Sponsored by:

Katech employee Dan's 729hp (NA) 6.0L drag race engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 08:37 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Not hating and not one upping.
It is a gen 1 that makes the same power and seems to use a similar rpm range and hell probably cost the same despite a plain old Callies magnum crank and Lunati rods instead of Bryant/Carrillo.

I just thought the LS platform with their advanced heads could do better.
It can do much better. It has small port C5-R heads and Kinsler intake because that's what we had. Put the large port on there and it's got a lot more potential. Also they cut the dyno short before it was completely maxed out in timing. There is definitely more in it. They were just conservative and want to get this thing up and running and in the truck.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that really that exciting a number for a dry sump 15:1 LS variant?

A friend has a 23degree pump gas 402 that makes that, sure it has a displacement advantage but it is wet sump, pump gas 23degree all substantial disadvantages.
http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl...g_to_be_small/ won his class on dragweek this year.

I would have expected more from such a max effort build, though I haven't really gotten my hand dirty with the LS yet.

Your attempt at arguing kinda proves the other way around. Ask Jake how 'easy' it would be to make 2hp/c.i.

Thanks for sharing Jason
Old 12-14-2012, 01:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I admitted he got there with a displacement advantage. His makes about 1.8 hp per cube.
Are you arguing that more than 3 points of compression, and 11-degree heads are meaningless for the comparison?
Old 12-15-2012, 09:46 AM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
It can do much better. It has small port C5-R heads and Kinsler intake because that's what we had. Put the large port on there and it's got a lot more potential. Also they cut the dyno short before it was completely maxed out in timing. There is definitely more in it. They were just conservative and want to get this thing up and running and in the truck.
Thanks for sharing Jason. It looks like Dan did a hell of a job. I'm curious what valve sizes Dan used to fit the heads on a 4" bore block.

I admitted he got there with a displacement advantage. His makes about 1.8 hp per cube.
Are you arguing that more than 3 points of compression, and 11-degree heads are meaningless for the comparison?
Let's not forget your buddy used an aftermarket Dart block with BBC cam core and a 4.130" bore. It doesn't say in the article, but I'd bet he is running a lifter much larger than the original .842" Chevy diameter as well. Dan is still using an OEM 6.0L block which really limits the size of the valves and consequently the ports, as well as what you can do with the valvetrain. It is quite an accomplishment to make that kind of power per cubic inch with parts he used. You're just trying to compare apples to oranges.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I know much of what is in Jake's car, not sure on the lifters though.

Still though you are dismissing 15:1 compression and 11degree heads.

730hp is a LOT NA regardless. I just don't see this as spectacular.

I thought the LS variant heads were amazing.................
Old 12-15-2012, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this LS is cool, I just think its really expensive and doesn't run on pump gas....

A more powerful street friendly bbc still wins in this case especially for the $$$

A 700hp pump gas bbc can be bought for $15K.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The engine looks to be crafted out of used parts collected over time, it is running art. Nicely done guys.

Kurt
Old 12-15-2012, 12:54 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

I know much of what is in Jake's car, not sure on the lifters though.

Still though you are dismissing 15:1 compression and 11degree heads.

730hp is a LOT NA regardless. I just don't see this as spectacular.

I thought the LS variant heads were amazing.................
I'm not dismissing anything, my point is that it's not comparable. Both builds make the same power turning the same RPM, just two different ways. The better heads and compression make up for the 40 cubic inch deficit, which at this level, is probably the most substantial single variable.

Regardless, what's so hard about just saying, "hey cool build" and let that be it? What are you trying to prove?
Old 12-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
I think this LS is cool, I just think its really expensive and doesn't run on pump gas....

A more powerful street friendly bbc still wins in this case especially for the $$$

A 700hp pump gas bbc can be bought for $15K.
What does any of this have to do with anything? Seriously, the OP was sharing a build. Why would you compare a std bore 6.0l engine to a BBC anyways? Apples to oranges.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by adamantium
What does any of this have to do with anything? Seriously, the OP was sharing a build. Why would you compare a std bore 6.0l engine to a BBC anyways? Apples to oranges.
Because its not impressive. We all know the LS has huge potential and can make big cube power on small cubes, but when you say it would cost $40K+ to build it, has 15 to 1 compression..etc...You can make those #s out a traditional SBC with that compression and $$. You can buy a used 800hp Nascar engine all day long for $10 grand.

Now if this was a 6.0 that runs on pump gas, was remotely cost effective and made that kind of power? That would be awesome.

But I have seen too many stroked LS3s with a fraction of the money invested making nearly the same power spinning less RPMS and on Pump gas...

To the OP, like I said "Cool LS" because it is...but its not
Old 12-15-2012, 05:54 PM
Banned

Because its not impressive. We all know the LS has huge potential and can make big cube power on small cubes, but when you say it would cost $40K+ to build it, has 15 to 1 compression..etc...You can make those #s out a traditional SBC with that compression and $$. You can buy a used 800hp Nascar engine all day long for $10 grand.

Now if this was a 6.0 that runs on pump gas, was remotely cost effective and made that kind of power? That would be awesome.

