Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metal Shavings in oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen it too. Unless it is bigger than the dust I won't worry. Really worry when the metal piece is big enough to partially block off your drain hole when you are changing your oil.
Old 07-17-2004, 02:36 PM
Teching In

02 TA,
You may see a little break in material from the rings during the first one or two oil changes but that is it. It will show up as shiny very small particles as you run your hand through the oil while it is in the pan.

Rings are the only thing to break in since you have a roller cam. Bearings do not break in as the crank never touches the rod or main bearings. If they do you are in trouble. Same with Cam bearings. If you see shavings of any type save up your money for a rebuild.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SCAZ
02 TA,
You may see a little break in material from the rings during the first one or two oil changes but that is it. It will show up as shiny very small particles as you run your hand through the oil while it is in the pan.

Rings are the only thing to break in since you have a roller cam. Bearings do not break in as the crank never touches the rod or main bearings. If they do you are in trouble. Same with Cam bearings. If you see shavings of any type save up your money for a rebuild.
So why do you have to drive your car for awhile and then change your oil after a cam swap?
Old 07-17-2004, 05:15 PM
Teching In

You don't with a roller cam. There is no break in. That is why you can use the same roller lifters on multiple cams.
On a flat tappet cam there is a break in of the cam to lifter interface. The lifter is slightly off center so it will spin. If it does not break in right it will not spin and will wear the lifter bottom or cam lobe or both.

Some people will do it for good measure just because they had the engine open and dirt may have gotten in.
Old 07-18-2004, 03:12 AM
Launching!

Changed mine tonight and found some dust on the magnet,with all the noise the things make anyways and that I have good oil pressure ,I'm not goning to worry until there is parts comeing out of the block
Old 07-19-2004, 10:49 PM
Teching In

For best results, cut your old oil filter apart and look for shavings in the folds. A few specs is normal, any significant amount you will want to investigate further.

After years on a SF engine dyno and hundreds of engines, we always cut the filters open. Never lost a single engine on the dyno - you could always see it coming (dropped oil pressure, high oil temperature and significant bearing material in the filter).

Sounds like yours may be ok, but its easy enough to check the filter to be sure.

Good luck,

Ron

Originally Posted by KimberWS6
Changed mine tonight and found some dust on the magnet,with all the noise the things make anyways and that I have good oil pressure ,I'm not goning to worry until there is parts comeing out of the block
Old 07-19-2004, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

was this just on the magnet on the drain plug and a very little amount that came out at first? if so then take it from a Valvoline Car Care guy...Ive seen this a few times on multiple cars, thought it might have been the bearings but it was just the threads on the drain plug. The threads on the drain plug and filter were slightly cross-threaded and put quite a few metal shavings in the oil that first drained. Next time you change the oil check the drain plug abd filters threads to see if they are slightly cross-threaded. Sometimes the filter and drain plug get cranked too hard and the threads start to chip off into the oil. Hope thats your problem...

Quick Reply: Metal Shavings in oil