Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boost - Forced Induction Setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Boost - Forced Induction Setup

Was told earlier in another post to go with 317 Heads since I am going with a procharger unit and ditch my PRC 5.3 Stage 2.5 Heads and my MS3 cam. I am having Martin at Tick Performance spec me a cam.

What is better to go with on heads?
These PRC 6.0 Stage 2.5 CNC Heads?
http://texas-speed.com/p-1386-prc-60...ted-heads.aspx

Or buy a used set of 317 Heads and send them to AI for this 232 cc port work program?
http://www.advancedinduction.com/LSX...cGMLS2Head.php

With the PRC Heads everything is new and nothing is reused. Whereas with the 317's I send into AI you have used parts still come back like valves and guides.

What are ya'lls opinions?
Old 10-22-2012, 03:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Stock valves are fine with a valve job, but there is a plus to the PRC heads having new everything.

I would talk to PRC and AI both and go with who you feel more comfortable with.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Stock valves are fine with a valve job, but there is a plus to the PRC heads having new everything.

I would talk to PRC and AI both and go with who you feel more comfortable with.
I talked to phil at AI, Martin. Told him you referred me as well along with the board. He basically told me his work is far superior to a PRC head. He told me that the flow numbers he puts out are expected numbers and they mean nothing. He said PRC heads are entry level but then I think about the PRC heads I currently have and they perform outstanding. My biggest thing is the valves are still used in my 317 heads i will be sending to them and would be more prone to breaking later down the road.

Also was told to look into TFS heads but then that's a whole different level of head just like AFR heads. The price jumps up alot. I have so many options just don't know which way to go. Once you get me the cam specs maybe it will help me make some better decisions.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:19 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Choppers
I talked to phil at AI, Martin. Told him you referred me as well along with the board. He basically told me his work is far superior to a PRC head. He told me that the flow numbers he puts out are expected numbers and they mean nothing. He said PRC heads are entry level but then I think about the PRC heads I currently have and they perform outstanding. My biggest thing is the valves are still used in my 317 heads i will be sending to them and would be more prone to breaking later down the road.

Also was told to look into TFS heads but then that's a whole different level of head just like AFR heads. The price jumps up alot. I have so many options just don't know which way to go. Once you get me the cam specs maybe it will help me make some better decisions.
You'll actually want to base the camshaft specifications off of the cylinder head being used.

The intake runner, exhaust runner, intake valve and exhaust valve size/diameter play a huge part in what the camshaft profile looks like because those measurements determine where and how the engine will make its power, not the other way around.

The stock valves are fine. They won't break and I wouldn't worry about them as much as you are. Aftermarket valves are heavy as ****, and are much heavier than a stock valve.

If you really want to do something slick, have Phil put a set of sodium filled LS6 valves in there and you'll basically have the lightest set of valves you can get for an ls engine....that is other than titanium valves which are still nearly the same weight as the hollow stem LS6 valves.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

So the PRC heads seem out of the equation anymore. How would a set of 225ss AFR and TFS heads compare to the 226cc AI 317 heads?
Old 10-23-2012, 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I see a bunny
Old 10-23-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
I see a bunny
?????
Old 10-23-2012, 10:00 PM
FormerVendor

The AFR or TFS heads would be better in regards to the heads sealing to the block and clamping force being able to be exerted on the deck surface to keep from pushing water at high power levels.

You would have more room to add power with the thicker deck aftermarket heads than you would with a stock casting. As far as power is concerned you could possibly make slightly more power with the aftermarket heads with their larger valves, but again you're trading a slight gain in cfm for valve-train weight.

The weight can be worked around if you're willing to do certain things to ensure it doesn't become a problem later on.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
The AFR or TFS heads would be better in regards to the heads sealing to the block and clamping force being able to be exerted on the deck surface to keep from pushing water at high power levels.

You would have more room to add power with the thicker deck aftermarket heads than you would with a stock casting. As far as power is concerned you could possibly make slightly more power with the aftermarket heads with their larger valves, but again you're trading a slight gain in cfm for valve-train weight.

The weight can be worked around if you're willing to do certain things to ensure it doesn't become a problem later on.
True. And the money being spent on the AFR and TFS could be spent elsewhere. Talked to phil at AI again. I'll pm you with what he said.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:35 AM
On The Tree

So it sounds like you're not going to need those prc 2.5 5.3 heads anymore? I got my TA 3 weeks ago...still stock
Old 10-24-2012, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99WS6_
So it sounds like you're not going to need those prc 2.5 5.3 heads anymore? I got my TA 3 weeks ago...still stock

Well I think I will be pulling this motor I have now and freshening it back up with new pistons, rings and bearings and putting it in my v6 camaro with a th400 and spray a nice 150 shot on it and call that car a day. So I don't think I will be selling any of my current parts.

Quick Reply: Boost - Forced Induction Setup