But I have seen too many stroked LS3s with a fraction of the money invested making nearly the same power spinning less RPMS and on Pump gas...

To the OP, like I said "Cool LS" because it is...but its not

How is it not impressive when a 6.0L engine is making this sort of power?

Cost aside the motor itself is impressive, might not fit your budget, but it does not make it any less impressive?

Just because it does not fit your budget or doesnt consist of a build that fits YOUR needs or likes, does not make this setup less impressive.

You are aware compression is an aid for displacement correct? Only reason why an LS3 or a BBC or any bigger engine does it on pump gas with less compression is because it HAS displacement. derp.

I can say the same thing about a big block chevy being un-impressive to lets say a UGR lambo setup? See how retarded your agrument is. Its apples to oranges.

Your argument is invalid.

No one is saying the engine is to die for or superior to every other engine out there.

Im personally impressed by the power per liter, 750hp out of a 6.0 is impressive which ever way you cut it.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

How is it not impressive when a 6.0L engine is making this sort of power?

Cost aside the motor itself is impressive, might not fit your budget, but it does not make it any less impressive?

Just because it does not fit your budget or doesnt consist of a build that fits YOUR needs or likes, does not make this setup less impressive.

You are aware compression is an aid for displacement correct? Only reason why an LS3 or a BBC or any bigger engine does it on pump gas with less compression is because it HAS displacement. derp.

I can say the same thing about a big block chevy being un-impressive to lets say a UGR lambo setup? See how retarded your agrument is. Its apples to oranges.

Your argument is invalid.

No one is saying the engine is to die for or superior to every other engine out there.

Im personally impressed by the power per liter, 750hp out of a 6.0 is impressive which ever way you cut it.
I didn't say it wasn't cool...or its too expensive for my budget...I just said there's nothing special about it to be all "awe'd" over. If a $40K engine that makes 2hp/1 cube floats your boat, than so be it. That's not uncommon though with full out race engines.

Like I said, if that feat was done and was street able, ran on pump gas, and was cost effective in comparison to other equal performing engines, I would be impressed. My opinion is a 700 hp drag engine that has 15-1 compression is nothing new or spectacular. A top fuel drag engine makes 16hp per cube and cost $50K...which I'm not using as an equal comparison...just bringing to light what $40K can get you. Alot more than 700hp

Last edited by badazz81z28; 12-15-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:32 PM
Banned

I didn't say it wasn't cool...or its too expensive for my budget...I just said there's nothing special about it to be all "awe'd" over. If a $40K engine that makes 2hp/1 cube floats your boat, than so be it. That's not uncommon though with full out race engines.

Like I said, if that feat was done and was street able, ran on pump gas, and was cost effective in comparison to other equal performing engines, I would be impressed. My opinion is a 700 hp drag engine that has 15-1 compression is nothing new or spectacular. A top fuel drag engine makes 16hp per cube and cost $50K...which I'm not using as an equal comparison...just bringing to light what $40K can get you. Alot more than 700hp
Your not grasping the point of this thread. Plain and simple.

Was OP braging about the power per $ ratio in the original post? No. Was OP braging about it being the most streetable engine out there? No. Was OP comparing it to anything else? No.

He is just sharing his results.

Which IMO is impressive it has more HP per CI and L then most big block setups and bigger displacement setups.

How many 7xx break HP, high reving, small engines have you personally built/tuned? Just curious seems to be an easy feat in your eyes.

Comparing this to a top fuel dragster is just idiotic.

OP is this still a Hydraulic roller setup?

Last edited by adamantium; 12-15-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'd that intake
Old 12-16-2012, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

It is an .842 lifter.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

Your not grasping the point of this thread. Plain and simple.

Was OP braging about the power per $ ratio in the original post? No. Was OP braging about it being the most streetable engine out there? No. Was OP comparing it to anything else? No.

He is just sharing his results.

Which IMO is impressive it has more HP per CI and L then most big block setups and bigger displacement setups.

How many 7xx break HP, high reving, small engines have you personally built/tuned? Just curious seems to be an easy feat in your eyes.

Comparing this to a top fuel dragster is just idiotic.

OP is this still a Hydraulic roller setup?

Thats my point...

What kind of post do you expect in this type of thread? only opinions that this build....

You can be impressed all you want....I just stated MHO. Building an engine is not rocket science....Designing your own heads, cam grind etc and having it perform....that is a challenge.

Last edited by badazz81z28; 12-16-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

This engine was a custom LSM regrind camshaft, solid .937 lifter, 1.7 jesel rocker setup.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm diggin' it! What should have been a happy day for Dan & Jason has somehow turned into an internet doubt-session. Just remind me to never post a thread on my "used parts" build when it happens...
Old 12-17-2012, 07:21 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I probably should have never mentioned the cost to duplicate this engine because we have no intention of doing so. This engine was built with parts we had around the shop. I'm just sharing with the forum because I thought it was interesting. Maybe I should just keep what we do quiet.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:07 AM
LS6
TECH Regular

Impressive build

Quick Reply: Katech employee Dan's 729hp (NA) 6.0L drag race engine