Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shutting off knock sensors???? Why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 01:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't want to spend money on it until I need to. I have a very tight budget right now unfortunately. Hell I'm struggling just to save up to get a clutch right now. It sucks. But interestingly enough, I just replaced my thermostat(which had the seal deteriorating off and stuck in the spring) and put in fresh and correctly mixed Dex-Cool and the SES light has not come on for a couple days. I don't know how that would effect the knock sensor but I'll take it if it works!
Old 07-11-2013, 04:55 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KissMyTushZ28
I don't want to spend money on it until I need to. I have a very tight budget right now unfortunately. Hell I'm struggling just to save up to get a clutch right now. It sucks.
Sounds like you need to leave the car alone then.
I haven't read every post, but appears thus far,that every bit of advice you have been given, you seemed to have argued.
Go buy yourself a Prius and be done.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Dude what the hell are you talking about? I took the advice given to me about what to buy, where to buy it, and how to attempt to fix the problem. I did so and it didn't fix the problem! This is my second F-Body and I took great care of my first one that I brought back from almost death. But sadly I had to sell it because I had to move and needed the money. Out of this entire thread the only thing I have argued was getting a tune, and that is because I don't have several hundred dollars to drop on that because I need a new clutch first! I have my priorities set for what I need to spend on! Being in a financial bind happens to everyone at some point, it sucks but I'll get through it. It doesn't make me unworthy to own a damn LS F-body! I'm a full time college student, I can't spend every dime I make on my car! No matter how much I want to!

And I spoke too soon. Light came back on today while cruising at 80MPH on the interstate.

Last edited by KissMyTushZ28; 07-11-2013 at 05:31 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:47 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mred
Sounds like you need to leave the car alone then.
I haven't read every post, but appears thus far,that every bit of advice you have been given, you seemed to have argued.
Go buy yourself a Prius and be done.

A prius!!! Oh no you didnt.... Maybe you are giving that advice because your T/A runs like one.
Here is the thing douche bag, ppl like you have been destroying the ls1tech community and its becoming more of who can be more of a dick than one who can give advice.
If you have nothing helpful to reply, stay the F** out of the convo, and go troll on FB or whatever kindergarden site you all popular in.
Debating and asking questions is all part of the process of learning, things about our rides. I started here as a noob, and now have a decent set up ls1 and going even bigger as we speak.
Do yourself a favor and save yourself from the embarrassment to come. Now
If you think you have something to prove... please fire away.

Kissmytush... dont let one A$$ bag full of D!K$, run you away from LS1Tech. There is plenty of good ppl here, and I will help you with as much as i know. Hope to see you around at out local meet soon bro.
Laterz
Old 07-11-2013, 09:51 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by KissMyTushZ28
I don't want to spend money on it until I need to. I have a very tight budget right now unfortunately. Hell I'm struggling just to save up to get a clutch right now. It sucks. But interestingly enough, I just replaced my thermostat(which had the seal deteriorating off and stuck in the spring) and put in fresh and correctly mixed Dex-Cool and the SES light has not come on for a couple days. I don't know how that would effect the knock sensor but I'll take it if it works!

So you replaced your Tstat and seal, but you had a knock sensor code pop up? Run that by me again, whats the problem now and what are you trying to get rid of.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe he disconnected battery or something is my guess while doing the stat and cleared the codes in the pcm. It takes a few drive cycles once the codes have been cleared if the knock sensor problem is still present to turn the MIL back on.

2 new knock sensors and a knock sensor harness will fix your problem. While you are in there clean the top of the area in front of both knock sensors with brake clean and get to shiny aluminum then take a tube of RTV and on the front side of each knock sensor opening make a happy face about 3/8 of a inch high from the 10'oclock to the 3 oclock position this will divert water around the knock sensor opening and help prevent a reoccurance of the same problem in the future. GM has a TSB on it that describes it in greater detail that I'm sure you can find on google but above is the cliff notes version.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LASTOFTHEBREED02T/A
So you replaced your Tstat and seal, but you had a knock sensor code pop up? Run that by me again, whats the problem now and what are you trying to get rid of.
I had the Knock sensor problem for a while before I changed the Tstat and coolant. But afterward I thought it was gone for some reason because it didn't come back on for several days, but it came back yesterday unfortunately. It's an SES light coming on for Knock Sensor Ground Low Voltage. I replaced the sensor and harness with Punisher but it is still coming on for some reason. I think it may have something to do with the temperature and the ethanol in the fuel or something. Because these older year model LS F-Bodies weren't tune for the ethanol unlike the 01s and 02s, I THINK. Not sure but I'm still troubleshooting. I need to run the codes again just to make sure.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Maybe he disconnected battery or something is my guess while doing the stat and cleared the codes in the pcm. It takes a few drive cycles once the codes have been cleared if the knock sensor problem is still present to turn the MIL back on.

