Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Lobes for FI

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 10:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Valve-train weight, cylinder pressure, rpm range, mileage.
No need to answer that last question Martin, once the heads are ported and flowed then ill fill out your cam spec form and we can discuss why you picked the lobes that you did and not one of the other commonly used lobes for FI, if that's ok with you.

Originally Posted by chrisfrost
Ok ,,,,,I hear You saying You want to learn ,,,,,,,,,but asking poeple on here for answers to You're questions would take maybe 1000 years to get answered . Have You read the stickies at the top of gen3 internal engine ? There is quite a bit of information about what You're eager to learn about ,,,,,,,also I would suggest Google-ing about cam lobes and intake opening/closing events and exhaust open/clos and center-line over-lap ......etc ,,,,,then if You come back on here You can ask specific questions and then maybe You'll know enough to spec You're own cam/lobe if You study enough first . The info is there , You just need to find it . Also Car Craft ,,,,,,,,and Hot Rod mags and others like Them are a good place to search cams and cam results real world .
Believe it or not, I'm not trying to spec my own cam (ill leave that for the professionals. I'm trying to learn why something that will be going in my car is specd the way that it was). I understand the different cam lobe profiles and what's easier on the valve train. I may be asking to much but I'm trying to figure out why someone would choose a lobe that is commonly used for a FI application over another lobe that is also commonly used for a FI application. I did a lot of research before i posted the question. If it is as simple as the persons preference after numerous grinds then I am ok with that but Martin leads me to believe that it is more concrete than that.

It may be easier be completely ready to order my cam (heads ported/flowed/short block assembled) then ask why a lobe would be used over another in my given application.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:28 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisfrost
Ok ,,,,,I hear You saying You want to learn ,,,,,,,,,but asking poeple on here for answers to You're questions would take maybe 1000 years to get answered . Have You read the stickies at the top of gen3 internal engine ? There is quite a bit of information about what You're eager to learn about ,,,,,,,also I would suggest Google-ing about cam lobes and intake opening/closing events and exhaust open/clos and center-line over-lap ......etc ,,,,,then if You come back on here You can ask specific questions and then maybe You'll know enough to spec You're own cam/lobe if You study enough first . The info is there , You just need to find it . Also Car Craft ,,,,,,,,and Hot Rod mags and others like Them are a good place to search cams and cam results real world .
You'll never know unless you ask.
Originally Posted by F110Mech
No need to answer that last question Martin, once the heads are ported and flowed then ill fill out your cam spec form and we can discuss why you picked the lobes that you did and not one of the other commonly used lobes for FI, if that's ok with you.

Believe it or not, I'm not trying to spec my own cam (ill leave that for the professionals. I'm trying to learn why something that will be going in my car is specd the way that it was). I understand the different cam lobe profiles and what's easier on the valve train. I may be asking to much but I'm trying to figure out why someone would choose a lobe that is commonly used for a FI application over another lobe that is also commonly used for a FI application. I did a lot of research before i posted the question. If it is as simple as the persons preference after numerous grinds then I am ok with that but Martin leads me to believe that it is more concrete than that.

It may be easier be completely ready to order my cam (heads ported/flowed/short block assembled) then ask why a lobe would be used over another in my given application.
No problem, you'll never know unless you ask, and I urge customers to learn the how and why of what is going into their car instead of keeping it secret from them like I'm dangling a carrot in front of them. I think a lot of cam guys do that and enjoy it. Personally I don't, I think it's a god complex some of them have developed and they believe if they tell their secrets or even just an explanation to why they chose something that the customer will run off and do it themselves instead of ordering through them.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Martin that is exactly why i DO NOT like specs cams... people like Pat G just throw together numbers and you have no idea were the number came from or anything of that nature. I prefer tried and true cam grinds personally.. ones that have been tested numerous times...

I still think the LS9 cam would be perfect for your goals.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TyCZ28
Martin that is exactly why i DO NOT like specs cams... people like Pat G just throw together numbers and you have no idea were the number came from or anything of that nature. I prefer tried and true cam grinds personally.. ones that have been tested numerous times...

If you would have an idea where the numbers come from you would not need people like Pat. BTW we do not just "throw" numbers, we tailor them to the setup. Sometimes we do experiment in un-chartered territories but that is how innovation is discovered. Gotta think outside the box. Otherwise it is pretty much "monkey see, monkey do".
Old 11-05-2012, 01:57 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TyCZ28

I respect Patrick a lot, and I do not include him in that group of people who "dangle the carrot" so to speak. He has shared plenty of why and how as to why he specs cams the way he does.

Quick Reply: Cam Lobes for FI