Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running a Tick Street Heat cam?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 05:39 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Guys, I will make sure to post up my numbers once I get the build done. My setup will include AFR 205cc heads, milled to 60cc and the SNS Torque Max 2 cam (227/235 110+3 LSA). I've already got Stainless Works Long Tube Headers, Texas Speed True Duals and a SLP Lid. I will be sticking with my LS6 intake for now as well. I'm hoping this setup is good for around 440 rwhp and over 400 rwtq.
I think you're going to be looking at a little more power than that. The car in the graph I posted had a 223 intake lobe with stock port work stock valves with a valve job and slightly less compression than you. Mark my words, if the dyno isn't stingy you'll be easily over 455/415 if the tune is in line.
Originally Posted by stroked383HSR
in my sig.

Texas Speed PRC 2.5 5'3's

I dropped my car off yesterday with Tick...for the head and cam package install.
I 'm gonna tell ya like I told ya yesterday, you're going to make 90rwhp over what you made with bolt ons after these mods.
Nice. My heads are at 60cc, so the PTV clearance is going to be on the tight side, but should clear fine.
Your heads were cast at 64cc correct? Then milled to 60cc?
Old 01-25-2013, 06:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
I love the idle. It's nothing so choppy that you couldn't take your mother or wife out to lunch or dinner in, but it's choppy enough to make people say, "I'm not messing with him that sounds like a big cam!"
Lol oh yeah!
Old 01-25-2013, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think you're going to be looking at a little more power than that. The car in the graph I posted had a 223 intake lobe with stock port work stock valves with a valve job and slightly less compression than you. Mark my words, if the dyno isn't stingy you'll be easily over 455/415 if the tune is in line.

I 'm gonna tell ya like I told ya yesterday, you're going to make 90rwhp over what you made with bolt ons after these mods.

Your heads were cast at 64cc correct? Then milled to 60cc?

If I make what you're thinking I'll make, I'll jump through the roof. Either way, the combo IS going to make great power and give me useable, under the curve power and torque, which in my opinon, gets overlooked too often when people are getting cams.

Yes, I'm pretty sure the AFR heads started out life at 64cc.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

I forgot to ask you this earlier Martin, but what lenght pushrods will I need for this setup?
Old 01-25-2013, 10:14 PM
FormerVendor

If I make what you're thinking I'll make, I'll jump through the roof. Either way, the combo IS going to make great power and give me useable, under the curve power and torque, which in my opinon, gets overlooked too often when people are getting cams.

Yes, I'm pretty sure the AFR heads started out life at 64cc.
Think about what Dr. Whigham made. 45x/41x with a cam that has 4 degrees less overlap, yours will make more power because of that added overlap. He has 59cc heads you have 60cc, but your cam creates more dynamic compression also. That will also make more power across the board along with the added overlap. Now he does have a fast, but his clutch was shot and his injectors were maxed out. You can make what his did I really believe it will.

About the chamber size, since the head began life as a 64cc had you've really only lost .025" p to v over stock p to v clearance by milling that head. It's comparable to putting a stock 243 head on a stock ls1 engine, even though it now has more compression, it still has the same p to v clearance as it did stock. Same thing with the AFR head, it gives your more compression without losing p to v over stock as it's cast that way.
I forgot to ask you this earlier Martin, but what lenght pushrods will I need for this setup?
I would use a 7.400 as the cam has a slightly smaller base circle.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was the car in the 2nd vid with the torque max stage 2 cam tuned? i want my car to sound nasty and have gobs of power under the curve.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm....i was actually wondering that too and was gonna post last night.

if it will sound like the vid once tuned...that would would be icing on the cake!
Old 01-26-2013, 09:05 AM
12 Second Club

^ thats what i was thinking too. the only reason i ask is the ceck engine light was on.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Your tuner can make it sound lopy/choppy by adjusting the idle. The lower the idle, the more it's going to sound like that. Besides, the Torque Max 2 cam has 11 degrees of overlap, so it's going to sound nasty even when tuned.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:03 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Well my new clutch is installed now (thanks Martin) and I've got new 42#ers ready to go in a bag and swap them on the dyno.

Phoenix, if you make my power or that close to it, I'm pulling the heads, flycutting .080 int/exh and running a Cometic .040, dynamic compression be damned! LOL

I've got a few tricks up my sleeve for this year that I'm curious to try out. First of which is ditching the sweet thunders in favor of a pair of Magnaflow bullets. The rest is secret, unless you drank your Ovaltine and got your secret decoder ring

Martin, I'm curious to see how all this pans out...
Old 01-26-2013, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Well my new clutch is installed now (thanks Martin) and I've got new 42#ers ready to go in a bag and swap them on the dyno.

