Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a free hydrolocked LS1...need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 08:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My vote is also for the new block! Like my ol grandpappy used to say "do it right or dont do it at all". Or like I say "quality is better than quanity" or "peace of mind or piece of ****". Good Luck
Old 04-09-2004, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tachnem
One more question....I do not have room for the wings on the vette oil pan. Will the fbody pan work with the vette pickup?

Thanks
No, you should get a new pickup the pan depth. The fbody pan also comes way forward. You may depending on how your rockcrawler is setup use a truck oil pan. Hey, noticed you are in northern Virginia eh? I'm looking for a motor right now but haven't found a canidate that I can afford. I'm doing a LS1 swap in a S10 but I have to use a 5.3 oil pan in mine and I still have to modify the truck and the oil pan both and the 5.3 oil pan is gonna need some pretty good modifcations done so I may want to get a good look at a Vette pan and pickup if you have it. Basically I need to weld kickouts in the sides of the 5.3 pan to get the oil capacity back up because I'm gonna have to cut about 2-2.5 inches off the bottom of it because it will hang lower than the front crossmember and that would be the only thing protecting the oil pan from the lovely DC streets particularly with the truck lowered 4/5. Taking off 2 - 2.5" from the bottom of the pan will lessen my oil capacity by 2 quarts or so. I don't have any room for a fbody pan because I already have to cut alot of the front frame crossmember on the truck so I don't want to cut anymore than needed and the fbody or vette pan would basically require me to remove it altogether and that can make the frame of the truck very unstable. I plan to put kickouts on the sides of the pan to get my capacity back, with the addition of piping in the stock 4.3 oil cooler, should give me about 1/2 quart addition that will reside in the cooler. Basically I need about 120 cubic inches total of volume to get my 2 quarts back in the pan. I need to see how the baffles are setup for the Vette pan so I don't take the chance on running the motor dry with the shortened sump setup and kickouts. I am going to autox the truck so lateral loading could make a dry sump a very real problem like it can be on the Vette if it didn't have those baffles, and there is no need to blow up a $3k motor if I don't have to . Email or PM me so we can talk if you wouldn't mind Also, if money is an issue, I would look into eithor a 4.8 or a 5.3 motor for your rockcrawler. Both are really good motors and can be had for about 1/2 that of the aluminum LS1. Not quite as much power but can be made to run strong with the addition of a camshaft. Best of luck to you, and thanks for the mutal help.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:06 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was referring to the picture that TECH posted. Crazy as it sounds I have a decent idea of what an LS1 block looks like.
Haha I assumed so! But he wasn't asking about that one.