Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget head choices

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by martin@tick
i've never seen the specs on that cam, but the street heat stage 2 is a very nice cam as you said. With some compression you can make almost anything look good
g5x2

232/240 .595/.608 112/114 lsa
Old 01-29-2013, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
If you like that cam, but think you may want something a little bigger, the Stage 2 LS2 Street Heat is 233/240 .61x"/.58x" 112+2
Looking on your site. The specs on there say 231/238. Or am I looking at the wrong one?

How would you describe the differences in power characteristic's between the torquemax st 3 at 234/242 (mild version) and the street heat st 2 at 231/238?
Old 01-30-2013, 09:53 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by formulaon18s
Looking on your site. The specs on there say 231/238. Or am I looking at the wrong one?

How would you describe the differences in power characteristic's between the torquemax st 3 at 234/242 (mild version) and the street heat st 2 at 231/238?
There are two Stage 2 Street Heat cams. One for LS1, one for LS2.

The Torque Max Stage 3 versus the Street Heat Stage 2 is actually a good comparison because they will produce two different looking power curves.

The Torque Max will make a higher torque figure than the Street Heat due to it's higher overlap figures and later opening exhaust valve event. With the added overlap, it will also make more peak horsepower, but won't be by much versus the Street Heat. The Torque max will be more of a violent power band with a mid-range that really kicks you in the teeth where as the Street Heat will have a more gradual pull past 5000rpm.

The main difference is the Torque max uses overlap to make torque and horsepower which will make it rowdier than the Street Heat. The Street Heat uses a earlier exhaust valve open event and later intake valve close event to carry the torque far enough out past peak torque to where it makes a good peak horsepower number. The Street Heat doesn't have much overlap IMO which makes it a smoother cam with a smoother power delivery on the street in a 6 speed car.

It would be like comparing Dale Earnhardt Sr.(Torque Max) to Mario Andretti(Street Heat). I personally like the Street Heat in either light weight 6 speed vehicles such as a C5 or C6(LS2) Vette, or a under-geared heavier stalled automatic car. With the flat torque curve the Street Heat has, in a lighter vehicle it feels like it pulls forever and really gets a car like that up to speed in a hurry and will light the tires up at will. In a heavier under-geared/under-stalled automatic it helps pull the heavier car back up through the power band with it's long flat torque curve and is faster at the track than a peakier cam in that instance. The Torque Max is better suited for a 3.73-4.10 geared lighter automatic car with a 3800-4000 stall that can take advantage of the slightly peakier torque curve, but the amount of torque it makes helps the peakier curve. I also like it for heavier 6 speed cars with some gear because the amount of torque it produces helps to get those cars moving from a dead stop much faster.

Hope this helps others in there search for a cam or when comparing these two cams.

Quick Reply: Budget head choices