TECH Fanatic

Received 550 Likes on 344 Posts

Great Info!!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Snkebait95
Yeah we need a head porting sticky!!
And to agearheadlife- great info and its awesome somebody took the time to do this! Im no expert but somebody might have said this but ive also been told you do not want to slow the velocity of the air down by porting to flow more cfm. And the gmhtp article is a perfect guide!
Thanks Snkebait95! It's very satisfying to see people appreciate my efforts. I'm no expert, but I feel I laid a decent base down.

You're right. I try not to lose velocity. I try not to enlarge the ports, beside the lumps that I remove.

Too keep it simple, all I mainly do at this time is remove the two lumps and then blend and smooth the rest.

In my opinion, that article in GMHT on porting was great to start out with when researching. But for good detail that I was looking for, wasnt there. Seemed a little bland to me. Maybe because I'm already playing with them and look for more. IDK Wish that article had come out before I started researching. It probably would have been helpful to me.

I'm thankful for the information I found scattered across threads on this forum and from Mikey97z and BoWhite for taking the time to answer my questions.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a
Great Info!!
Thanks ryeguy2006a!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by omc8
Ill have to check that out !
You're pumping up my 15 mins of fame again!! WoooHooo! If you check that, then you might like to check out my interview with Holley as well for winning the Presidents pick at Holley LS Fest 2012

Dont make fun of my wording. It was awkward trying to think of things to speak of for them.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AGearHead4Life
You're pumping up my 15 mins of fame again!! WoooHooo! If you check that, then you might like to check out my interview with Holley as well for winning the Presidents pick at Holley LS Fest 2012

Dont make fun of my wording. It was awkward trying to think of things to speak of for them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xewHJ88EOfw
Thats cool man, I was at Holley LS Fest too ! I probably saw your truck but I don't remember it. It rained hard early that Saturday morning didn't you get wet camping out.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by omc8
Thats cool man, I was at Holley LS Fest too ! I probably saw your truck but I don't remember it. It rained hard early that Saturday morning didn't you get wet camping out.
LS Fest was a blast! Nah wasn't worried about the rain. I'm kinda a survivalist and being military, the rain was no problem. Actually I was very thankful for it, because Friday was extremely hot and I was headed to bed with sweat dripping off my head. Then the rain came and cooled everything off.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've come up with some more info to share. I'm really tired and hopefully didn't miss anything. I attempted to learn how to make a graph with excel. I put the before and after dyno numbers on it to compare.

See attachment.

It looks like I lost a lot of torque below 3k rpm. 100ft lb of torque. If this is so it could be because I took a little material off of the short turn radius. I will leave the short turn alone next time (besides smoothing).

I don't know. Cant think straight. going to bed....

Good night LS1Tech!
Attached Thumbnails DIY LS1 Head Porting at home can Help-84-c10-dyno-before-after-ported-heads.jpg  
Old 02-09-2013, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I watched your diy videos on you tube.I feel a little squemish about taking a good set of
243 's and porting them. Should i try to do it first on a set of 853's that are sitting around in my garage first to practice on?How hard was it to do your first set of heads?
Old 02-09-2013, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thats a little funny looking, would imagine that is maybe from the converter or something.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by transwiz
I watched your diy videos on you tube.I feel a little squemish about taking a good set of
243 's and porting them. Should i try to do it first on a set of 853's that are sitting around in my garage first to practice on?How hard was it to do your first set of heads?
Definitely! I strongly suggest that you practice on a less expensive head like the 853's. Mistakes can happen. Plus the first set that I did, didnt turn out as well as I would have liked. Also werent as even ported through all the ports.

The hardest part of the first pair I did was finding information on how to do them. lol So you've got that part knocked out! haha It is very time consuming though. Especially on your first pair.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TT427
Thats a little funny looking, would imagine that is maybe from the converter or something.
That is possible. I just assumed that this stock converter would have had similar results on both.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AGearHead4Life
I've come up with some more info to share. I'm really tired and hopefully didn't miss anything. I attempted to learn how to make a graph with excel. I put the before and after dyno numbers on it to compare.

