Shutting off knock sensors???? Why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by soundengineer
the sensors ground thru the block on an LS1

one of 2 things...
either a bad sensor, or a bad signal wire...

pull the intake, check the wires for continuity with a multi-meter
do a visual inspection of the wires for cracks/breaks/burn spots/bare wire

if you have no signs of the wire being bad, replace the Sensor in question(the front one is bank one)..
if that doesnt solve it, then buy Knock sensor wire harness

both items can be gotten at a GM Dealership for reasonably cheap

I personally would Just do them both because its easier to only have to pull the intake once.
Awesome. Thanks man. It will have to wait bc this is my DD so ill have to find a way to get to work and such when I get ready to break it down. I'm planning to have it down sometime soon to do some other stuff so ill probably do it all then. Thanks again!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:35 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by KissMyTushZ28
Awesome. Thanks man. It will have to wait bc this is my DD so ill have to find a way to get to work and such when I get ready to break it down. I'm planning to have it down sometime soon to do some other stuff so ill probably do it all then. Thanks again!
go to a GM dealership... buy both parts...

you can do it all in one evening after work...
its really not all that hard to get the intake off.

take back whatever you dont use....
they usually have some sort of a no refund on installed electronics policy..
so look at teh wires first... if they look good... and test fine with a multi-meter, then just do the sensor and return the wires after you find out that the sensor did the trick.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome! Will do! Thank you a lot man!
Old 12-09-2012, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I got the same codes I was going to ask about this happy I seen it look like ill be taking the intake back off and replacing both parta
Old 12-09-2012, 03:26 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by chevybayboy
I got the same codes I was going to ask about this happy I seen it look like ill be taking the intake back off and replacing both parta
a common thing that happens, is people do an intake change...and when they put it back on, they pinch the wires....
which leads to them getting melted by engine heat..which makes them short out...

when you pull the intake off.. look closely at the wires...might be a simple wire splice fix
Old 12-09-2012, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

a common thing that happens, is people do an intake change...and when they put it back on, they pinch the wires....
which leads to them getting melted by engine heat..which makes them short out...

when you pull the intake off.. look closely at the wires...might be a simple wire splice fix
Ok cool ill check that out tomorrow
Old 12-11-2012, 09:04 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

again... read my post.....
there are no reasons to turn off knock sensors...
you just need to learn how to tune the settings for them.

headers resting on the block, wont cause knock...its not even the same frequency that the knock sensors are looking for.
LS1 sensors look for an 11.1 kHz sound, and look for a certain amplitude...

LS3 style sensors look for a lower frequency around 5k ish...

in both cases, you can add a simple bandpass filter to the signal wire if you understand a little about electronics...which will remove almost all problems with false knock casued by other noises.
I didn't say you should remove them
I said that people do for those reasons

I've seen a car pull timing on the dyno because of headers hitting the block, Whatever frequency the sensors detect, they were obviously making it
Old 12-12-2012, 01:09 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by mkvamso
I didn't say you should remove them
I said that people do for those reasons

I've seen a car pull timing on the dyno because of headers hitting the block, Whatever frequency the sensors detect, they were obviously making it
no... the headers didnt make that high frequency inside the block....
they just made enough noise to be so loud it triggered the knock sensors because they were not tuned properly to match the system in use with the mods in use

the knock sensors are centered around a frequency... but the filtering is non existent, so they pick up everything...and other noises can be loud enough to trigger them at their stock default values
Old 03-23-2013, 04:14 PM
11 Second Club

incorrect.....

people Just dont know how to fine tune knock sensitivity so they do it the easiest way possible, which is to turn them off..

most people also dont know how to tell the difference between real knock and tip in knock(which is calculated...not heard by the sensors)

I run a 252/274 cam with knock sensors and no issues.
also running a Motor plate and mid plate with a Poly trans mount...
I never had any issues with my sold motor mounts before I did the motor plate and mid plate

if somebody tells you that you cant use knock sensors with a certain combo... its because they dont know how to tune them to work with that combo.
Hi Soundengineer
Can you explain how to tune the knock sensors?
Old 03-27-2013, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Roger Blackmore
Pre ingnition and detonation (knock) are 2 different things I believe.
Correct,
There is no such thing as "predetonation".

There are many people who use the term, but the fact is, there is no such thing.

Detonation and Pre-Ignition are forms of uncontrolled combustion.

I'm not just a person with an opinion, I do this stuff for a living. I have done combustion analysis for OEM calibrators.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 901 Likes on 642 Posts

You felt the need to join the board just to post what has already been said?
Old 07-01-2013, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

in both cases, you can add a simple bandpass filter to the signal wire if you understand a little about electronics...which will remove almost all problems with false knock casued by other noises.
Please do tell. What filter and which wire? Also, can you elaborate on how to tune knock sensors.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Replaced the sensor and the harness. I still have an SES light. I'm going to check what codes they are again this week. But the SES has come on and gone back off after several shutdowns and startups. It always comes back on though when I am in off of the gas in gear and letting the engine rev itself down. Like when I'm slowing down for a light that I think is going to change soon so I downshift into 4th or if I'm cruising and come up to light traffic and let off of the gas. I want this SES light gone!
Old 07-02-2013, 12:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
You felt the need to join the board just to post what has already been said?
No actually he joined to disagree with what was said. I applaud anyone who has something positive to add to the conversation.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:23 AM
TECH Addict

Replaced the sensor and the harness. I still have an SES light. I'm going to check what codes they are again this week. But the SES has come on and gone back off after several shutdowns and startups. It always comes back on though when I am in off of the gas in gear and letting the engine rev itself down. Like when I'm slowing down for a light that I think is going to change soon so I downshift into 4th or if I'm cruising and come up to light traffic and let off of the gas. I want this SES light gone!
A bit off topic but can you PM me where you bought the sensors and harness? I need 99+ sensors and the cheapest i found is $180.

Sorry for the
Old 07-02-2013, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zlow28
A bit off topic but can you PM me where you bought the sensors and harness? I need 99+ sensors and the cheapest i found is $180.

Sorry for the
No problem dude! If you look back in the thread, you'll see where one of the guys recommended going to a dealer and buying them. That's what I did. I went and picked up an oil pressure sending unit, knock sensor and the harness. And I got all of the hoses and connectors to redo my PCV, that way I could do it all at once since I would have the intake Mani off. I don't remember how much it all was but yeah it was kind of expensive. But worth it if it fixes the problem in my book. SES lights are annoying as hell to me. Especially when they go off for a little while then come back.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks, I'm gonna try my dealer today see how much they want for them.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem dude! If you look back in the thread, you'll see where one of the guys recommended going to a dealer and buying them. That's what I did. I went and picked up an oil pressure sending unit, knock sensor and the harness. And I got all of the hoses and connectors to redo my PCV, that way I could do it all at once since I would have the intake Mani off. I don't remember how much it all was but yeah it was kind of expensive. But worth it if it fixes the problem in my book. SES lights are annoying as hell to me. Especially when they go off for a little while then come back.
I was having a similar issue and I had the tuner mess with the tune and he got the KS's under control.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, problem is I'm nowhere near needing a tune mod wise and don't want to spend money on one until I am.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Even if you are bone stock you'll benefit from a good tune.

Quick Reply: Shutting off knock sensors???? Why?