Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil usage

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 07:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaroo1
No sludge in this motor, Its clean like new. It sounds terrible, it rattles ar a idle, the pistons never quiet down. I just gonna get rid of it. NO MORE LS gm **** for me. I had enough.

GM if you ever read this thread...you are a bunch of dumb azzes. I do beileve its time for a nice Mustang GT.
Your comments make me laugh. You buy a used car an bash General Motors because it uses oil. There are a number of reasons this could be happening. The LS series engines are a proven platform for performance. I bought a bad one too this past spring. Idiot didn't have the car tuned correctly and it ran extremely rich ruining the rings. I hardly blame GM for it.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the pcv valve gm had so many complaints and came up with a different one witch is supposed to help. I just bought a used ss with 99 k sucking alot of oil also. I am trying to get new pcv valve no auto store has. I know ws6;store has it. My car had the old one i hope new one helps. I believe it is for truck just goggle ls1 pcv replacement. Gl
Old 12-27-2012, 08:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by td1168
Your comments make me laugh. You buy a used car an bash General Motors because it uses oil. There are a number of reasons this could be happening. The LS series engines are a proven platform for performance. I bought a bad one too this past spring. Idiot didn't have the car tuned correctly and it ran extremely rich ruining the rings. I hardly blame GM for it.
This car is COMPLETELY stock! owned by people who just drove it WITHOUT ******* with it. There is NO good reason it should be in this condition other than very poor quality from GM. UNLIKE your car that has bad rings this does not...the rings are good. THE PISTONs are too loose in the bores! CAN"T YOU READ????

Hmmm lets see how many threads I can find about oil usage....TOO MANY!

You make me laugh!
Old 12-27-2012, 08:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
Previous owner wasn't very nice to it then...
LOL previous owners had all the service records ...this thing was babied! Even had mud flaps installed on it!
Attached Thumbnails Oil usage-p1010057rs.jpg   Oil usage-p1010049rs.jpg  
Old 12-27-2012, 10:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hell 87K miles on a 12 year old car it might have run on stale gas most of the time since it wasn't driven. Stale gas can detonate, detonation can crack pistons. Just one example of how a "babied" car can actually have a hard life.
Hell stale fuel could varnish an injector and make for one lean cylinder that destroys itself, could varnish the filter up and lower fuel pressure and go lean under hard throttle.

Far as the quality of the LS1, the old gen 1 SBC was THE standard for racing cars and trucks, I/O boats, swaps into every other conceivable car etc. Everyone thought GM was nuts when they stayed single cam pushrod, but the LS series of engines is just as popular as the old gen 1s it is so heavily supported by the aftermarket.

The Furd motors didn't really make that much power, the Mustangs have just been light enough for the power they did make.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea I agree with caprice, service records ain't **** that just means they were dumb enough to let other people service their car...if you don't use stabil or some kind of treatment it's hard in fuel system...
If you can move pistons in the bore obviously the rings or the cylinder walls are no good...time for a rebuild or sell it like you said...
Old 12-27-2012, 11:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

No sludge in this motor, Its clean like new. It sounds terrible, it rattles ar a idle, the pistons never quiet down. I just gonna get rid of it. NO MORE LS gm **** for me. I had enough.

GM if you ever read this thread...you are a bunch of dumb azzes. I do beileve its time for a nice Mustang GT.

Good riddance.

Sounds like you need to buy a Honda.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Its sucked 1/2 qt in 50 miles driving WOT off and on.....why would I make that up???? WTH? A car in this good of condition that was well cared for by 2 owners shouldn't sound like diesel engine when its completely warmed up. Its poor quality control on Gms part, If you heard how bad it slaps you'd ****. I kid you not it sounds EXACTLY my nieghbors diesel truck even at full operating temp. The inside of the engine is clean as new and so is the coolant. It was well taken care of.

GM used cheap pistons along with poor assembly sizing to turn what could have been a legendary engine into SMOKING, CLINKING, CLATTERING pile of monkey spunk!

Sad part of this is a properly assembled LS1 engine will run hard a very long time.....but you gotta find a properly assembled engine 1st!
No one is saying your LS1 Motor doesn't have issues, but tossing it in the trash for something else just doesn't make sense, fix it or get someone to fix it for you, other brands have their problems, LS based motors are at the top of the food chain IMO and I built and raced Fords for years, still have a Mustang. (Yes, it's getting an LS1.)
Old 12-27-2012, 07:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 911 Likes on 651 Posts

Get rid of it, move on and quit your bitchin.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Iv had 3 ls1 cars and they all were pretty damn good imo but hey...
trolls gonna troll
Old 12-27-2012, 08:27 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

You're posting about an engine that obviously has something wrong with it-regardless what service records and little old lady drove it on Sunday's to Bingo. As posted above, this is a place to discuss the repairs, maintenance and hotrodding of these cars-yet you've mentioned nothing relating to fixing the problem.

You've only seemed to bash GM and the LS engine. Is this your sole intention or do you seek actual, educated adult advice?

While the vast majority of LS engined car's owners don't have these problems, yes, there can be the exception.

My car has well over 100K on the clock, it's been beaten by previous owners as well as I and I consider one quart down at 3,000 miles pretty typical.

I am curious sir, as you have all the service details from previous owners, what brand oil and oil filters were used in this car?

If you're intentions here are to bash GM and you have no plans to do any repairs or at least trouble shoot what's wrong, what are you accomplishing by posting here?

Please, by all means, purchase a different car, Ford, Subaru, whatever you fancy and be done with it all.

Best of luck to you!
Old 12-27-2012, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just got an ls1 in a 2000 z28. I have major piston slap that is pretty loud to say the least. Yes it uses oil too. I tore it down because it sounded like a rod was toast. But i find that all rod bearrings look really good after 118k. I have not found the source of the noise yet, but i believe it to be piston slap. It was loud at startup and the noise was half as loud when warm, but noise was still there. And it is FU@KING ANNOYING!!!! now here is what i am going to do and i would suggest u do the same...WORK ON THE ******* THING AND STOP BITCHING ABOUT IT AND WASTING EVERYONES TIME!!!!! i certainly am not going to blame GM about mechanical problems. Buy a honda with an F'N warranty and get the F off this board. I believe this guy is a TROLL and i will waste no more time on u. I vote that this guy get to the point of how to fix this problem or be BANNED!!!!
Old 12-28-2012, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same exact problem with my old engine... I thought it was the PCV system the entire time, turned out it was blowby due to bad piston rings.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

I think I'm gonna go buy an LS car that sounds like my neighbors diesel! And then I'm gonna bitch about it!!
Old 12-28-2012, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

guy says its been well taken care of but its knocking... because you cant diagnose the problem your all mad and have to blame somebody other then yourself so why not GM? you shouldnt even own a car.. you sir are a ****** thats all
Old 12-28-2012, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

whats funny about all this is he says it sounds like this and that YET he still bought it.... LOL

thats the first problem

Quick Reply: Oil usage