Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random Misfires on Cammed Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 11:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dabeatereater had it tuned. the tune was fucked when he received it. Ran great when you traded for it. like I said sorry to hear your having trouble now.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:02 AM
Staging Lane

You probably developed an intake leak or something dumb. Theres no telling. But the ****** made stupid power after it was tuned for the little bit of **** it has done to it.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well its just so strange that it would act up as soon as i got it. Well then classic speed if what your saying is true anyway to get it resolve its just pissing me off it has great power it does when its working correctly but the car stumbles on itself at random moments. I think if it had a leak it would do it all.the time
Old 02-02-2013, 08:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a very similar problem but it was caused by the o2 connector having coolant in it from when I pulled the passenger head. I have hp tuners so I was able to drive around while scanning and I could see my short term fuel trims negatively max out. I cleaned the connector and it was all good. Point of the story is that your o2 sensors directly effect fuel trims and drive ability.

I would try to get it somewhere or to someone who can scan and tune it with hp tuners, etc. Your chasing something you cant see....... frustrating
Old 02-02-2013, 08:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Unfortunately im in the middle of nowhere in nc cant wait to go back to florida its cold as hell here i havent been able to take off the 02 sensors and look at them too cold no one around here that i know has efi live or hp tuner
Old 02-05-2013, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

98ws6 did you get the issue resolved??? As for the rest of you guys i reseted my tps sensor it has helped and the car been running decent for most of the time now that it was reset. The vehicle does bog down at times but its only for a moment notice no leaks that i was able to find spark plug and wires are ac delcos i thought it was a loose plug but evertything seems intact i cant buy 02 sensors or a new tps since money an issue i only have denso at my advance i hope thats good enough. Only code is p0121 and p1153 as far as p1153 that probably has to.do with the long tubes but i will change them out also thanks for the help guys this is frustrating for me as i cant gun it at anytime.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by zrultima
98ws6 did you get the issue resolved??? As for the rest of you guys i reseted my tps sensor it has helped and the car been running decent for most of the time now that it was reset. The vehicle does bog down at times but its only for a moment notice no leaks that i was able to find spark plug and wires are ac delcos i thought it was a loose plug but evertything seems intact i cant buy 02 sensors or a new tps since money an issue i only have denso at my advance i hope thats good enough. Only code is p0121 and p1153 as far as p1153 that probably has to.do with the long tubes but i will change them out also thanks for the help guys this is frustrating for me as i cant gun it at anytime.
My car runs a lot smoother now. Basically it boiled down to my computer getting used to the new setup. Things that helped my setup: cleaning the o2 sensors, and driving without traction control on.

The codes that I'm getting has ran a heated debate on ls1tech. Some people will tell you that the car with a cam/no-cats/LTH/etc, if tuned properly, should run without shooting codes. Others will say just the opposite. So I'm not entirely sure who's right and who's wrong. My car still has the 3 codes mentioned previously but runs fine now.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well ill try driving without the traction control on and i will clean the 02 sensors this weekend my caf does stall out when putting in drive and reverse but that im guessing has to deal with the idle set so low. Thanks again for the answer 98ws6 have you resetted the codes and see if that helps i really have better luck with it now that the tps was dealt with lol
Old 02-07-2013, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

My car gets a random misfire CEL randomly but I never feel a loss of power. I also have a CEL for my O2's So i basically was thinking it was a direct result of the o2's. I haven't had any issues with the way my car runs though so it hasn't been something that has really bothered me as of yet. LOL

Let me know what ya find out on yours.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Image98
My car gets a random misfire CEL randomly but I never feel a loss of power. I also have a CEL for my O2's So i basically was thinking it was a direct result of the o2's. I haven't had any issues with the way my car runs though so it hasn't been something that has really bothered me as of yet. LOL

Let me know what ya find out on yours.
Well ill definetely let you know i did play with the 02 wires to see if they were stripped or lose. the wires were not zip tied or anything to avoid them from.hotting the headers i did move tjem and placed them elsewhere. The tps reset has really helped and that has been my resolution for the stuttering problem and loss of power it no longer does it daily i will drive the car for another week and see if it comes up but the ses lights turn off like they usually do after a few restarts. The car does however shut off when placed in reverse or drive on a cold start. This like ive spoken about it before is due to my very low idle 500 rpms the car will stay at 500 rpms and is smooth when the car is warm and i can stay like that foreve. In the morning however i cant even reverse out of my driveway or drive forward wothout the car warming up. As for anyone else that has read this and having the same issue reset the tps and go from there
Old 02-09-2013, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well guys the surging happen today i was driving around car started to surge i checked the codes and all i could.get was p1153 and p1133 no missfires detected ill be swapping the o2 sensors next week to new ones. The problem occured for 2 minutes but the car then staryed to drive fine i turned it off and back on but it was difficult to restart afterwards
Old 02-09-2013, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

I had a buddy who owned a Trans Am with like a 240 duration cam, ported heads, and a fast 92. He had to switch a specific type of o2 sensor. Let me text him and ask him for the details. I'll get back with you on this one. Do you happen to know the duration of your cam?
Old 02-09-2013, 11:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98WS6Hville
I had a buddy who owned a Trans Am with like a 240 duration cam, ported heads, and a fast 92. He had to switch a specific type of o2 sensor. Let me text him and ask him for the details. I'll get back with you on this one. Do you happen to know the duration of your cam?

