Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 07:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was all set to go with the 235/243 111+3 however it has lsk intake lobes(lsl exhaust) and i hear they are horrible on springs but i think that the area i want to be in size wise!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 6togo
I was looking at the Ms4,Polluter,G5X3,Trex and a few others i know they will sound great but dont really know if they will make the same or more power than a smaller profile?
out of thouse Trex wil make the most hp and tq, sure you noticed the many random setups over the last 10years of it making 430-445 whp and a few 395-409 wtq. I few did 40x wtq (did in my car too) good bolt ons stock head LS1s. I did a thread "cam only setups making 400wtq" checvk that out. The others listed max 410-425whp and 385-395wtq.
also check out the steetsweeper cam 236/240, I loved that cam. Alot of guys that ran it do to. Drives great and I made 425/393

a good tune is a must, see what yout tuner likes. Theres a Lot of good cams out there, a poor tune wlil make any of them suck

Last edited by studderin; 01-22-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:45 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by studderin
out of thouse Trex wil make the most hp and tq, sure you noticed the many random setups over the last 10years of it making 430-445 whp and a few 395-409 wtq. I few did 40x wtq (did in my car too) good bolt ons stock head LS1s. I did a thread "cam only setups making 400wtq" checvk that out. The others listed max 410-425whp and 385-395wtq.
also check out the steetsweeper cam 236/240, I loved that cam. Alot of guys that ran it do to. Drives great and I made 425/393

a good tune is a must, see what yout tuner likes. Theres a Lot of good cams out there, a poor tune wlil make any of them suck
You consider a car with a Fast intake "cam-only"? If so, the Polluter V.1 has made 450rwhp+ and 400rwtq+ with a Fast intake. Anyways it's just some internet moniker that doesn't mean anything really lol, but just to compare apples to apples, if yours had a fast, compare it to set-ups that have Fast intakes as I would think that would make it a fair comparison.

I would also expect the T-Rex to make the highest numbers out of those as it's simply the biggest and has the most overlap. Not hating or attacking, just commenting.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone run the LG G5x4 what's that In line with size wise? I guess I might have to go the custom route to get the cam I want to find the happy in between.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I was all set to go with the 235/243 111+3 however it has lsk intake lobes(lsl exhaust) and i hear they are horrible on springs but i think that the area i want to be in size wise!
Talk to Martin he has a cam that should be a perfect solution to that issue.
http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...1-ls6-engines/
Old 01-22-2013, 04:21 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Talk to Martin he has a cam that should be a perfect solution to that issue.
http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...1-ls6-engines/
The milder lobes even though they are milder, make damn good power and are very easy on springs. Even though we don't sell beehives and even though I really don't like them much, you could run the milder lobes with beehive springs if you're using stock rockers and stock or stock like weight valves.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:58 PM
TECH Resident

I dont want the mildest lobes out there just not the LSK's known to be the worst from what i read. And like i said probably be using PRC 227's with SS valves. Got any sound clips of the SNS 3 cam and maybe a dyno graph overlay of the Polluter and SNS3 cams?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:11 PM
FormerVendor

I dont want the mildest lobes I out there just not the LSK's known to be the worst from what i read. And like i said probably be using PRC 227's with SS valves. Got any sound clips of the SNS 3 cam and maybe a dyno graph overlay of the Polluter and SNS3 cams?
The mild lobes are far from the mildest out there, but unfortunately I dont have a sns stage 3 on our win pep software here at the shop so no overlays could be done until I get some data from our dyno on that cam. I'll see if I can get a customer to make a sound clip, but I have very few of those grinds running around currently. I can say this, but you might not believe it, the SNS stage 3 will sound identical to the polluter v.2 because they both have 17 degrees overlap.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

So would it be worth wild doing a custom or you feel the SNS3 will get it done? How much difference is there going to be between the polluter V2 and the SNS 3 on identical builds?
Old 01-22-2013, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

So would it be worth wild doing a custom or you feel the SNS3 will get it done? How much difference is there going to be between the polluter V2 and the SNS 3 on identical builds?
This!
Old 01-23-2013, 07:22 AM
FormerVendor

Even though they have the same amount of overlap, the power curve between the two will be slightly different. The SNS will make a higher peak torque number due to the overlap and later exhaust valve opening event, and the V.2 will make a higher peak horsepower number due to it's earlier opening exhaust valve event and a slightly flatter torque curve. The SNS is meant for one thing, and that's peak torque and under the curve torque. Torque=HP so it's only natural that if you make the torque, the horsepower will follow. The SNS will also peak earlier in regards to horsepower and torque due to it's earlier closing intake valve event and smaller duration.

They are both great cams that I think you will really enjoy either way you go. Since you have a 4000rpm stall, any power gains under that rpm will be pointless, because at WOT you will never see that RPM. I think the V.2 is your huckleberry. Just keep in mind with the V.2 or the SNS Stage 3 if you go to an aftermarket head with larger than stock valves, or with milled heads you will need to fly-cut your pistons. I believe TSP sinks their valves in the seat a little more for some added P to V so you could run their heads in that regards and gain some P to V with added compression or larger valves, or you could go to a PRC 227 or TEA TFS head that has a 13.5* valve angle so you can retain stock P to V with a larger intake valve and added compression. If you got an aftermarket casting that is cast with a 64cc chamber you'll gain compression and valve area while keeping stock P to V so that's something to think about in your build preparation.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:00 AM
TECH Resident

But you did not answer the main question as to doing a custom or shelf cam? Just wondering if any tweaking can be done on a custom to optimize things? How much better will the drivability be on the SNS vs the Polluter I know the V2 thread you said it was decent at 1600rpm?
Old 01-23-2013, 01:13 PM
FormerVendor

But you did not answer the main question as to doing a custom or shelf cam? Just wondering if any tweaking can be done on a custom to optimize things? How much better will the drivability be on the SNS vs the Polluter I know the V2 thread you said it was decent at 1600rpm?
There is no difference between a custom cam and an off the shelf cam as long as they are right for the application. I created our Elite Series of camshafts to be cheaper than a custom cam, and I designed/created as many as I possibly could without going overboard just so there would be one for almost every situation possible. I did this to save the customer some change. Now, is 20 bucks that big of a deal, no. If you want to be able to say, "Hey I got a custom cam." Then by all means get a custom cam.

The SNS will drive slightly better as it opens the intake valve just a little later than the V.2 which puts the intake valve opening at a more favorable crank angle in regards to cylinder fill and drivability. The V.2 still drives pretty nicely for a large "donkey dick" cam.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:53 PM
TECH Resident

The $20 is surely not a factor considering if you buy a cam your not happy with and have to change it out to another one! I'd like to try and do it once especially while the engine is out! So basically your saying either cam will do what I want and no custom is needed correct or can a custom be fine tuned just a bit more?
Old 01-23-2013, 04:26 PM
FormerVendor

For your application IMO there is no need for a custom cam if an off the shelf cam will work just as well as the custom cam would. Now, another shop may tell you that you need a custom cam because they don't offer anything from their line-up of shelf cams that would work as well.

It all goes back to if the cam is right for the application it doesn't matter if it's shelf or custom. You're really splitting hairs that aren't going to make a difference in the end result.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

Well i do understand that most shelf cams were once customs that worked well and then became shelf versions due to there popularity.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:55 PM
TECH Resident

Ended up talking with Ed and had him do a custom for me nothing to wild but should get me close to my goals!

Quick Reply: Cam recommendation?