Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anything else needed for cam/head swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 07:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anything else needed for cam/head swap

im planning on getting 243 heads, custom cam, new pushrods, lifters, springs,double roller timing set and slp oil pump, but im not sure if i need new rockers or just reuse the stock ones. and is there anything special that i would need to get or do to run the 243s, Im new to cam and head stuff so any info would be appreciated
Old 01-02-2013, 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Head bolts, gaskets, trunion upgrade for the factory rockers.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:51 PM
12 Second Club

which head gaskets the mls ones and what would be a good recommended spring set
Old 01-02-2013, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Brian tooley springs for $219
Head gasket is cr dependant
Old 01-02-2013, 09:05 PM
10 Second Club

Head gaskets are PTV dependant; then your "wanted" CR comes into play. Not trying to one up Tainted, but thats how you should look at it.

Which 243 heads are you trying to go with? Are you planning on CNC, Milled, etc

I would have Martin @ Tick Performance spec you a cam. He's very knowledgable.

What intake setup do you have now?

LS7 lifters are a nice upgrade. JP double roller with the torrington bearing, SLP oil pump like you mentioned. Measure for push rod length. Maybe some injectors.

Front timing cover seal. Front cover gasket. Speacial Kent Moore tool to take of the lower crank sprocket and the tool to install one. A 3 arm puller for the balancer. Torque wrench. Exhaust gasket. Head bolts. Water pump gaskets. And quite a few more odd and end things...

Follow the LS1HowTo.com writeup. It comes in handy.

A few of the reccomendations that your asking for will require more information from you. I.E. Budget, Power goals, and so forth....

Good Luck with your build. There is plenty of knowledge to be had from these guys.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm going to suggest the BTR SLR lifters ($199), that way you know all your lifters have virtually the same bleed down rate. You won't get that with the LS7 lifters.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by FEAR LS
Head gaskets are PTV dependant; then your "wanted" CR comes into play. Not trying to one up Tainted, but thats how you should look at it.

Which 243 heads are you trying to go with? Are you planning on CNC, Milled, etc

I would have Martin @ Tick Performance spec you a cam. He's very knowledgable.

What intake setup do you have now?

LS7 lifters are a nice upgrade. JP double roller with the torrington bearing, SLP oil pump like you mentioned. Measure for push rod length. Maybe some injectors.

Front timing cover seal. Front cover gasket. Speacial Kent Moore tool to take of the lower crank sprocket and the tool to install one. A 3 arm puller for the balancer. Torque wrench. Exhaust gasket. Head bolts. Water pump gaskets. And quite a few more odd and end things...

Follow the LS1HowTo.com writeup. It comes in handy.

A few of the reccomendations that your asking for will require more information from you. I.E. Budget, Power goals, and so forth....

Good Luck with your build. There is plenty of knowledge to be had from these guys.
the 243 heads im trying to get are stock ls6 heads, cant realy afford cnc but would be nice, and what is ptv dependant and cr dependant, im trying to get around 400rwhp, i have 327rwhp right now and that was before the headers, im trying to get a decent pair of budget heads and seems like 243s are the way to go, then again i dont know alot about heads and cam, im still doing my research and learning.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cr is compression ratio, ptv is piston to valve clearance.

If the heads are milled, that brings up your compression, but reduces ptv clearance. Ideally you want to mill according to your ptv clearance and chose a headgasket to dial in your quench and compression.

The 243 heads are a great budget option for you, but id mill them down some and get a cam that you know will work with your ptv.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:35 PM
10 Second Club

+1 on what Tainted said...

If you don't have the money to mill your heads.. I would either, One: Use a .040" gasket to tighten the quench and bump up your compression ratio. Or Two: Look into getting a set of 5.3L heads. It's all dependent on your budget and future upgrades.

400 is a very realistic goal for whichever option you choose. They're cam only cars pushing that much to the wheels. So heads and cam should get you there no problem.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tainted
Cr is compression ratio, ptv is piston to valve clearance.

If the heads are milled, that brings up your compression, but reduces ptv clearance. Ideally you want to mill according to your ptv clearance and chose a headgasket to dial in your quench and compression.

The 243 heads are a great budget option for you, but id mill them down some and get a cam that you know will work with your ptv.
what would be a good measurement to mill down the 243 heads, and im guessing i would need shorter pushrods then, it sounds like i should get the heads first, maybe mill them down then get a cam
Old 01-03-2013, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by F[U
[/U]ormulaTA327;17028036]what would be a good measurement to mill down the 243 heads, and im guessing i would need shorter pushrods then, it sounds like i should get the heads first, maybe mill them down then get a cam
Pick your cam, measure your ptv clearance and mill accordingly. Aftermarket heads usually have a smaller base circle so you need longer pushrods, but milling will compensate some so you never know, thats why we check.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tainted
Pick your cam, measure your ptv clearance and mill accordingly. Aftermarket heads usually have a smaller base circle so you need longer pushrods, but milling will compensate some so you never know, thats why we check.
Exactly.. Send Martin@Tick a PM and tell him your goals and what your trying to get (I.E 243's), and budget..etc See what he has to say.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I'm going to suggest the BTR SLR lifters ($199), that way you know all your lifters have virtually the same bleed down rate. You won't get that with the LS7 lifters.
where can i find the btr slr lifters and i think i might say **** it and save for these heads http://www.totalengineairflow.com/pr...ylinder-heads/.... let me know what you think of these
Old 01-04-2013, 03:52 PM
12 Second Club

or these heads http://www.texas-speed.com/p-2121-af...mber-bare.aspx.... wonder why these heads are cheaper, is trick flow heads supposed to be better or something
Old 01-04-2013, 06:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FormulaTA327
where can i find the btr slr lifters and i think i might say **** it and save for these heads http://www.totalengineairflow.com/pr...ylinder-heads/.... let me know what you think of these
Brian Tooley Racing has them.

Quick Reply: Anything else needed for cam/head swap