Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABSOLUTELY crucial to have stall and gears with cam swap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 06:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove my car with a 230/236 .600 .600 113lsa with stock stall and 3.15 gears on my C5 for about a month. It wasn't as bad as people said it would be at all.
It did want to push through the brakes at a stop. Pretty annoying but I would just put it in neutral. It definitely was a dog down low! It wouldn't even spin the tires lol
But I had a YANK4000 sitting in my garage, so it wasn't like I didn't know any better, just needed the time to get it installed.
Is it doable? Absolutely, is it something you'd want to do long term? Of course not.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

It is simply illogical.
And potentially quite dangerous.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 88Fbody6L
I'm going to go against the grain here. You asked if it was absolutely crucial. The answer is no. I drove my car with a 234/244 cam, stock stall and 2.56 gear for a year before swapping stall and gears. It didn't like to idle in gear that well but it was manageable. Of course the gears and stall really woke it up, but not crucial to driving it and won't hurt a thing
I would say its crucial as it will make the car run shitty without it and really is a waste of time. I've driven stock stalled cammed LS cars. It is not fun by any stretch of imagination.

Op definitely get a stall. Why put all that money into your car and then skimp out on that? You'll end up very disappointed.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
I would do the 3600. Not much difference in driving characteristics between the two and it will be noticeably faster that way.
This, been saying it for years.. You wouldn't notice the difference between the two after a week of driving. You would notice the difference WOT between them for years.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
I would say its crucial as it will make the car run shitty without it and really is a waste of time. I've driven stock stalled cammed LS cars. It is not fun by any stretch of imagination.

Op definitely get a stall. Why put all that money into your car and then skimp out on that? You'll end up very disappointed.
I'm not saying to not get a stall, don't get me wrong. I'm saying if money or time is an issue then you most certainly can drive it without one. Just like mentioned, car goes in neutral at stops if needed. If you are familiar with your car, you can make it work and not be dangerous. It's not rocket science
Old 02-02-2013, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm not saying to not get a stall, don't get me wrong. I'm saying if money or time is an issue then you most certainly can drive it without one. Just like mentioned, car goes in neutral at stops if needed. If you are familiar with your car, you can make it work and not be dangerous. It's not rocket science
88F, it is Ok in life to admit when one is wrong. You are wrong and reacting with stubbornness to prove a point that should event exist.
Stall first>then cam.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Im gonna laugh when someone posts up their totaled car because their brakes didnt work worth a **** thanks to a camshaft when they had the whole world tell them how to avoid it.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
88F, it is Ok in life to admit when one is wrong. You are wrong and reacting with stubbornness to prove a point that should event exist.
Stall first>then cam.
I guess my car must be the exception out of millions. Driven for over a year on stock stall and its not totaled nor ever came close to an accident. Maybe take your own advice and admit when you are wrong. I'm not trying to start a pissing match. Just saying it can and has been done without any problems. Anyone can go out and cause an accident for a number of reasons. Id say most of which are driver error. Learn your car and how to control it and most of all don't be stupid with it on the streets
Old 02-02-2013, 10:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Putting a car in neutral to stop it everytime isnt very street friendly nor is it good to keep going back and forth between N and D.

Either way, good luck everyone.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

I guess my car must be the exception out of millions. Driven for over a year on stock stall and its not totaled nor ever came close to an accident. Maybe take your own advice and admit when you are wrong. I'm not trying to start a pissing match. Just saying it can and has been done without any problems. Anyone can go out and cause an accident for a number of reasons. Id say most of which are driver error. Learn your car and how to control it and most of all don't be stupid with it on the streets
Just because you got lucky (so far) doesn't meant that it is alright to do it. Anyways, what do I care, you're the one that will pay the price, I just hope you do not hurt other people along with you.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

" It can be done with no problems" right...
Surging through the brakes, vacuum issues/idle issues, completely worthless down low, put in neutral to stop everytime. It can be done, but you'd be stupid to do it. Considering that same car would get outperformed with a stall with no cam...comparably to a cammed car no stall.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

Again, never said it was ideal or that a stall wouldn't be best and will perform better. Just saying it can and has been done. The OP asked if it was crucial. By definition of crucial, yes it is important to have a stall.Can it be driven without one, yes. That was and is my only point in this
Old 02-02-2013, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Makeshift torque converter:
Put car into N
Rev to 5000rpm
Put car in D
Hope nothing breaks
Old 02-02-2013, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tainted
Put car into N
Rev to 5000rpm
Put car in D
Hope nothing breaks
Yes. Because this is exactly what a stall does
Old 02-02-2013, 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Put car into N
Rev to 5000rpm
Put car in D
Hope nothing breaks
Lol, better keep the wrecker's phone handy. That rear or tranny is not going to last long doing that.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:15 PM
Launching!

Oh man, this is really getting comical now!!! OP, its your car do what you want, you have to drive it not us! But remember, you asked for opinions and you got'em!!! Good Luck with the mods!
Old 02-02-2013, 01:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

In case some of you couldnt tell that post was all sarcasm
Old 02-02-2013, 03:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a 232/239 nitours cam. Had an off the shelf 3000 fti, but it was tightened up. Sent my cam card in to fti when I swapped everything. Pretty much drives the same, but it lugs along because I have 3.27's. Basically works really hard to get into over drive. Your car prob wont be the same, but my converter doesn't allow the car to down shift unless it's accidentally at the right mph. But honestly, anyone can get in and drive it.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im gonna laugh when someone posts up their totaled car because their brakes didnt work worth a **** thanks to a camshaft when they had the whole world tell them how to avoid it.

Stop being a dramatic woman.

It won't push through that bad.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this turned into a very entertaining thread lol i appreciate everyones feedback and will deff be putting a stall in when i do my heads and cam swap.

Quick Reply: ABSOLUTELY crucial to have stall and gears with cam swap?