Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front,rear covers,oil pan install questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 08:50 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I installed the oil pan first. Use a straight edge to true the rear of the pan with the bellhousing flange on the block. Once that's set, you can install either front or rear cover. I would recommend the Sac City Corvette guys front and rear install tools. They are like Kent Moore, but much cheaper. I got them in a few days from the guys here. Nice pieces.

I do the oil pan first because if you're off on the bellhousing flange, you'll crack your oil pan when you bolt the transmission to the engine.

To bolt down the pan, start in the middle on one side and alternate going out. Repeat for the other side. Torque all to 18ft/lbs and the one behind the oil filter to 16ft/lbs to keep the pan from cracking.

Also if it's on a stand, just bolt it back to the crane (or whatever you used to get the engine out) and install. I recommend torqueing the bolts to the block first, backing them out, and then installing and torqueing the bolts that go through the oil pan to make sure it's both seated against the block and pan.

Also, make sure you dab BLACK RTV in the corners of the front and rear cover, and you'll be good to go.

Quick Reply: front,rear covers,oil pan install questions