Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Octane enhancement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 02:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Rod
Look at your own article that you posted.

recommends Iso Octane blended with 20% toluene.

Toluene has a RON octane rating of 121 and a MON rating of 107, leading to a (R+M)/2 rating of 114. (R+M)/2 is how ordinary fuels are rated in the US. Note that toluene has a sensitivity rating of 121-107=14. This compares favorably with alcohols which have sensitivities in the 20-30 range. The more sensitive a fuel is the more its performance degrades under load. Toluene's low sensitivity means that it is an excellent fuel for a heavily loaded engine.

Toluene is denser than ordinary gasoline (0.87 g/mL vs. 0.72-0.74) and contains more energy per unit volume. Thus combustion of toluene leads to more energy being liberated and thus more power generated. This is in contrast to oxygenated octane boosters like ethanol or MTBE which contain less energy per unit volume compared to gasoline. The higher heating value of toluene also means that the exhaust gases contain more kinetic energy, which in turn means that there is more energy to drive turbocharger vanes. In practical terms this is experienced as a faster onset of turbo boost.
I have to disagree somewhat here. Yes toluene is denser but 2 things:
1. If it generates more heat then there is more chance for detonation.
2. Although denser, it needs more oxygen to achieve the power. the ECU will cut back on the fuel through the oxygen sensors if a rich condition is present there fore cutting back on the power. In open loop (WOT), the only adavantage is the fuels resistance to detonation so the ECU will not give any knock retard. Higher octanes do not give more power unless full advantage of the timing is taken into effect. that takes programming of the ECU.
Alcohols have excellent properties as well as disadvantages. They can corrode fuel lines (already stated) and they are not very dense but...
they are oxygenated and they have great heats of vaporization (cooling effect). I know everyone has had rubbing alcohol on their skin and has felt the cooling effect given by the alcohol.
Chris
Old 04-15-2004, 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=J-Rod]I don't agree with using airplane fuel either, just citing the known spec on it. In a carb'd application it can lead to Vapor locking from the fact that it has a low Reid Vapor Pressure. In FI cars it is not an issue since the lines are pressurized, vapor lock is never an issue. Also the fact that most aviation fuel is still leaded means dead 02s in a very short period.
QUOTE]
Not only that but there are alot of different "airplane" fuels. Our company Lear jet runs off of a cleaner grade kerosene. I certainly wouldn't add that to my fuel.
Chris
Old 04-15-2004, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another point to add to sawedoff's post.

If you added that large of an oxygenate to your fuel, you would definitely need to re-tune. Especially since, unlike dry nitrous oxide, the MAF has no way of detecting the increase.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn, we've actually had an interesting conversation on here.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

has any one heard of proplyen oxide? I use to run it in my drag bike
Old 04-15-2004, 03:10 PM
Launching!

Default Propylene oxide

its 1,2 epoxy propane....it will give you cancer by the way and its a very unstable compound that easily forms peroxides. It can blow up in you tank!!under the right conditions. PS. Sigma Aldrich sells iso octane in 4 liter bottles...not very expensive, if you have access.

Ricker
Old 04-15-2004, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by DenzSS
Another point to add to sawedoff's post.

If you added that large of an oxygenate to your fuel, you would definitely need to re-tune. Especially since, unlike dry nitrous oxide, the MAF has no way of detecting the increase.
Agreed, and people really should tune anyway in order to fully reap the benefits of this stuff. Your 02 sensors should handle some of it, but the stock setting will keep you at 14.7:1, and that's too lean for alot of things. So you'd want to do your own independent tuning. Pay attention to your exhaust gas temperatures when you tune. Make sure your injectors flow the same from injector to injector by having them blueprinted.
Old 04-15-2004, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by ricker6869
its 1,2 epoxy propane....it will give you cancer by the way and its a very unstable compound that easily forms peroxides. It can blow up in you tank!!under the right conditions. PS. Sigma Aldrich sells iso octane in 4 liter bottles...not very expensive, if you have access.

Ricker
Every chemical in this discussion that ya'll are talking about is. What do you think's in pump gas?
Old 04-15-2004, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ricker6869

Ricker
no its called propylene oxide you mix it 10 to 15%, bad stuff needs to be kept cool but makes tons of HP and will pass any fuel check
Old 04-15-2004, 07:59 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

P.O. Will not pass an NHRA fuel check, or most of the other sanctioning bodies checks using cyclohexane as a reference in the dielectric check.

Oxygenated compounds work fine in FI cars. Many of the better unleaded race fuels are oxygenated in fact. The mix ratios for aftermarket oxygenates are about 4 oz per gallon (128 oz). It doesn't require a re-tune, the 02s will compensate just fine. You're not talking about tons of HP either, on the order of 5 HP or less from what I've seen going from oxgenated fuel to non-oxygenated fuel. But in some class based racing (like some stock classes, every little bit helps)

I know guys who can custom blend any fuel you want, with whatever you want in it, to meet the rules of any fuel check out there. P.O. and many of the other additives are pretty low tech, but no doubt they work in certain circumstances.

There are all sorts of compounds that folks have played withover the years like nitro based compounds, mono-hydrazine, p.o., and a host of others.

If you want to impress me, figure out how to mix hydrogen peroxide (h2o2) with gas as an oxidizer, and keep it stable.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by J-Rod

If you want to impress me, figure out how to mix hydrogen peroxide (h2o2) with gas as an oxidizer, and keep it stable.
Are you trying to go to the moon, or plan on delivering a nuclear payload via express rocket to some part of the middle east? A solid fuel booster may be what you need.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:13 PM
Teching In

Default Just 2 more cents

Good day gentlemen,
I'm new to the board, and certainly not a chemist by any stretch. But I can speak from personal experience on the Toluene/Xylene topic. I have an 87 GN and typically I'm limited to around 15 to 16 pounds of boost with 93 octane pump gas and about 20 degrees of timing. Running 1 gallon of xylene with 3 gallons of 93 pump gas allows me to run about 20 pounds of boost at the same timing level. I would always add about 1 or 2 ozs of dexron in with the xylene for lube qualities. To gain 4 pounds of boost in a Turbo Buick equates to around 40 horsepower. I don't buy it much anymore because I have a progressive alcohol injection system now, (26 PSI of boost with no KR, how fun is that!), but anyway for the 2 or so years I used it everything went well. Just thought I'd chime in. - Tom
Old 07-06-2004, 10:46 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Termin8r
Good day gentlemen,
I'm new to the board, and certainly not a chemist by any stretch. But I can speak from personal experience on the Toluene/Xylene topic. I have an 87 GN and typically I'm limited to around 15 to 16 pounds of boost with 93 octane pump gas and about 20 degrees of timing. Running 1 gallon of xylene with 3 gallons of 93 pump gas allows me to run about 20 pounds of boost at the same timing level. I would always add about 1 or 2 ozs of dexron in with the xylene for lube qualities. To gain 4 pounds of boost in a Turbo Buick equates to around 40 horsepower. I don't buy it much anymore because I have a progressive alcohol injection system now, (26 PSI of boost with no KR, how fun is that!), but anyway for the 2 or so years I used it everything went well. Just thought I'd chime in. - Tom
I've got a GN to. My dad and my grandfather both worked in the lab of a rather large refinery, so I was around fuel blending and testing for a large portion of my life.. Another one of the turbobuick members who has tested this extensively works for a lab @ one of the local refineries currently and he and I have argued this before also. I was a bit skeptical of it, but he had done testing on it, and many folks have done real world testing...

Quick Reply: Octane enhancement?