Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random Misfires on Cammed Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 09:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Check the spark plugs and wires, camshaft position sensor, coil pack connectors.
Checked all except the camshaft sensor cleaned the maf the tps sensor wires look good and coils look good
Old 01-27-2013, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

What type of scanner are you using to pull the codes? You need to put it on a scanner that shows miss history to give you an idea of where to start.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im using an actron but it states that there are noooo missfires not a single one
Old 01-27-2013, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by zrultima
Im using an actron but it states that there are noooo missfires not a single one
I know on most of Snap on's newer scanners it will show a miss history of each cylinder. A cylinder has to miss so many times within a certain time period or parameter to actually kick a CEL.

If the car has been tuned that might have something to do with it too.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well the issue happen.to me today the light.stayed on i will check it out tommorow at work but.now.it just stays on so lets see if there any missfires and when it happen this time the trac off light.came.on at the same.time.i heard around here something similar to.this
Old 01-29-2013, 09:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok went home pulled up two codes that are intermitent one was p0121 tps sensor and the other is p1133 no others when i did check the history on it p1153 came up but was not present on the intermittent list
Old 01-30-2013, 10:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

The ses light turn off on me on the way to work and is no longer flashing only intermitteny codes that came up are p1133 and p0121 when pulled today no missfires known of yet check wires and plugs. There was a bit of oil on the wire to the spark plug wire number 1 on the driver side nothing on the others. It was on the wire none on the plug
Old 01-31-2013, 05:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anybody have any suggestion what i shouod do first again the code that came up as intermittent was p1133 and p0121 as intermittent
Old 01-31-2013, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Unhook your 02 sensors and drive it. Yes it will throw the CEL but it will tell you if the problem is in closed loop or not.

Another thing you need to check is for vacuum leaks. Unless the leak is really bad its hard to find leaks on plastic intakes.

The best way to check for vacuum leaks is by watching the short term fuel trims and 02 voltages on the scanner when you spray carb cleaner on it.

It also could be a MAF sensor or possibly a TPS sensor with a bad spot in it.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:33 PM
On The Tree

Actually, I'm having very similar problems to what you're having zrultima.

I basically did a head/cam/full exhaust build. The car ran fine until after the tune. After the tune, it started throwing these 3 codes: p1153, p0300, p0155. I'm beginning to wonder if my tuner did something wrong.

I had my car turn off once while driving as you mentioned (this happened to me on the way home after the tune). Had my car start missing around 45-50 mph, cleaned the o2 sensors, worked fine for a while then the problem started back up. Now sometimes whenever I gun it, the car responds fine other times it doesn't and it misses. Are these problems you're experiencing as well?
Old 02-01-2013, 07:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am having the same problem but mine is in all gears 98ws6 but my codes are p1133 and p0121 but no other codes come up but i believe the.previous owner whose on this forum lied about being tuned or he fucked up the tune. I tried talking to him but he never responds never picks up the phone nothing. He knew about this problems he had to seeing how he left sensors disconnected whwn he gave me the car. Well what can you do i do miss my cj
Old 02-01-2013, 07:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Unhook your 02 sensors and drive it. Yes it will throw the CEL but it will tell you if the problem is in closed loop or not.

Another thing you need to check is for vacuum leaks. Unless the leak is really bad its hard to find leaks on plastic intakes.

The best way to check for vacuum leaks is by watching the short term fuel trims and 02 voltages on the scanner when you spray carb cleaner on it.

It also could be a MAF sensor or possibly a TPS sensor with a bad spot in it.
I did check the 02 sensors voltage but they dont move around very much so could be lazy sensors but they were replaced in january by a shop i just dont want to spend my whole paycheck on it both maf sensor and tps sensor look new ill try removing the sensors tommorow
Old 02-01-2013, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

It has to be tune related or some kind of vacuum leak. Do what liljay said and check for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner/brake clean and spray the intake area, make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy as well in case you have a shitty spark plug wire, or if you'd like spray water on the coils and wires first to see if you have arcing from bad insulated wires. YOU NEED A GOOD SCAN TOOL with freeze frame, see when the codes set, freeze frame will give you an idea of what conditions the code set, then duplicate those driving conditions and watch DATA MONITOR and when the thing ***** check all DATA and see whats goin on. If you cant do that then its time to take it to the professionals
Old 02-01-2013, 09:06 AM
Staging Lane

I know the previous owner and the car ran great when he had it. Sorry to hear your having problems now.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:08 AM
Staging Lane

The car made some pretty impressive numbers. Was dyno tuned at a local shop.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Classic speed im talking about whoever he traded it to hes on the forum here as dabeetereater i know there was a previous owner before him who did all the work and took it to able auto for tunning im not talking about him. Dabeetereater had the car and god.knows what he did with the tune but the car runs terrible
Old 02-01-2013, 10:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98WS6Hville
Actually, I'm having very similar problems to what you're having zrultima.

I basically did a head/cam/full exhaust build. The car ran fine until after the tune. After the tune, it started throwing these 3 codes: p1153, p0300, p0155. I'm beginning to wonder if my tuner did something wrong.

I had my car turn off once while driving as you mentioned (this happened to me on the way home after the tune). Had my car start missing around 45-50 mph, cleaned the o2 sensors, worked fine for a while then the problem started back up. Now sometimes whenever I gun it, the car responds fine other times it doesn't and it misses. Are these problems you're experiencing as well?
Yes the problem very similar to what i have but the only codes are p1153 and p0121 it will run lioe crap when im.cruising and at wot
Old 02-01-2013, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by zrultima
Yes the problem very similar to what i have but the only codes are p1153 and p0121 it will run lioe crap when im.cruising and at wot
This. Yes. At low speeds like 25mph (buckbuckbuck). Or sometimes you can get a good WOT, sometimes not. Exactly what mine's doing.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Where are you located btw and yes that exactly what happening to me even if i slam on it it would.buck buck sounds like it chugging if you find out let me k.ow
Old 02-01-2013, 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is there any way to reset the tune reset the pcm

Quick Reply: Random Misfires on Cammed Trans Am