Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston slap - class action

Old 04-14-2004, 04:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Piston slap - class action

Is everyone aware of the piston slap class action law suit against the General? If not, please read the info below.

Since I have seen these things play out before, I don't expect that anyone except lawyers will get rich quick. The settlement is not likely to be monetary (cash). You'll probably get a discount coupon for your next purchase of a new car from the Genreal (UHG!). You might get lucky and avoid having to pay the plantiff's attorney's fees since, for these types of things, the attorneys always negoitiate a cash deal with the defendant that pays their 1/3 portion of any global settlement in cold hard CASH.

So you ask, who makes out here? .....the answer, the attorneys, naturally!!!!

Dear Mr. Bartsch,

Thank you for contacting Green & Jigarjian regarding your issue with General Motors. Green & Jigarjian LLP has filed a lawsuit in California on behalf of owners of General Motors vehicles who purchased or leased a 1999-2003 model with a 3.1, 3.4, 4.8, 5.3, 5.7 (LSI), 6.0, or 8.1 liter engine (includes but is not limited to the following models: Cadillac Escalade, Chevy Camaro, Chevy Corvette, Chevy Silverardo, Chevy Tahoe, Chevy Suburban, GM Denali and Yukon, Oldsmobile Alero, Pontiac Trans Am) and whose vehicles produce "Piston Slap." Piston Slap is a loud knocking noise produced during and shortly after engine start-up caused by the engine pistons knocking against the cylinder walls as a result of excessive clearance between the piston and cylinder wall.
We would like to get more information on your potential case. If you are willing to be more involved or participate as a class representative in your state.

Please respond by email, with the contact information that you would like us to use and details of your issue:

1: Your full name:

2: Mailing address:

3: Phone number:

4: Model and year of your vehicle; 1999 Camaro

5: The type of engine; 5.7 LS1 V-8

6: What type of warranty (is it still under warranty):

7: Date that you purchased your vehicle:

8: A brief description, in your own words of you're the problem you have experienced with your GM vehicle:

9: The dealer where you purchased your vehicle:

10: State whether your car has been service by a mechanic for the piston slap and if you have the service reports:

After we review your information we can discuss your potential case further. If you are willing to submit them, please send them to Green & Jigarjian, LLP, 235 Pine Street, 15th Floor, San Francisco, CA, 94104 or send by facsimile at (415) 477-6710. We will gladly copy them and return your originals. For more information on serving as a class representative or to stay up to date on this case, you may visit our website at www.classcounsel.com or call us toll free at 1-888-610-4768.

Best regards,
Monica Herman
Paralegal
GREEN & JIGARJIAN LLP
Tel: (415) 477-6700
Fax: (415) 477-6710
www.classcounsel.com
Old 04-14-2004, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That could be the lamest thing ever IMO.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98_1LE
That could be the lamest thing ever IMO.

Paul
Old 04-15-2004, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Paul @ Thunder

Paul

I'm with the "stupid" opinion. If you pool all the effort it takes to complete the paperwork, and BELIEVE me, the above is only the beginning, you could build your own shortblock and install it.

Ppppffffttt on this. But thanks to the individual that went to the trouble of finding this "opportunity."

SC-
Old 04-15-2004, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

you all dont think that there could possibly be new ls1's for us that do have the slap? I know its a long shot, but could it happen?
Old 04-15-2004, 02:38 PM
TECH Veteran

New short blocks for those affected plus a 1/3 cash settlement to the plantiff attorneys; this would definately be very long odds in Vegas or Atlantic City.

....call Donald Trump; I'm sure he would take your bet.

I would say a $400 discount coupon for your next purchase of a General Motors car would be the best you could hope for.

Just between you and me, I will never buy another GM car - new or certified pre-owned (used). Trust these monkeys again - no way - I'll buy a rice burner first!
Old 04-15-2004, 05:21 PM
Staging Lane

Angry

I think this is total nonsense to do a class action suit against the General for something that amounts to nothing. This "piston slap" item is only a slight annoyance to "some" people. It does not affect the drivability or performance of this legendary motor. IMO it is TOTAL BULLZHIT and will only line the pockets of greedy lawyers . Class action this, class action that . No offense to anyone personally, unless you are one of these class action lawyers , but those that back this lawyer BS are only feeding right into their greedy hands...They love suckers like y'all.

Just my opinion

Mike
Old 04-15-2004, 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

What kind of problems are caused by this "piston slap"? All I've heard is complaints about it sounding "bad" when you first start the car. What else does it actually do that's bad for your motor? Don't these motors routinely last over 100k miles anyway?

I'm no expert but this sounds like a bunch of baby to me.

I love my ls1
Old 04-15-2004, 05:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
New short blocks for those affected plus a 1/3 cash settlement to the plantiff attorneys; this would definately be very long odds in Vegas or Atlantic City.

....call Donald Trump; I'm sure he would take your bet.

I would say a $400 discount coupon for your next purchase of a General Motors car would be the best you could hope for.

Just between you and me, I will never buy another GM car - new or certified pre-owned (used). Trust these monkeys again - no way - I'll buy a rice burner first!
Old 04-15-2004, 06:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mikie C
I think this is total nonsense to do a class action suit against the General for something that amounts to nothing. This "piston slap" item is only a slight annoyance to "some" people. It does not affect the drivability or performance of this legendary motor. IMO it is TOTAL BULLZHIT and will only line the pockets of greedy lawyers . Class action this, class action that . No offense to anyone personally, unless you are one of these class action lawyers , but those that back this lawyer BS are only feeding right into their greedy hands...They love suckers like y'all.

