Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How would you have this built block fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 08:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Got an update...

Looks like the oil rings broke and that is what caused the scraping. They probably butted together and had no where to go and thus shattered. Obviously from not enough gap. However, it says right in the Wiseco documentation that you can install the oil rings without checking the gap, so I am not sure who is at fault now. It says the minimum is .010 and that is how it comes from Wiseco. Should I run them at .015 or even larger?
Old 11-29-2012, 08:32 AM
TECH Resident

Here is the Wiseco documentation on ring gaps.

http://www.wiseco.com/PDFs/Manuals/RingEndGap.pdf
Old 11-30-2012, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone have any ideas what causes rings to break? Could they have broken on installation of the piston into the hole?
Old 11-30-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mchicia1
Anyone have any ideas what causes rings to break? Could they have broken on installation of the piston into the hole?
I'm pretty sure this is what happened. If they didn't have them compressed enough it could cause them to catch on the deck. Who knows, I just hope it goes well for you.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rings don't magicly break ...............its safe to assume someone installed them improperly. Any engine builder worth spit checks everything carefully.....<keep that in mind.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get a used 6.0 ,or find a used stock bore 5.7 block.or look for a used 5.3 block to bore out to use your current rotating.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Exidous
I'm pretty sure this is what happened. If they didn't have them compressed enough it could cause them to catch on the deck. Who knows, I just hope it goes well for you.
Thanks.

Yeah after further research, this is really the only thing that would cause that. Or they could have fractured it unknowingly with a ring expander.

Anyway, the motor should be done in a week or so, I dropped off the replacement block last week. The car should be fired up again in two weeks so I will update the thread. I will probably check plugs every trip to and from work (30 miles).

I am giving them the benefit of the doubt because I spoke to a few people who had motors done by them with no issues. **** happens, so I am hoping this was just a one time mistake. (crosses fingers)
Old 12-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Banned

Not trying to stir up sheeet but honestly if someone had look at the cylinder walls after putting this together you would have seen damage from the broken rings even before the engine was finnished or run. Don't let it happen twice, Look carefully at the cylinder wallsc BEFORe the heads go on.

Another tip i'll give up is as I put each piston in and attach the rod to crank after each one I turn the engine over. If it doesn't turn over smooth and free it gets pulled back apart. You get a feel for how it should feel and sound as you go,............when you jam A piston in breaking the oil rings I can tell you without a doubt its gonna sound bad and turn hard.

Anyone tells you they put a piston in a bore and didn't realize they broke the rings is either smokin crack or shouldn't be putting engines together.

Don't bend over a second time!

Last edited by Camaroo1; 12-03-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Camaroo1
Not trying to stir up sheeet but honestly if someone had look at the cylinder walls after putting this together you would have seen damage from the broken rings even before the engine was finnished or run. Don't let it happen twice, Look carefully at the cylinder wallsc BEFORe the heads go on.

Another tip i'll give up is as I put each piston in and attach the rod to crank after each one I turn the engine over. If it doesn't turn over smooth and free it gets pulled back apart. You get a feel for how it should feel and sound as you go,............when you jam A piston in breaking the oil rings I can tell you without a doubt its gonna sound bad and turn hard.

Anyone tells you they put a piston in a bore and didn't realize they broke the rings is either smokin crack or shouldn't be putting engines together.

Don't bend over a second time!
I checked all the bores and turned the motor over. Seemed fine to me, but I am an engine block newb, hence why I paid someone to assemble it for me. I do recall hearing some light scraping, but I thought that was normal simply because the oil was not flowing through the motor yet and the rings were new. Maybe that was the broken ring hahaha.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by studderin
run away

Old 12-24-2012, 10:23 AM
Teching In

I don't mean to kick a dead horse here that doesn't look like improperly installed rings to me. Those scrapes look like piston skirt contact. Something I unfortunately know too much about, having built a number of strokers.

From those of you who seem to think it's a torque plate issue, I would be curious to know why? I'm a new arrival at the LS game, and I would like to know what I missed when looking at the pics.

C.G.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:42 PM
Staging Lane

Everyone makes mistakes but it sounds like they're doing their best to make it right. Cut em a break.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by XLR2006
I don't mean to kick a dead horse here that doesn't look like improperly installed rings to me. Those scrapes look like piston skirt contact. Something I unfortunately know too much about, having built a number of strokers.

From those of you who seem to think it's a torque plate issue, I would be curious to know why? I'm a new arrival at the LS game, and I would like to know what I missed when looking at the pics.

C.G.
This is not a stroker motor. It is slightly bored to 347.

Originally Posted by lsthirdgen
Everyone makes mistakes but it sounds like they're doing their best to make it right. Cut em a break.
+1, he's a good guy. So many shops out there who wouldn't do ****. Wiseco rings finally shipped (2 month backorder FTL), so I should have the motor in soon. Went to head studs with a torque plate this time and took the time to put main studs in as well with a line hone.

Crossing my fingers.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by garygnu
get a used 6.0 ,or find a used stock bore 5.7 block.or look for a used 5.3 block to bore out to use your current rotating.
Can a 5.3 be bored all the way out to a 3.905"?
Old 01-18-2013, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Can a 5.3 be bored all the way out to a 3.905"?
Yes they can be.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Got an update...

Looks like the oil rings broke and that is what caused the scraping. They probably butted together and had no where to go and thus shattered. Obviously from not enough gap. However, it says right in the Wiseco documentation that you can install the oil rings without checking the gap, so I am not sure who is at fault now. It says the minimum is .010 and that is how it comes from Wiseco. Should I run them at .015 or even larger?
Did they show you these broken oil rings, or a picture of them? Every oil ring I have ever seen is soft steel that you can bend any way you want to and they don't break. The expander will break but I have never seen the ring break. Compression rings are a different story.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:50 PM
TECH Resident

Didn't show me and now they're out of business so I am SOL if this 2nd motor doesn't work.

Please just wish me luck

First start tomorrow.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't even start it, its just going to tear itself up and cost you more money and time.

You need to have someone that knows what the fawk there doing look it over, and see whats cool and going to last. And whats hacked the fawk up and get it fixed for real.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:17 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by studderin
I wouldn't even start it, its just going to tear itself up and cost you more money and time.

You need to have someone that knows what the fawk there doing look it over, and see whats cool and going to last. And whats hacked the fawk up and get it fixed for real.
Ever made a mistake in your life? People make mistakes. It is how that mistake is handled that counts. He was accommodating from the get go, and I respect that. I know of 6 others who are using LSX's built by him, so I figured there is no way all of those have issues too (and they don't).

Here is first start. Quiet as a mouse. 30 miles so far and no smoke. Before it smoked the first WOT run.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:17 AM
Banned

Good for you, I'm glad it worked out. The engine building business isn't easy, the end result is only as good as everyone involved.

Quick Reply: How would you have this built block fixed?