Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Few Things to Check-Off for Cam Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A Few Things to Check-Off for Cam Build

Okay, so I am going to start working on my car this coming up Tuesday. There are a few items on the list that I need to mark off. My build will consist off TSP 224-R cam, center bolt valve covers with gaskets, 243 heads, brian tooley dual valve springs with retainers and locks, ported melling oil pump, head bolts, tsp's camshaft gasket kit, harmonic balancer bolt

First, my vehicle has roughly about 176,000 miles on it. I figure with the build that I'm going with, upgrading the rocker arms couldn't be a bad idea. I was looking into getting Comp Cams LS Rocker Arm Trunnion kit. Any thoughts on these rocker arms or should I be looking at something a little bit better?

Next, with upgrading the rocker arms, I figure upgrade the pushrods. I have absolutely no knowledge as of what are some good pushrods out there. Any thoughts on Chromoly? Also, what length should I be looking at getting?

With the 224R cam, will there be any gear bolt that I need to get for this cam? I don't know if I need a 2-bolt or a 3-bolt.

Also, will I need an ls valve seal kit for the heads?

Last but not least, anyone have good advice on some good coil relocaters in which I will not have to buy coils? Don't know if these exist, but I'd prefer to save about 600 and NOT have to buy new coils :/

I'm on a budget, so I'm not looking to get yella terra rockers which are like 500 bucks. I'm looking to get something where you get good performance for your money for all of the parts listed above.

If I have missed anything, please call me up on it. I'm new to this type of thing and I'm by no means as experienced as 99% of the people on this site. Also in advance, thanks for the help.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Comp rocker upgrade kit would be a good idea.
New pushrods would be wise as well. As for length, probably stock since you aren't changing lifters or anything with the geometry other than maybe the cam base circle. But I would measure just to be sure.
The spring kit should come with new valve seals, mine kit from Tooley did.
A new timing set would be smart if you still have the stock one.
Don't forget water pump and timing cover gaskets, oil pump o-ring, and a front main seal. Also need a new crank bolt unless you get an ARP one.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have some coil relocation brackets to put the coils under the cowl.. 100$ shipped.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Comp rocker upgrade kit would be a good idea.
New pushrods would be wise as well. As for length, probably stock since you aren't changing lifters or anything with the geometry other than maybe the cam base circle. But I would measure just to be sure.
The spring kit should come with new valve seals, mine kit from Tooley did.
A new timing set would be smart if you still have the stock one.
Don't forget water pump and timing cover gaskets, oil pump o-ring, and a front main seal. Also need a new crank bolt unless you get an ARP one.
Can't believe that I forgot to mention this, but yes I am upgrading the lifters. I will be putting in the LS7 Lifters. The whole reason for this build is mainly because I have a lifter that is bad and really knocking hard. Are you still recommending stock length pushrods?
Old 11-15-2012, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 98WS6Hville
Can't believe that I forgot to mention this, but yes I am upgrading the lifters. I will be putting in the LS7 Lifters. The whole reason for this build is mainly because I have a lifter that is bad and really knocking hard. Are you still recommending stock length pushrods?
With LS7 lifters you will definitely need to measure pushrod length. I had to use shorter pushrods, others have used stock. It varies from motor to motor. If you don't want extra down time then you will have to buy a bunch of pushrod sets so you have the right length ready. I'd also suggest LS2 lifter trays.

Obviously new head gaskets, and maybe intake manifold gaskets. New head bolts or get ARP's. Exhaust manifold gaskets maybe. If all of the gaskets have 176k miles it would be wise to change them all even if they appear okay.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you go with aftermarket rockers get the brain tooley max pressure thats for aftermarket rockers don't forget the locktite new head bolts I just studded my block today
Old 11-15-2012, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Okay, so this first post was somewhat unorganized. I'm home now and this is the list that I have written down. SKU's are presented for reference point if something has an odd description:

*LS7 Lifters (12499225) x1
*LS2 Lifter Guide Trays (12595365) x4
*Ported Melling Oil Pump (SD0295C) x1
*LS2 Timing Chain (12586482) x1
*LS1 Remote Coil Bracket [Need recommendation on where to get one since I'll have 243 heads which switch from my side to center bolt gaskets]
*LS2 Head Gasket (12589227) x2
*Cylinder Head Bolt Kit (12498545) x1
*Texas-Speed Camshaft Bolt and Gasket Kit (28-CamGskKit) x1
[Kit includes:Cometic Timing Cover Gasket, Cometic Front Crankshaft Seal, Cometic Water Pump Gaskets, GM Harmonic Balancer Bolt]
*Brian Tooley Max Pressure Spring Kit .565" (SK002) x1
*Comp Cam LS Rocker Arm Trunion Kit (CC13702-KIT) x1
*LS Chromoly Pushrods (PR7400312) [comes in 8's] x1
*Assembly Lube
*Iridium NGK Spark Plugs

EDIT: Still need an answer on what the 224R Camshaft needs.. a 2-bolt or 3-bolt? I can provide pic here in a second.
Then also I need a reference for where to get a coil bracket relocater for my new 243 heads since my '98 will now be center bolt valve covers. Would like to get the kind where you don't need new coils if possible.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can just buy center bolt brackets. summit sells the brackets for $25 plus shipping. i have a brand new set i bought from them that i will sell for a tad cheaper.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-440345/overview/
Old 11-15-2012, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

Just fyi 7.35 push rod length is the common size people use when they swith to ls7 lifters because ls7 lifters are a lil taller from the center but always double check by using a push rod length tool
Old 01-03-2013, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

I know i'm bringing up an old thread, but I couldn't find an answer to my question.

http://www.briantooleyracing.com/660...retainers.html
Will I be able to run these springs on stock rockers with the TSP 224r cam without any issues?

Quick Reply: A Few Things to Check-Off for Cam Build