Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water in oil pan and oil in exhaust after 5 year nap

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 11:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nah not yet. i saved all the info. i'm not spending anymore time on it till i figure out if the engine can run for 20 minutes without spining a bearing or something else catostrophic my buddy gave me a good motor to use. its for a different car/tank, but for fuel injec. sys. i have it hooked up to the old sending unit just upper half, hose clamp around motor and a "chicken wire" system holding it in place with gas line running down to the botton of the tank. Wires from battery charger directly to pump. charger set on 2 amp 12 volt. i flushed out injector rails and cranked it for a couple seconds with coils unhooked. everything sounded normal and "even" we'll see tomorrow night............................................. .................................................. ..
Old 01-09-2013, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like a car BBQ and garage-house fire just waiting to happen, just because it is a fuel injection pump out of who knows what and where does not mean it will work, different pumps have different pressure values.

Some pumps push fuel and some pumps pull fuel, and with all your battery charger to pump connections all you need is one connection to come loose and create a spark and with all the fumes and gasoline there you will have a instant fire ball. You might want to rethink your approach and do this right, instead of cheaping out and getting yourself hurt and burning down the car and house.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

Any updates. You aren't in the burn unit are you?
Old 01-09-2013, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

well the car ran for about 2 minutes before i shut it off. everything seemed right, and it was too late as it was so after i drained the oil i left it alone. too early to tell, but all seemed well tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!

i did notice that upon start-up, it held a steady 65-70 oil pressure. now the car was sitting outside for 2 days, and i had to keep the rpms up to about 1500 since the computer is still trying to figure out the idle. don't know if this pressure is too high and an indication of rust in the bearings?????? but motor sounded good and healthy till i shut it down.

the fuel pump motor i have slides tightly into the upper sending unit but is too long to install the lower half. and trust me the jumper wires were tied into the stock type connector and ran 20 feet to the battery charger in the garage. i did that right cause i may hook up my own relay and fuse to drive the car i dont want to blow up.

tomorrow i will try to get the fuel pump power problem figured out. i'm also ordering a pump from racetronix.

thanks again for the info!
Old 01-09-2013, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

also, not one metal shaving on the drain plug. it sat for about ten minutes before i drained it. i tried letting the oil hit it the whole time it drained
Old 01-09-2013, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's awesome. Glad to hear it went well.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

http://mail.aol.com/37276-111/aol-6/...Inbox&partId=1
Old 01-09-2013, 11:25 PM
Staging Lane

i tried uploading a pic above. this is what the "substance" looks like dripping out of the exhaust. also the back of my intake seems to have an oily residue all over it. this may have been the "wetness" i seen before i even started it.

any ideas? oil drained from car looked fine. coolant still topped off.

if the pic i uploaded cant be viewed, please tell me how to properly upload it.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Staging Lane

ok, so i got the fuel pump issues figured out and purchased a whole assembly for 75 from a junkyard.

had the car runnin today, got a total of about 45 minutes run time on it, but i got a lifter that just refuses to pump up. looks like i'll be pulling the intake.

only other problem is it seems the alternator is overcharging the battery. gauge is reading about 15-16 volts.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

If your swapping a lifter your pulling the heads not just the intake. Where in pa are ya?
Old 01-12-2013, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

yeah the heads are coming of it just seems the intake is the biggest pain in the *** plus my hands are all cut up from work n the camaro lol im down in levittown but im gonna try a couple additives seafoam n whatnot after i take the valve covers off an see if i can work the lifter with a screwdriver
Old 01-13-2013, 06:55 AM
Staging Lane

nice to see your lsx come back to life ,
Old 01-13-2013, 08:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I once had a cracked pcv line at the back of my intake and I couldnt see it.Had me pulling my hair out wondering where this oily residue was coming from.

You can try some additives to free up any sludge in the motor that might free up a sticking lifter and change the oil again a second time. Seafoam has worked well for me in the past but untill you start driving the car around and get it in an open area..I dont suggest doing it at a house.Neighbors get freaked out and fire dept shows up for nothing if its really dirty int the motor..lots of smoke to be had.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

ive heard some good stuff about seafoam, i think i'm gonna give it a try.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Seafoam is good stuff. You can use 1/2 can in the engine oil and let it run for a while. With any luck it will break the varnish up in the lifter allowing it to pump back up. I would definitely try something a long those lines before you take the heads off.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:51 PM
Teching In

Be careful with breaking up sludge because if your pickup tube picks up a large piece of sludge it could starve the engine of oil. Seafoam works well but maybe you should pull the valve covers to see what's under there first.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mlmedina26
Be careful with breaking up sludge because if your pickup tube picks up a large piece of sludge it could starve the engine of oil. Seafoam works well but maybe you should pull the valve covers to see what's under there first.

Very good point. I had thought that but forgot to type it.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

at this point, motor has ran for an hour n a half total. so far, no major problems.
some minor issues are popping up, but no rod knock yet.

hopefully it stays this way

thanks for all the advice and i'll keep this thread up to date if anything pops up.

Quick Reply: Water in oil pan and oil in exhaust after 5 year nap