Well the cam is a tsp 228r cam i believe as i have receipts good street cam when.it works.correctly
Old 02-10-2013, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Well the cam is a tsp 228r cam i believe as i have receipts good street cam when.it works.correctly
That's odd. When you get a chance, clean those o2's. It made a world of difference for my vehicle. It quit bucking at 45-50mph. Also driving with traction control off made the vehicle seem more response at WOT. Just be careful. You're on your own with it off. The vehicle will get sideways if you're not responsible.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

Interested to see what the problem is. Im having similar issues with the 01 z28 i just bought. Car seemed to drive fine when i test drove it, and now its bucking/surging/ missing all over the place. I would like to say its just a coincidence but i am noticing a lot of things wrong with the car here and there that the previous owner never mentioned before purchase.
Mine has an HPE s cam, Kooks long tubes, Elec water pump (thats it as far as engine mods), and it was supposedly tuned by HPE when the first owner had it (im number 3)
I have a 3 day weekend, so im hoping to get it on a lift this weekend and start doing some diagnosis and finding out whats going on.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by echastain88
Interested to see what the problem is. Im having similar issues with the 01 z28 i just bought. Car seemed to drive fine when i test drove it, and now its bucking/surging/ missing all over the place. I would like to say its just a coincidence but i am noticing a lot of things wrong with the car here and there that the previous owner never mentioned before purchase.
Mine has an HPE s cam, Kooks long tubes, Elec water pump (thats it as far as engine mods), and it was supposedly tuned by HPE when the first owner had it (im number 3)
I have a 3 day weekend, so im hoping to get it on a lift this weekend and start doing some diagnosis and finding out whats going on.
If you can find out during your diagnosis what it is i cleaned out the 02 sensors today i will probably end up replacing both tps sensor and o2 sensor if it does not work keep me up to date on what you find. My problem comes and goes but when it comes on i could barely keep up with traffic lol its ridiculous and the low idle on cold starts makes it hard to get it to move anywhere
Old 02-12-2013, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

If you can find out during your diagnosis what it is i cleaned out the 02 sensors today i will probably end up replacing both tps sensor and o2 sensor if it does not work keep me up to date on what you find. My problem comes and goes but when it comes on i could barely keep up with traffic lol its ridiculous and the low idle on cold starts makes it hard to get it to move anywhere
Mine wasn't nearly that bad, man. I have noticed that on certain days judging by weather that mine runs better.

You cleaned the o2 sensors, you've also tried running the car without traction control on. Make a difference? The guy that owned the car before you obviously used it for track, because I saw it in your previous posts. If the car ran better, then I'm assuming that the tune that he had on it was very aggressive. Basically all that traction control does is whenever you get on it too hard, it cuts down the horsepower going to the pavement when lost traction is detected. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but you may just need more of a daily driver tune instead of such an aggressive one.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98WS6Hville
Mine wasn't nearly that bad, man. I have noticed that on certain days judging by weather that mine runs better.

You cleaned the o2 sensors, you've also tried running the car without traction control on. Make a difference? The guy that owned the car before you obviously used it for track, because I saw it in your previous posts. If the car ran better, then I'm assuming that the tune that he had on it was very aggressive. Basically all that traction control does is whenever you get on it too hard, it cuts down the horsepower going to the pavement when lost traction is detected. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but you may just need more of a daily driver tune instead of such an aggressive one.
I cleaned the 02 havent driven with TCS off but the car losses power when im cruising at 30 mph on just back roads not only if i step on it. I will keep everyone up to date i will probably take the car to PCMforless while im in NC if i cant figure this out
Old 02-13-2013, 07:55 AM
Staging Lane

I cleaned the 02 havent driven with TCS off but the car losses power when im cruising at 30 mph on just back roads not only if i step on it. I will keep everyone up to date i will probably take the car to PCMforless while im in NC if i cant figure this out
Try turning off the TCS. It worked for me so far.
Last night when i got home i put my code reader on it and got 6 codes, but it was just 3 codes that were in there twice each. P0134, p1133 and p1153.
I erased the codes and left it at that for the night. (it was late, i was tired, went to bed lol)
This morning i get up and am headed to work and im still having bad misses cant get going etc. After a few minutes of driving i decided, "eh why not try turning off the ARS". I did and IMMEDIATELY after that, for the rest of the drive the car never missed again. AT ALL.

I still plan on doing a full tune up and checking the o2s and the wiring on them this weekend, but it sounds like the ARS is the culprit.
Now my only issue is bad vibrations at certain RPMs. Maybe the Driveshaft isnt properly balanced?
Old 02-13-2013, 09:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by echastain88
Try turning off the TCS. It worked for me so far.
Last night when i got home i put my code reader on it and got 6 codes, but it was just 3 codes that were in there twice each. P0134, p1133 and p1153.
I erased the codes and left it at that for the night. (it was late, i was tired, went to bed lol)
This morning i get up and am headed to work and im still having bad misses cant get going etc. After a few minutes of driving i decided, "eh why not try turning off the ARS". I did and IMMEDIATELY after that, for the rest of the drive the car never missed again. AT ALL.

I still plan on doing a full tune up and checking the o2s and the wiring on them this weekend, but it sounds like the ARS is the culprit.
Now my only issue is bad vibrations at certain RPMs. Maybe the Driveshaft isnt properly balanced?
Do you mean TCS instead of ARS??? I was tinking myself i never heard of ARS

Quick Reply: Random Misfires on Cammed Trans Am