Phoenix, if you make my power or that close to it, I'm pulling the heads, flycutting .080 int/exh and running a Cometic .040, dynamic compression be damned! LOL

I've got a few tricks up my sleeve for this year that I'm curious to try out. First of which is ditching the sweet thunders in favor of a pair of Magnaflow bullets. The rest is secret, unless you drank your Ovaltine and got your secret decoder ring

You crack my **** up man. The next phase for me will be a FAST combo and a nitrous plate kit. What clutch did you end up going with and how much did it set you back? I will be on my stock clutch for now, but my car only has 46k on her.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:46 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I went with a Monster stage 2, Tick master and speed bleeder. The whole kit from Martin. It simply ROCKS man. It's a night and day difference in feel. A firmer pedal, but an engagement you can feel and predict. Butter smooth shifting and engagement.

I went with the 18# flywheel too. It feels so much better. It matches my driving style how I up and down shift. It's perfect.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=Martin@Tick;17083858]Just got this last night from member "FEAR LS" as he finally wrapped up his H/C install with the SNS Stage 2 "Torque Max" camshaft.

He has a TSP ORY and a Borla adj. cat-back, enjoy!

That sounds good. Can't wait to get mine in.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

im jacked and ready! cant wait

Martin,
My heads are un-milled 63cc chambers not 62's...does that make a difference on what gasket you use to get the 11to1

these are the heads I have https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...ead-bolts.html I got them from the guy who bought off Chrs1313

Last edited by stroked383HSR; 01-27-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by hodge9386
was the car in the 2nd vid with the torque max stage 2 cam tuned? i want my car to sound nasty and have gobs of power under the curve.
Originally Posted by hodge9386
^ thats what i was thinking too. the only reason i ask is the ceck engine light was on.
Car was not tuned. Check engine light was a P0300 (Random misfire) due to pulling it out of the garage. (Loading the engine)

hmm....i was actually wondering that too and was gonna post last night.

if it will sound like the vid once tuned...that would would be icing on the cake!
It should be very similar. The car was idling around 800rpm (Live scan, of course it was jumping between 8-840) but that is fairly close to what it will be once tuned.

I could be way off, maybe Martin will chime in. My car will idle like that all day now, no check engine light on. I would think the tuner would try and keep the parameters at idle close to stock as they can be for drivability purposes. (Thus making the idle sound stay the same) Now WOT is a different story. Just me thinking again.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:35 PM
FormerVendor

Your tuner can make it sound lopy/choppy by adjusting the idle. The lower the idle, the more it's going to sound like that. Besides, the Torque Max 2 cam has 11 degrees of overlap, so it's going to sound nasty even when tuned.
I would set the SNS Stage two at a 750-800pm idle, maybe 850 at the most.
Originally Posted by dr_whigham

Well, you better get the heads off and get to cutting then son!!!
im jacked and ready! cant wait

Martin,
My heads are un-milled 63cc chambers not 62's...does that make a difference on what gasket you use to get the 11to1

these are the heads I have https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...olts.html....I got them from the guy who bought off Chrs1313
We were computing the compression with a 62cc chamber, instead of being right at 11:1 it will be 10.89:1...may as well call it 10.9:1.
Originally Posted by FEAR LS
Car was not tuned. Check engine light was a P0300 (Random misfire) due to pulling it out of the garage. (Loading the engine)

It should be very similar. The car was idling around 800rpm (Live scan, of course it was jumping between 8-840) but that is fairly close to what it will be once tuned.

I could be way off, maybe Martin will chime in. My car will idle like that all day now, no check engine light on. I would think the tuner would try and keep the parameters at idle close to stock as they can be for drivability purposes. (Thus making the idle sound stay the same) Now WOT is a different story. Just me thinking again.
100% correct.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

the link was messed up on my post up top. fixed now.

will that really matter not being 11:1 ? im still learning.

I guess its a good thing having the designer of the cam working with the install team and being there for the dyno tune.

Great group of guys! in person!
Old 01-27-2013, 10:11 AM
FormerVendor

the link was messed up on my post up top. fixed now.

will that really matter not being 11:1 ? im still learning.

I guess its a good thing having the designer of the cam working with the install team and being there for the dyno tune.

Great group of guys! in person!
Maybe 1-3rwhp if that at all. You'll never notice it not being there John.

Thanks for the kind words! BTW what other shop do you guys know of that would give their customer a ride 40 minutes one way because his daily driver is being worked on at our shop?
Old 01-27-2013, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe 1-3rwhp if that at all. You'll never notice it not being there John.

Thanks for the kind words! BTW what other shop do you guys know of that would give their customer a ride 40 minutes one way because his daily driver is being worked on at our shop?

:LOL:!!! yeah man I hear ya

i'll be up there middle of the week...check on things. sent ya a PM!

Last edited by stroked383HSR; 01-27-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:58 AM
FormerVendor

:LOL:!!! yeah man I hear ya

i'll be up there middle of the week...check on things. sent ya a PM!
Sounds good bro.

Quick Reply: Anyone running a Tick Street Heat cam?