2 new knock sensors and a knock sensor harness will fix your problem. While you are in there clean the top of the area in front of both knock sensors with brake clean and get to shiny aluminum then take a tube of RTV and on the front side of each knock sensor opening make a happy face about 3/8 of a inch high from the 10'oclock to the 3 oclock position this will divert water around the knock sensor opening and help prevent a reoccurance of the same problem in the future. GM has a TSB on it that describes it in greater detail that I'm sure you can find on google but above is the cliff notes version.
Never disconnected the battery, did all that you suggested while I was in the process. Still have the SES light for Knock Sensor codes. And I cleared the codes right before I tore it down, then when they came back I re-read the codes again after I replaced it all, same codes.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Kissmytush... dont let one A$$ bag full of D!K$, run you away from LS1Tech. There is plenty of good ppl here, and I will help you with as much as i know. Hope to see you around at out local meet soon bro.
Laterz
Yeah if they would quit jacking my work schedule around, and as soon as I get my clutch replaced I'll be out again. If you need an extra set of hands while working on your bird hit me up and if I'm off work I'll come help out.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:24 AM
Banned

A prius!!! Oh no you didnt.... Maybe you are giving that advice because your T/A runs like one.
Here is the thing douche bag, ppl like you have been destroying the ls1tech community and its becoming more of who can be more of a dick than one who can give advice.
If you have nothing helpful to reply, stay the F** out of the convo, and go troll on FB or whatever kindergarden site you all popular in.
Debating and asking questions is all part of the process of learning, things about our rides. I started here as a noob, and now have a decent set up ls1 and going even bigger as we speak.
Do yourself a favor and save yourself from the embarrassment to come. Now
If you think you have something to prove... please fire away.

Laterz
Oh snap your right,I guess I better delete my account and move on.
Even though your boyfriend replaced his KS and harness does not mean you fixed the problem. It is possible the harness was damaged upon reinstalation.
If there was a concern the first time you college graduates would have noticed the ribbing on the bottom of the intake and would have dremeled a path way for the harness to lay so that it is untouched by the intake and tapped the harness down to the valley cover or used foam. That's if yall even replaced the harness. A real mechanic would gotten an OHM meter and checked all possible issues of a cut in the wires or break in the insulation.
As far as the KS it self goes it is possible you redamaged those upon reinstalling as well if you had over tighten them or just that 1 or if you even replaced them at all. As I said and PedatorZ said you could possibly use a tune.
Also did y'all check your grounds when you took off the intake?
If you did, did you scuff them up?
Anyways I'm going back to Facebook now bye.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:01 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mred
Oh snap your right,I guess I better delete my account and move on.
Even though your boyfriend replaced his KS and harness does not mean you fixed the problem. It is possible the harness was damaged upon reinstalation.
If there was a concern the first time you college graduates would have noticed the ribbing on the bottom of the intake and would have dremeled a path way for the harness to lay so that it is untouched by the intake and tapped the harness down to the valley cover or used foam. That's if yall even replaced the harness. A real mechanic would gotten an OHM meter and checked all possible issues of a cut in the wires or break in the insulation.
As far as the KS it self goes it is possible you redamaged those upon reinstalling as well if you had over tighten them or just that 1 or if you even replaced them at all. As I said and PedatorZ said you could possibly use a tune.
Also did y'all check your grounds when you took off the intake?
If you did, did you scuff them up?
Anyways I'm going back to Facebook now bye.

Your right!! he is my lover, but have room to make you my bitch... On a serious note, that explanation of damaging wires is quite possible to be his problem. I know I did that and actually had my tuner delete my knock sensor code until I got it fixed.
Knowledge is all we are seeking here man, not to bash one another.

Quick Reply: Shutting off knock sensors???? Why?