Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Under drive pulley weights...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Under drive pulley weights...

...I know there are a bunch of threads about UD pulleys, but a while back I saw a a post where somebody listed the weights of all the major brands of pulleys. I remember seeing that and saying AH-HA!! Now I know what pulley I am going to go with!! Problem is, that was a while ago and I'm ready to buy my pulley and I completely forgot which one I decided on. Does anybody remember this thread? It was really useful information. Thanks.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't remember the thread but I would be careful in buying the lightest harmonic damper as it may not do its primary job causing bigger issues. Weight on something that small in diameter, from an inertial stand-point, is not a good trade-off and won't buy much if any performance gain.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:02 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the SLP pulley a good one....or powerbond?
Old 11-26-2012, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bobby G
Is the SLP pulley a good one....or powerbond?
The SLP IS a Powerbond. That's what I ran on my last setup, before I dropped a valve (completely unrelated)
Old 11-26-2012, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Don't remember the thread but I would be careful in buying the lightest harmonic damper as it may not do its primary job causing bigger issues. Weight on something that small in diameter, from an inertial stand-point, is not a good trade-off and won't buy much if any performance gain.
I'm with you on that, but the post was pretty informative more so because some of them were soooo heavy.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't know which thread your talking about but my march ud pulley is kinda heavy, heavier than stock but it's a fluid design which is supposed to help with harmonics & etc....but interested in knowing the weights also!!!
Old 11-26-2012, 05:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1999BlueTA
Don't know which thread your talking about but my march ud pulley is kinda heavy, heavier than stock but it's a fluid design which is supposed to help with harmonics & etc....but interested in knowing the weights also!!!
This^^^^^^^ and research "moment of inertia". The weight is not an issue.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

I know that since its such a small diameter that the weight shouldnt make a huge difference. However, when you think about it...... its bolted to the crankshaft. If you were going to buy a crankshaft and the quality, materials and specs were all the same except one weighed 4 pounds less you would def pop for the lighter one.

At the end of the day I'm just looking for the post by the guy who listed all the major players in the pully/dampner for LS1 arena. My 32K stock pulley has a wobble otherwise i wouldnt even consider it. I just want to find the right one and weight does seem like a legit consideration point.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

The balancer's main purpose is to reduce the torsional vibrations of the engine...I understand your thinking that less weight is better which I would tend to agree with you on, just not on a crank pulley...if you want the best crank dampener get an ati
Old 11-27-2012, 02:07 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

ATI for absolute best or the Powerbond if you want a little less expensive.

ATI makes power not by reducing weight, but by increasing harmonic dampening. That's worth power right there. The Powerbond might do some of that (who knows?) but it gets most of it's power from underdriving the accessories. Which is okay at speed - and if you have a big enough cam where your idle is up, you won't notice any ill effects. Stock car with stock cam might be another story...
Old 11-27-2012, 04:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
I'm with you on that, but the post was pretty informative more so because some of them were soooo heavy.
Not sure if you tried this, but sometimes when I am looking for a particular thread I do a Google search rather than searching within ls1tech.com as it seems to pick up more hits within ls1tech.com for some reason.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Not sure if you tried this, but sometimes when I am looking for a particular thread I do a Google search rather than searching within ls1tech.com as it seems to pick up more hits within ls1tech.com for some reason.
I did try a google search, several of them actually. Oh well. In the end I'll probably score a powerbond, but I cant help but feel there was something better out there that didnt cost as much as the ati. Sorry to bring up the same old S with this UD pulley nonsense, that wasnt my intention.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:20 AM
TECH Addict

https://sdparts.com/details/powerbon.../kpbu1480-ss25

Anybody know if this is just the UDP or does it also come with an over drive alt pulley? Seems like a pretty good deal.

Quick Reply: Under drive pulley weights...