See attachment.

It looks like I lost a lot of torque below 3k rpm. 100ft lb of torque. If this is so it could be because I took a little material off of the short turn radius. I will leave the short turn alone next time (besides smoothing).

I don't know. Cant think straight. going to bed....

Good night LS1Tech!
Cam timing and port design go hand in hand... you could swap the cam for something that works with the new port design and pick the bottom back up while keeping most if not all your gains in the top end.

As for the short turn you have to watch what you do there and it always helps to know what your looking for on the flowbench when grinding it.

It is the easiest spot usually to make great gains or put the head in the toilet.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MoreHP
Cam timing and port design go hand in hand... you could swap the cam for something that works with the new port design and pick the bottom back up while keeping most if not all your gains in the top end.

As for the short turn you have to watch what you do there and it always helps to know what your looking for on the flowbench when grinding it.

It is the easiest spot usually to make great gains or put the head in the toilet.
awesome. That is great feedback. Now just to figure out what the short turn would like. Guess I need to invest into a flow bench.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys ive never posted here i need some help. seems like youve got some things figured out with the ls heads.. i have a question to thicken the plot. i have a 5.3 aluminum block with the 799 head castings which ive read are basically 243. so they flow good. cool. i dont however have the valves for that engine.. but i have a set of dart valves from iron eagle platinums that would be a great valve for that head. theyre swirl polished valves that already have a 30 degree cut back and measure 2.02/1.60 the heads i have should be 2.0 and 1.55 also theyre a .342 stem diameter. so my plan was to o.d. the valve to the correct sizes and then regrind the seat into them. my issue is with the valve guides. can i just ream them out to accept the larger diameter stem and also my 600 lift springs from sbc i know theyd work i just dont know exactly how...i can lathe a spacer easily to raise the spring height from the pockets since the stock beehives are slightly taller. anyone ever done this or does this seem crazy. im a machinist so i see damn near everything as possible. even if its not.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SSCamaroSteve
Hey guys ive never posted here i need some help. seems like youve got some things figured out with the ls heads.. i have a question to thicken the plot. i have a 5.3 aluminum block with the 799 head castings which ive read are basically 243. so they flow good. cool. i dont however have the valves for that engine.. but i have a set of dart valves from iron eagle platinums that would be a great valve for that head. theyre swirl polished valves that already have a 30 degree cut back and measure 2.02/1.60 the heads i have should be 2.0 and 1.55 also theyre a .342 stem diameter. so my plan was to o.d. the valve to the correct sizes and then regrind the seat into them. my issue is with the valve guides. can i just ream them out to accept the larger diameter stem and also my 600 lift springs from sbc i know theyd work i just dont know exactly how...i can lathe a spacer easily to raise the spring height from the pockets since the stock beehives are slightly taller. anyone ever done this or does this seem crazy. im a machinist so i see damn near everything as possible. even if its not.
I like the way you're thinking. I like to think that the glass is always have full and anything can be achieved.

Problem is that I think the old SBC valves are shorter. I researched putting LS1 valves into an old SBC head once and I remember someone stating that the valves are longer and the locks are different. But this gets out of my area of experience/knowledge. Maybe another machinist will chime in.

I do know these heads would like a set of 2.02/1.60's!
Old 02-18-2013, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I posted some threads on heads I ported, with dyno numbers. 241s stock VJ did 470 cam ls1, unported 853s just a vj and blend did the same I think. Check them out. got some pics too
Old 02-18-2013, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by studderin
I posted some threads on heads I ported, with dyno numbers. 241s stock VJ did 470 cam ls1, unported 853s just a vj and blend did the same I think. Check them out. got some pics too
Sweet! Good info. Got a link?
Old 02-18-2013, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...highlight=port 241s

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...highlight=port 799s
Old 02-18-2013, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow nice work. Those 799s looks awesome
Old 02-18-2013, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think this thread is turning out great. Its got info and links to other peoples info and experience.

Thank you everyone for sharing!

Quick Reply: DIY LS1 Head Porting at home can Help