supposed to be top shelf. Makes me feel better about going the ebay intercooler route. At least then, if the IC was crap, I wouldn't feel bad.

Fortunately though you found your issue, not it's just a case of getting a proper intercooler in there and you're set.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

I hear you on the turbo...you'll get sick of the whine and inconsistency with belt slip on gear changes. Good luck
Old 09-22-2012, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Procharger is junk! i bought a p1sc kit for my lt1 car 10yrs ago and had the same issue. the headunit is great, the rest of the kit was **** poor! Had to reengineer the whole setup. best bet is to buy the headunit and build the rest yourself!
Old 09-22-2012, 12:59 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Procharger is junk! i bought a p1sc kit for my lt1 car 10yrs ago and had the same issue. the headunit is great, the rest of the kit was **** poor! Had to reengineer the whole setup. best bet is to buy the headunit and build the rest yourself!
You do realize that the most critical part of that setup is the head unit, everything else is simple and easy to engineer at home.

Why the rest of your kit was junk, no clue, but the head units are some of the best in the business.

If you think prochargers/superchargers are difficult, then start reading all of the turbo 'need help' threads with exhaust leaks, leaking oil, smoking turbos, and don't forget that turbos put out so much more heat than a supercharger, oh, and by the way, to run a turbo, it's a small miracle to keep a/c, power steering, big front sway bar, etc.

He's got a crap intercooler from procharger, try another brand one and see what it does.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:30 PM
12 Second Club

Go with a treadstone 4.5" intercooler and don't turn back. I wouldnt put a CX racing unit on such an awesome system. Nice setup btw!
Old 09-23-2012, 12:28 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
You do realize that the most critical part of that setup is the head unit, everything else is simple and easy to engineer at home.

Why the rest of your kit was junk, no clue, but the head units are some of the best in the business.

If you think prochargers/superchargers are difficult, then start reading all of the turbo 'need help' threads with exhaust leaks, leaking oil, smoking turbos, and don't forget that turbos put out so much more heat than a supercharger, oh, and by the way, to run a turbo, it's a small miracle to keep a/c, power steering, big front sway bar, etc.

He's got a crap intercooler from procharger, try another brand one and see what it does.
Agreed 100%. We install more centrifugal supercharger set-ups than I bet any other shop does in the south east and we've never encountered a problem like this or with any of prochargers kits. Pumping out close to 7-8 sometimes 10 supercharger packages a month all done in house you'd think if they were really this bad then we'd of seen it ourselves by now.

Now that figure also includes the majority of our s/c packages which are mainly A&A Corvette kits, but we deal with the Procharger stuff a lot and it's very good quality, just maybe not the I/C.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Alchemist

+1 on everything...

I would have put the straight pipe on it, kept the same blower pulley you had on it before, but put some C16 in it JUST for dynoing to see what your total boost and HP would have been.... Ofcourse with high IATS it may have pulled timing but...it would have been a more apples to apples comparison and give you a better idea of the true power potential... Do you have meth on it?

The reality is, with that blower spinning at max rpms you should make 1200+rwhp....

I'd definitely look for a more efficient, larger core intercooler with the biggest piping you can fit..
Old 09-25-2012, 01:45 AM
Teching In

Well here is the update.. Finally got a different style IC from procharger. It's the vertical flow 1300hp. Had to hassle with them to get it and it was suppose to be the 1550hp IC but they said the cost difference was to much to just give it to me.. BS!! Anyway I tested it out and am seeing a 2lb drop through the IC. Not to bad...

Still think something is up with my head unit now... With the strait pipe (no intercooler) I made 12lbs (intake reference). Added the vertical flow Intercooler I saw 10lbs with the 5.25 blower pulley. So thinking ok, I got this problem fixed decided to start swapping pulleys and see how boost pressures react. Swapped to the 4.75 pulley (should give 5lbs more boost) I saw 13lbs (intake reference). I went ahead and checked pre IC pressure and was at 15-15.5. So still about a 2lb diff.. Not bad..
Next I tried the 4.25 pulley, again should be 5more lbs.. Yielded 18ish lbs in intake about 20lbs pre Intercooler.

Well everything seems to be about right as far as the IC not restricting anymore. But here's the problem.. A 4.0 pulley will max my blower out and I might see 2 more lbs of boost.. To put a total of 20lbs in the intake.. I have a feeling my head unit is not working properly this blower should be over kill for this motor! I will get it on the dyno in the morning, max out the blower and see what it does, have a feeling I will be giving this blower back to PC for some testing..

Before I tell you guys my whole experiance with procharger and give my opinion on the quality of the kits (basiclly before I bash them). I will see if they make things right.. I would hope they will since I live just down the street from them..

Quick Reply: Lq9 408- f1x combination need advice!