Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 GTO rich idle/ dies with any throttle

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 GTO rich idle/ dies with any throttle

Car has head/cam build recently with what seems a not so good tune. In the beginnings the car wouldn't hold an idle for the life of it. It was throwing a p0101 code. Cleaned the MAF and the KN filter and haven't seen the code since. Also now the car will start and idle very rich with no problem on a cold start. as the engine warms if you hit the throttle and give a little rev to the engine when coming back down to idle it will just die like I turned the key off. After this the car will not hold an idle at all. Very hard to restart and will only run with slight throttle. Ive checked every nook and cranny for a vacuum leak with nothing. As of right now this all the info that I have. I know a log would preferable but I don't have the software for that nor anyone close with hp tuners who can scan it. Any help, guidance, or direction would be very appreciated.

Thank you
Old 12-03-2012, 12:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad MAF possibly? Start the car and let it idle then disconnect MAF and see if the idle changes at all, if not your MAF is bad.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I know a log would preferable but I don't have the software for that nor anyone close with hp tuners who can scan it. Any help, guidance, or direction would be very appreciated.
Without that there is not much we can do to help you. We can tell you to swap out all the parts here and there, but really we're just shooting in the dark and possibly costing you money on parts you don't really need. I don't think that's what you want out of this.

So with that saying, your best bet (unless you really just want to start throwing money at random parts and hoping it fixes things) is to get some sort of scanner on it and do some logs.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:08 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CHADsterss
Bad MAF possibly? Start the car and let it idle then disconnect MAF and see if the idle changes at all, if not your MAF is bad.
I second that opinion/advise. It's free, quick, and easy to try!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 12-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help... I may have a maf issue. I found if I unplug it there is no real change. I also found if unplug the IAC and start I have no issues with idle. I I plug it back in and it still idle fines. If hit the throttle it will hang at 2k rpm then slowly come down to idle. Could all these be related to a bad maf?

Quick Reply: 04 GTO rich idle/ dies with any throttle