Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update*** oil leak fixed OPSU replaced low oil pressure...

Old 11-26-2012, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update*** oil leak fixed OPSU replaced low oil pressure...

((((((((Read here update!!! ))))))))Well after replacing my pcv hose my burnt smell and oil leak stopped... Well for a while... car started leaking again only after hard runs...if she was driven hard she was going to leak so I moved my intake outta the way to check my oil pressure sensor...entire sensor was covered in oil even on the connector..I replaced the sensor but now my pressure reads only at 20 psi and I know it's cold about 65 degrees ok cold for Texas but when car warmed up it got up to 30 psi while drivung, by the way with the leaky sensor my oil pressure was around 40 idle and 60 cursing after I fixed my pcv hose.

Has anyone encountered this issues before?
Don't feel like taking the car apart again,saw the glow shift adapter for the oil filter should I just run a mechanical gauge?)))))))))))

I thank everyone for the help early with my oil pressure going to get that checked this weekend, but I've also noticed my car has a faint smell of burnt every time I drive so popped the hood and saw liquid on my drivers side header the passenger was the same!

Header looked soaked and I could see bubbles coming from the header bolts
Car has 95 thousand miles do I need to replace the header gaskets or the head gasket maybe the entire heads? Please any advice is welcomed

Last edited by bad intentions; 12-13-2012 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Update
Old 11-26-2012, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be a cracked head letting coolant into the header bolt hole. You could remove that bolt and see if more coolant comes out.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So I could possibly have two cracked heads hmmmm, would I notice and performance issues because the car runs great
Old 11-27-2012, 12:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by bad intentions
So I could possibly have two cracked heads hmmmm, would I notice and performance issues because the car runs great
It depends on where they are cracked at. From the pic it's hard to tell where its coming from. Are you sure it's not an oil leak coming from the valve covers? Is your coolant level going down any?
Old 11-27-2012, 03:58 AM
On The Tree

These heads are difficult to crack unless motor has been over heating very seriously. I think the leak is coming from the top of the valve covers which makes me think this could be something else.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

try degreasing the engine so you can get a clean slate to see where it might be leaking from before you starting thinking what it is . Don't get ahead of yourself .
Old 11-27-2012, 07:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think it might be oil as well because the header looked exactly like in the picture this morning. I think if I would be coolant it would have at least dried up.

Liljayv10 I think you might be correct on the valve cover leak cause on the passenger side I did notice some moisture around the seal.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
try degreasing the engine so you can get a clean slate to see where it might be leaking from before you starting thinking what it is . Don't get ahead of yourself .
Thanks car engine has already been degreased, and I did see a little oil around the valve cover but nothing that leaked a bunch but the engine was off.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think it might be oil as well because the header looked exactly like in the picture this morning. I think if I would be coolant it would have at least dried up.

Liljayv10 I think you might be correct on the valve cover leak cause on the passenger side I did notice some moisture around the seal.
The water in the coolant will dry up but the Dexcool won't. If you've ever spilled coolant on pavement it looks like a oil leak afterwards until it's washed away. However I'd suspect the heat on the header to burn off the Dexcool quite quickly. Does look more like oil to me too.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
The water in the coolant will dry up but the Dexcool won't. If you've ever spilled coolant on pavement it looks like a oil leak afterwards until it's washed away. However I'd suspect the heat on the header to burn off the Dexcool quite quickly. Does look more like oil to me too.
Thanks ferocity I'm changing the valve cover gaskets this weekend then Going from there more than likely adding headers and new gaskets and bolts next month
Old 11-28-2012, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Woke up to fine two nickel size of fresh oil drops in my garage the car had never leaked oil before but it did have the burnt smell. Any ideas as to if changing the valve cover gaskets will help this issues.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Woke up to fine two nickel size of fresh oil drops in my garage the car had never leaked oil before but it did have the burnt smell. Any ideas as to if changing the valve cover gaskets will help this issues.
It will help if they are leaking

Honestly oil can come from anywhere. Ge in there with a flashlight and find the source.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

From what I can see in the pic it looks like the valve cover is leaking. That's really the only thing on the side of the engine that high up that can leak oil.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Add some oil dye to the engine and drive the car around for a week. Check for a leak with a black light, it'll help pinpoint the leak and not have you throwing parts at your car.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just some info, it is possible to leak coolant thou the header bolts, as in the thread title. But looking that you have stock manifolds, and its wet on the top of the flange this isnt the case.

BUT, if you put to long of a header bolt in, you can break the bottem of the bolt hole out in the cly head casting. Some go into coolant, some the oil drain back of the head. I know this is has happened on some dart heads Ive worked on, it was funny/weird you would have to put sealant on one of the header bolts. And coolant would full stream, and drain out, when you removed the bolt with the coolant full. LOL
Old 11-29-2012, 12:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

At 1st I did think it was coolant but that is outta question now. I know, well we all know its oil, I got a pretty good feeling its the valve covers after all the info and suggestions from the memebers. I was able to lift the car and get under it I didn't take any pics but I saw that oil was leaking down both rear sides of the passagner and diver heads and running off into the rear part of my headers on both sides.
I think I might have a broken pcv hose and clogged pcv, could this cause my valve covers to leak or for that matter could the hose leak if Its break is located on the back of the manifold?

Last edited by bad intentions; 11-29-2012 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go to parts store and buy some of that uv dye and you'll be able to see exactly where its coming from
Old 11-29-2012, 06:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll get the dye today,when I get the parts to fix the pcv
Old 11-29-2012, 09:08 AM
Launching!

You dont happen to have the 706 castech heads do you?

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/Bl...t_loss_5.3.pdf
Old 11-29-2012, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Heads are 241 thanks for the info though

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Update*** oil leak fixed OPSU replaced low oil pressure...