Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

valve train noise issues - updated 10/11, compcam trunions installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could be down to the type of noise some engines make with certain oil brands at this point.

Mine ticked with regular Mobil-1 5W-30, but was quiet with Mobil-1 High Mileage 5W-30. Extra zinc & phosphorous anti-wear additives in the High Mile version may have made the difference. See below, however...

My LS-based truck started ticking at hot idle with the updated Mobil-1 High Mileage offering, and it looks like Exxon-Mobil changed the formulation earlier this year. I changed the oil back in August and started noticing the tick around Labor Day. I changed to Shell Synthetic 5W-30 and added 4oz of Red Line Break-In Additive to boost the zinc/phosphorous. No more tick as yet.

Red Line 5W-30 is a sure thing in terms of ruling out oil-related valvetrain noise. It's expensive at $10-11 per quart, but cheaper for one oil change than pulling the heads.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:13 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Glad you **hopefully** have it sorted out.

As for crainholio's comment, I dropped Mobil1 like a bad habit due to noise when I switched to Castrol Edge. I switched b/c Wally World was out at the time, so I tried the Edge w/ Titanium; Considerably less valvetrain noise.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a very similar problem with my 06 5.3. I had put a set of lunati springs and comp lifters and now i have noisy valvetrain. Used stock pushrods. Trying to determine but i think that's gonna b be my problem. Possibly yours. Use a length checker. GL man
Old 10-22-2012, 04:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by crainholio
You could be down to the type of noise some engines make with certain oil brands at this point.

Mine ticked with regular Mobil-1 5W-30, but was quiet with Mobil-1 High Mileage 5W-30. Extra zinc & phosphorous anti-wear additives in the High Mile version may have made the difference. See below, however...

My LS-based truck started ticking at hot idle with the updated Mobil-1 High Mileage offering, and it looks like Exxon-Mobil changed the formulation earlier this year. I changed the oil back in August and started noticing the tick around Labor Day. I changed to Shell Synthetic 5W-30 and added 4oz of Red Line Break-In Additive to boost the zinc/phosphorous. No more tick as yet.

Red Line 5W-30 is a sure thing in terms of ruling out oil-related valvetrain noise. It's expensive at $10-11 per quart, but cheaper for one oil change than pulling the heads.

I just bought the Amsoil Z-Rod 10W30 for the same reason. It is also at the upper end of the 30W range at 100 degrees C.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

changed the oil today using Castrol Edge with Titanium and a K&N filter.
had a lot of good reviews in different engines.
has a high level of ZDDP and has done well with cars with the Blackstone Lab anaylsis.

certainly noiser at start-up, but all I did was go up and down the street.
not going to get much driving this week with Sandy coming ...
Old 11-05-2012, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikezohsix
changed the oil today using Castrol Edge with Titanium and a K&N filter.
had a lot of good reviews in different engines.
has a high level of ZDDP and has done well with cars with the Blackstone Lab anaylsis.

certainly noiser at start-up, but all I did was go up and down the street.
not going to get much driving this week with Sandy coming ...
Noisier at start-up with the Castrol Edge? Others were saying it quieted down their valve train noise.

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
... so I tried the Edge w/ Titanium; Considerably less valvetrain noise.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Noisier at start-up with the Castrol Edge? Others were saying it quieted down their valve train noise.
I think every chevy known to man clacs around until up to tempt, he would have to warm it up and drive it before he would know.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Well, I've driven it the last two nice days and have to say the car is a little quieter. I'm happy, or at least satisfied with the noises it makes now.

Unfortunately I still am running the OEM valve springs which have a know quality issue and need to be changed. I'm going to change the springs out, again, and put the PAC 1218 back in and see where I am noise wise.

Will report back after the springs are changed out and i've got a few miles on it.

mike

Quick Reply: valve train noise issues - updated 10/11, compcam trunions installed