Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car want crank, silent when I turn key? Battery and starter connection is still good.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car want crank, silent when I turn key? Battery and starter connection is still good.

I'm not sure what it is. The batter has good voltage.. It's an LT1, I just flushed my radiator and changed my alternator. Any ideas. I checked the connections from the battery to the start and its still good. The car would turn and run good last night. Now nothing.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Check all the fuses/relays see if any are blown to start
Old 10-10-2012, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

Checked all fuses. All good. Still no start? I'm clueless. Could the starter have randomly gone out as soon as I happened to be flushing the radiator? Also if the opti go coolant in it would it prevent it from even attempting to crank up?
Old 10-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't know a lot about lt1s but I know those optis fail cause of coolant leaking into it, the moisture or water so it could be possible.. likely hood of the starter just failing is weird... sometimes ull hear the solenoid fire and not crank cause something broke internally but it could be it, same thing happened to my car with the previous owner and it was the starter. U should probably test the starter I guess would be next. Did u disconnect the battery? I don't know if vats would have anything to do with it ? Just guessing here lol
Old 10-10-2012, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

If the opti was out it would at least try to crank I would think. It may just be the starter? I have another one its just kinda weird how it would randomly go out? Any other ideas? I'm gonna re check the connections from the battery to the starter.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:42 PM
Launching!

It would crank if the opti was out. If it doesnt crank its most likely something to do with your battery I would think. You said you replaced the alternator, is everything connected there? I believe ive had a starter stop on me randomly. Id try your other one if i were you, its only two bolts and a couple wires. You would also probably get more responses in the lt1 section
Old 10-10-2012, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

Ohh my bad man. And could it be something to do with it not reading the clutch is pushed in?
Old 10-10-2012, 09:02 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Casey, you shoulda posted this in the LT1 section, not the LS1/2/6 internal engine section. This section is about cranks, pistons, oil pumps, etc for the newer engines.

Anyway, when you turn the key to "on", do all the instrument cluster lights come on for their lamp test? When they go off, does the "security" lamp stay lit? Did you disconnect the battery to do the work you've listed above?
Old 10-10-2012, 09:04 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

And please list for us the year of the car, auto or stick and any mods that might've been done to it.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

It's a 1995 Z28, T56. It's bored to 383, head, cammed, and bolt ons. When I turn the key to on, the cluster lights come on for their light test and the security lamp goes off. I did disconnect the battery when doing most of the work. When I try to start the low traction light will flicker followed by another lamp test. Sorry about the placement of this post, I really need help though I have an interview tomorrow.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:50 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

If the security light goes out, it's not that. Perhaps the clutch/start lockout switch needs attention.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

It's not that is in starter? And okay ill look into that.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Paul, this is the third day in a row he has posted LT1 questions in this section, and they are not even internal engine questions. If he can't learn how to use the site, I will just start deleting his posts.

Quick Reply: Car want crank, silent when I turn key? Battery and starter connection is still good.