Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H/C setup for street/strip use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004 | 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Question H/C setup for street/strip use?

Hey guys,
I have but a lot of time into looking at good combos but I want to get some input from people that may have used them. Here is a little about the car: 90 Iroc with a 2001 LS1 and a T-56. I will be swapping out the rear end next year but I will be running 3.42s this year. I have ordered a LT setup that should work with the swap if not I will get some made. I will also jump up to bigger injectors if needed.

1. The car will not be daily driven but I would like to drive it to pittsburgh on nice days. (No more than 10 times a year. It will mostly be a weekend tire roaster and strip car.)
2. I would like to stay in the 18 MPG area (highway). I dont want my dads Dakota R/T milage. lol
3. I would like the cam springs to last at least 10k miles but seeing that I dont drive it much I will put a 2 year limit on them too.
4. I want more than factory TQ on the low end so it still feels like a 350TPI setup but also pulls like a mother up top.
5. I dont want to have to put the engine into the high 6k rpm band to get power.
6. I would like to stay away from flycuting. (I can be done if I realllly need to)

Here is what I found that fits my price and goal range.
MTI Stage 2e heads with a X1 cam
PP Stage II LS6 heads with TSP 231/237 cam

So what do you guys think? Any setup better than the other or is there a better setup that I could put together to fit my needs?

BTW I just want to thank everyone for this site!! It has been a big help in the last few weeks!
Old 04-12-2004 | 10:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

i would just get some pp 5.3 heads & a 224/112 cam if i were in your shoes...or even some AS 1.5's w/ same cam

lata
Bill
Old 04-13-2004 | 08:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry but I forgot some info.
I do not have to have the emissions sniffer test done because of my location.

foff667,
I was looking at the 224 but felt it might be a little small by looking at the specs but after reading a few posts it looks like the HP output if very high for the profile plus the 5.3 heads should give it more grunt. Thanks for your input!!
Old 04-13-2004 | 08:29 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

people are putting out over 400 to the wheels pretty easy with that cam, bolt ons and a good set of heads...personally i like the lope of a bigger cam but im sure with the 224 on a 112 will give you a little lumpity lump and should put out some decent power #'s even low in the rpm band which will put a smile on your face around town The 5.3's usually just bump up your compression a bit giving you 5-10 more hp than 5.7 heads unless they are milled...most ls6 heads are not needed unless your building a beast and some have low velocity which doenst necessarily work well with small cams/engines so id stick with the 5.3/5.7 combo instead of an ls6 or ls6 style head and you can save a little money in the meantime. I'd say take a look at AS, TEA, AP, PP heads and see what they have to say but I think youd be pretty darn happy with that little cam and with an m6 would definitly put down some #'s.

lata
Bill
Old 04-13-2004 | 09:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

I don't think you could go wrong with either setup your considering.

Of course I'm bias towards the MTI setup becuase that's exactly what I have
Old 04-13-2004 | 09:56 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by YsoFast
Hey guys,
Here is what I found that fits my price and goal range.
MTI Stage 2e heads with a X1 cam
PP Stage II LS6 heads with TSP 231/237 cam
I have the MTI 2e/X1 combo on my '02 SS and it is very daily-drivable. I've driven the car every single day for the last month (about 60 miles a day) and I've had no issues with drivability. If I can keep my foot out of the throttle, it sees about 25 mpg no problem. 427 rwhp thru catalytics and factory catback.

Tony
Old 04-13-2004 | 10:09 AM
TECH Veteran

you could make just about any setup work as long as you have it properly tuned. Tuning makes all the difference in the world for performance and driveability.
Old 04-13-2004 | 10:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

It will be tuned. My buddy has his car done and waiting for mine to get finished up. Then we are loading them both up and taking them to a dyno. I can't remember were he said we were going but it is 4 hours away from here and they work on third and 4th gens.
All I need is to make up my mind before I get the little 305TPI out so I can have the LS1 ready to go in. I want the H/C installed before I put it in so it is easier. The good news is my first round of parts should be here this week.
Old 04-13-2004 | 12:16 PM
TECH Regular

Go bigger than a 224. The 224 is a great cam, don't get me wrong, but you don't have emissions so I would go bigger. I have read a lot of threads lately about people switching to larger cams because they wanted more than the 224, and I was one of them. Take a look at some of the FMS cams. They produce some very impressive #'s. Do a search and you will find some good posts about them or just look in the dyno section. Just another option to look into. All of the sponsors have great cams though!
Old 04-13-2004 | 04:42 PM
Banned

What do you mean by "more than factory TQ on the low end"? Because, I see often peak hp gets attention no one hits 2-4k rpm on a dyno graph. That might be a good explaination of the wide answers you might get.
Old 04-14-2004 | 03:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I mean SOTP feel. I like the low end grunt of the 350TPI setup but I hate the dead feeling after 4500rpm. From what I heard the LS1 doesn't make as much bottem end as the TPI setup and I think I would miss that feeling even if it pulled like a train up top.

I just told my buddy my plans for a H/C setup and he thinks I lost my mind. He doesn't think that much power in a third gen is a good idea. I just want to while my passangers are ! lol
Old 04-17-2004 | 02:16 AM
Banned

lol, those are some steep requirements! You might have to make a compromise. I believe something bigger than 224 won't have the low end you're looking for. I would read into the 216/220 threads that have been floating around...it seems to fit all your requirements.