Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 production ls1? Pics of valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 12:44 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey I just recently stumbled upon this thread and wanted to give you guys some more information. My coworker is the owner of Thrasher Engineering, the late supercharged 3800 company from the early 2000's. Some of you may remember it, here's the site: http://www.thrashercharged.com/L67_htm/3800_home.asp

In any case, he worked at GM as well as GM-Delphi for many years, and during the 93-94 LS development. GM essentially attempts to scrap and destroy all prototype and dev work, like all companies....but as we've seen before, things get saved from the crusher and make it out alive lol

When GM started development of the LS1, the original prototype coil design was all in one, and embedded into the valve cover. It looked slick, and functioned. But the problem was cost and ease of maintenance. That embedded part was design by GMDelphi at the time, and the contract was eventually lost when a third party came in and re-designed the Singular coils that we know today...they were cheaper and easier to swap out. GM went to production with that design.

Also, the marking "W" on the left hand side of the picture denotes "Warren". GM's engineering teams were split depending on platform. If you ever see an "F" on a pcm or part, it most-likely belonged to the V6 platform team, which worked out of Flint Michigan. The Warren Michigan team is responsible for V8 platform like the LS engines.

If I get more info I'll post up! Hope that helps!
Old 08-08-2017, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 85'irocz
Hey I just recently stumbled upon this thread and wanted to give you guys some more information. My coworker is the owner of Thrasher Engineering, the late supercharged 3800 company from the early 2000's. Some of you may remember it, here's the site: http://www.thrashercharged.com/L67_htm/3800_home.asp

In any case, he worked at GM as well as GM-Delphi for many years, and during the 93-94 LS development. GM essentially attempts to scrap and destroy all prototype and dev work, like all companies....but as we've seen before, things get saved from the crusher and make it out alive lol

When GM started development of the LS1, the original prototype coil design was all in one, and embedded into the valve cover. It looked slick, and functioned. But the problem was cost and ease of maintenance. That embedded part was design by GMDelphi at the time, and the contract was eventually lost when a third party came in and re-designed the Singular coils that we know today...they were cheaper and easier to swap out. GM went to production with that design.

Also, the marking "W" on the left hand side of the picture denotes "Warren". GM's engineering teams were split depending on platform. If you ever see an "F" on a pcm or part, it most-likely belonged to the V6 platform team, which worked out of Flint Michigan. The Warren Michigan team is responsible for V8 platform like the LS engines.

If I get more info I'll post up! Hope that helps!
I know it's an old Thread, but Interesting for sure.
Curious if Lance (Pantera EFI) has any interesting comments on this?
Old 08-09-2017, 02:59 PM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default LS-7 with 60-2 (58x) 1998

Hi Slogo, no sorry.

My work (LS) started in 1998 when the LS-7 Truck Engine was fitted with my 60-2 TW (58x) then the Hendrick Head (LS-3) development with the 58x TW.

My first GM work was the Buick Celebrity AND the Buick GN.
This was directed at the use of the 60-2 AND Twin Post coil.
They chose to use a 6+1 TW and the same coil.
They in 1992-1994 Delphi Purchasing work for a Camless Engine.

Lance

Quick Reply: 1994 production ls1? Pics of valve covers