Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I run the engine without rockers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read into this a few years ago on another forum. The best way to do this is take whichever cylinder to BDC before you release the rockers and the air will act like a spring when you run it. It will not harm the motor. This method has been around for years.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry, I rambled and wasn't clear...

the air being compressed with valves closed is ok

( think about what happens on compression stroke )
Old 11-16-2012, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28Drifter348
I read into this a few years ago on another forum. The best way to do this is take whichever cylinder to BDC before you release the rockers and the air will act like a spring when you run it. It will not harm the motor. This method has been around for years.
Good idea. I will give this a shot next week.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There was a recent thread that had a similar problem. It got worse with aftermarket valve springs. I will see if I can find the thread, but he did the trunnion upgrade and it helped immensely if you are running stock rockers.

Found the thread, hopefully it has some good information: Link
Old 11-17-2012, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

How go You do compression test ? You disable the fuel/spark to all cylinders and put tester in 1 cyl at a time which won't hurt a thing . Lifters will also be just fine with p-rods removed . Before You try that with 1 rocker cover removed at a time ,,,,,,,,squirt some oil down 1 or both p-rods at a time and start it and listen for quieter operation ,,,,,,,,the oil will make it to the lifter and lubricate the lifter for a few and quiet a lifter that has been a little too starved for oil .
Old 11-17-2012, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

IMO, if you get everything ahead of time (tools,trq specs and sequences, gaskets, coolant, thread lube, sealant, loctite, and cleaning supplies), and make sure you have a shop-vac with a good wet/dry filter you can remove/install the heads in 1 day.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by vettenuts
There was a recent thread that had a similar problem. It got worse with aftermarket valve springs. I will see if I can find the thread, but he did the trunnion upgrade and it helped immensely if you are running stock rockers.
Thanks for the link. I am already using the Comp upgrade, they are all fine. I moved rockers around and the noise stays put. The noise is coming from deeper in the engine. It's not too noticeable from above, very noticeable from underneath.

Originally Posted by chrisfrost
How go You do compression test ? You disable the fuel/spark to all cylinders and put tester in 1 cyl at a time which won't hurt a thing . Lifters will also be just fine with p-rods removed . Before You try that with 1 rocker cover removed at a time ,,,,,,,,squirt some oil down 1 or both p-rods at a time and start it and listen for quieter operation ,,,,,,,,the oil will make it to the lifter and lubricate the lifter for a few and quiet a lifter that has been a little too starved for oil .
I already did a compression test and all is good. Besides, a compression test won't show anything unless the lifter is stuck at the top, which none of them are. I'm trying to isolate a lifter issue here.

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
IMO, if you get everything ahead of time (tools,trq specs and sequences, gaskets, coolant, thread lube, sealant, loctite, and cleaning supplies), and make sure you have a shop-vac with a good wet/dry filter you can remove/install the heads in 1 day.
I am terribly slow and take my sweet *** time. Even with very few hangups it took me 3 days to do the head/cam swap
Old 11-19-2012, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

So I got around to doing this tonight. What I did was remove the both rockers and pushrods from a cylinder. Rotate the engine until that cylinder was at BDC. Left in the spark plug. Unplugged and injector and coil for that cylinder. Did this for cylinder 5 and 7 where the noise is coming from. And when I did cylinder 5 the noise was significantly less. I did cylinder 5 twice just to confirm, same results both times.

The preload on this cylinder is 0.091 on the exhaust with a 7.350 pushrod and 0.084 on the intake with a 7.325 pushrod. Putting a 7.325 pushrod on the exhaust valve did not change the noise. I may try a 7.350 on the intake valve to see if it makes the noise better or worse.

Both lifters are physically fine from what I can tell through the valve cover. They bleed down fine when tightening the rocker and pump back up when removing the rocker. I can't push them down by hand. Both rockers are fine, springs are fine.

With the engine running I also just unplugged the injectors and the noise did not go away, so it's probably not something related to the combustion.

Anyone have anymore thoughts? Sounds like it might be a bad lifter, but I was hoping to be able to physically tell that the lifter was bad.

One last ditch effort may be to put Mobil 1 10W-30 back in since the noise started shortly after putting in Rotella 5W-40.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check for a bent pushrod, it doesn't take much of a bend. Also check to make sure the pushrods aren't touching the head. I never liked 5w oil. Also make sure the rocker isn't touching the baffles in the valve covers.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mike13
check for a bent pushrod, it doesn't take much of a bend. Also check to make sure the pushrods aren't touching the head. I never liked 5w oil. Also make sure the rocker isn't touching the baffles in the valve covers.
It's not doing any of those things. Pushrods are all perfect

Quick Reply: Can I run the engine without rockers?