Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 383 Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 08:12 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gcantu18
Never said that LTs didn't make power throughout the WHOLE powerband and that I would lose mid range with LTs. I simply stated that I'm more focused on mid range power and less concerned with high end, so for my application I've accepted the performance of the stock manifolds as adequate, especially for a first-time build. But I am curious as to why I should sell the yella terras and the 102/102 setup and "start over". I'm interested it what you would do instead.
There is no need for the yella terras besides the fact that its over kill and extra $ for no reason. But idk if you've seen the threads of people breaking them and having nightmares trying to get the company to honor their **** up. You will not even spin the motor high enough to benefit from using them. Like you previously said youre more worried about mid range, stock rockers are more than adequate.

The fast setup being that its close to 1k brand new for the 102/102 setup and it will only yield you maybe 10-15whp ON THE upper half of the RPM range (useless for what you want. again like you said you are mostly concerned about mid range). The ls6 breathes just fine till 6500ish, people go with fast setups because the LS6 doesn't work for well for setups reving past 6500ish.

With the money you spent going fast you coud've found some prc 2.5 5.3 truck heads or find some used 243s for $300-400 and send them out to get ported by AI, TEA or other well known porters or **** even send out your 241s to AI or TEA etc..

Like i previously asked did you research at all for this build? A simple H/C setup could've yielded more than what you wanted, with less $ and also alot less work.

Also i really don't see why you're going to keep the stock manifolds and make your goal even harder to reach.

IMO you could've went with an LQ 6.0 threw your cam in milled the heads done full bolt ons and you would've reached your goal and then some.

Edit: I can't understand how you can justify buying yella terras and not LTs lol its beyond me.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I've built a 383 before and I would keep the stock crank before I use an Eagle one. Go with a slightly bigger cam, add lt's, and upgrade to 243's. If you're truly staying N/A I wold opt for a little more compression. Mine was at 11.1:1 and hit with a 250 shot.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gcantu18
But I am curious as to why I should sell the yella terras and the 102/102 setup and "start over". I'm interested it what you would do instead.
I had Yella Terras on my car when I bought it, and within ~500 miles the studs broke on two of them. I was lucky and didn't drop a valve, but a number of others have had a bad experience. I know they've worked for some, but keep in mind they are MUCH heavier than stock rockers and would require a stiffer spring to control the valves. They're also noisy. Unless you're going to exceed ~0.620" of lift, keep the stockers. Roller rockers on LS1's are mainly needed if you're going to use bronze guides on most aftermarket heads. Look at it this way: If the stockers weren't quality pieces, GM wouldn't have been using them on the LS7's for almost 7years now with a 7000rpm redline and a warranty.

Now on a FAST 102 intake, keep it. They're definitely not a waste and have proven to give gains even on a stock LS1 with no low end loss. They'll also support a 700hp+ application without being a restriction.

Jason

Quick Reply: LS1 383 Build