Just my opinion

Mike
That is BS.

I have seen pictures of the damaged cylinder walls, and other internal components resulting from LS1 piston slap. If it's nothing more than an annoyance, then why was I losing 1 1/4 quarts of oil in 1,400 miles, had valve clatter like crazy AND they still have my engine torn apart replacing things? Seems a little more than an annoyance to me. I would love to have a new engine, but I will be happy if they just get it fixed. It's not costing me anything plus I have a Dodge 4x4 to cruise in!!
Old 04-15-2004, 06:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01whitez28
What kind of problems are caused by this "piston slap"? All I've heard is complaints about it sounding "bad" when you first start the car. What else does it actually do that's bad for your motor? Don't these motors routinely last over 100k miles anyway?

I'm no expert but this sounds like a bunch of baby to me.

I love my ls1
If you search the web, you'll see pictures of egg-shaped and scraped cylinder walls, among other things. Mine is being rebuilt now and thankfully there wasn't too much damage yet.
Old 04-15-2004, 06:30 PM
Launching!

Also when they are finished with the work and the engine is broken in, I plan to dyno tune again. I will start out with the factory PCM program and compare from before, then I'll tune her with Predator. I'll compare the before and after repair numbers and see how "inconvenient" it was to have that going on.

BTW, photos and other info can be found here, among other places:

http://www.pistonslap.com/photos.htm
Old 04-15-2004, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think this "opportunity" is a situation where one means to take advantage of another, despite a lack of obligation. Some people basically want a new motor, even though their current one has not failed, and many of you (and me) have modded our cars well past warranty and raced them as well.

For the record, my T/A has 34K miles, and is 29 months old. Technically it is under factory warranty. I spun a rod bearing road racing a few weeks ago, and despite the suggestion of a couple people, decided to build a new motor at my expense. Why, because racing is specifically excluded. Take responsibility for what you do.

Sorry if I offend anyone, but this is what I beleive.

Last edited by 98_1LE; 04-15-2004 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98_1LE
I don't think this "opportunity" is a situation where one means to take advantage of another, despite a lack of obligation. Some people basically want a new motor, even though their current one has not failed, and many of you (and me) have modded our cars well past warranty and raced them as well.

For the record, my T/A has 34K miles, and is 29 months old. Technically it is under factory warranty. I spun a rod bearing road racing a few weeks ago, and despite the suggestion of a couple people, decided to build a new motor at my expense. Why, because racing is specifically excluded. Take responsibility for what you do.

Sorry if I offend anyone, but this is what I beleive.
for doing the right thing
Old 04-15-2004, 09:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I haven't raced other than the stop light to stop light. ( I race more in my Saturn....lol) My Car Made that noise off the show room floor. Granted, It hasn't gotting worse, much. But Right is Right and Wrong is Wrong. Who would buy a motor that knocks? DUH! And What Cheat would not reconize and admit to the problem. But the allmighty dollor rules what is right(warrenty it) and what is wrong(It's Normal.) I'm a master tech and you wouldn't believe the crap the dealers/manufacturers dish out. And they do because is cost money to fight them and they know it's cheaper for you not to.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:05 PM
Launching!

First of all, the warranty can say what it wants, but it's a defect GM has already admitted to and has a service bulletin for. Secondly, if you actually believe they will build a 345 HP engine an expect people not to race them once in a while, that is very unrealistic. Third, my car is NOT modded (yet ) and this issue with losing 1 1/4 quarts in 1,400 miles, piston slap, rocker arm noise, bad ring install, etc... has been in my car since the day I bought it. Will I have them fix it under warranty? You DAMN SKIPPY I AM!!

I won't be part of a lawsuit and I will not try to get another engine. Would I like a new engine? Hell yes!!! Will I take one if they offer it? Double Hell yes!! All I asked them to do, and all they ARE doing, is fixing an issue that they ADMIT is wrong with the car. If someone's car is under warranty and they want to spend money fixing it, that's their choice and loss of money. I prefer to exercise my rights under my original warranty AND the extended warranty I paid an extra $1,500 for. Not to mention I paid $27,210 for this car last spring in CASH (actually gov't check...but still...) You think I'm paying for my own repairs when it's their materials and workmanship causing the problem and I'm still under warranty? bahahahahahaha

I paid good money upfront for a quality car, and by golly I will GET a quality car!!
Old 04-15-2004, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Where's the service bulletin?
I would like to read that. Curious in GM's words what it says.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you haven't voided your warranty and the motor is using excessive oil and/or has a hard failure, I am sure GM will replace it. A class action lawsuit is not required for that. If my car fit that definition, I would have had it towed to the dealer where I bought it. Instead I am spending a bunch of money to build the motor GM didn't have the nerve to.

And I for one am thankful that GM built and sold a high hp car, and sold it to me cheaply. You have to wonder if racing and mod related warranty claims didn't help with the decision to stop building these cars.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by The Kiss Guy
If you search the web, you'll see pictures of egg-shaped and scraped cylinder walls, among other things. Mine is being rebuilt now and thankfully there wasn't too much damage yet.
I guess my ignorance shines through again

My car does seem to use a lot of oil. I usually get a low oil light between each oil change

But I've heard that's fairly normal for the ls1.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by XtinctHawk02
Where's the service bulletin?
I would like to read that. Curious in GM's words what it says.
It's on the Firehawk site, dude somewhere. It's in other places too. I think the Firehawk site has it linked to GM's site.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Piston slap - class action