Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FAST 78 install help

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Default FAST 78 install help

Are my stock injectors/fuel rail etc all able to swap over with no additional modification needing to be done? Is it down and dirty swap over plug & play?
car was upgraded to 243 heads so i should have coolant tubes and rear block offs correct?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-08-2013, 06:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it is a pretty easy swap .you will need button head low profile bolts on the valley cover plate.you can use the stock fuel line and injectors,use a little oil to slide the injectors in place.you can retain the stock ls1 coolant lines,bend them down using piece of soft wood and a small plastic hammer.use some good silicone to seal the map sensor .
Old 02-08-2013, 06:50 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Depends if you're talking about the 98 or the 2002, and if the 98, the previous owner very well may have just used the LS1 coolant lines.

You'll need button head bolts for the valley cover so you don't crack the bottom of the intake when you bolt it down, and you might have to shave a bit of material off the top of the cam gear on the TB so you can go WOT otherwise it may hit the little nipple / hose coming from the passenger side valve cover.

Other than that, it's pretty simple. Everything else just swaps right over.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Depends if you're talking about the 98 or the 2002, and if the 98, the previous owner very well may have just used the LS1 coolant lines.

You'll need button head bolts for the valley cover so you don't crack the bottom of the intake when you bolt it down, and you might have to shave a bit of material off the top of the cam gear on the TB so you can go WOT otherwise it may hit the little nipple / hose coming from the passenger side valve cover.

Other than that, it's pretty simple. Everything else just swaps right over.
where do i find the 'button head bolts' at? chevy parts? it is a 98, but with 243 heads.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

IMO, for whatever that's worth, its better to go with either the LS6 crossover in the front and rear OR the LS6 crossover in front and block the rear ports. I think you would have to smash the steam pipe down so far it would be flat anyway and I would worry the tubes might break. If you look at how low profile the button head bolts are shows you how flat the steam pipe needs to be. You can shave the bottom of a LS6 intake off but I don't see it fitting below the FAST.

You can get the button head bolts at ACE Hardware, they have a great stainless steel fastener section. You might also be able to get them at Lowes or Home Depot.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
IMO, for whatever that's worth, its better to go with either the LS6 crossover in the front and rear OR the LS6 crossover in front and block the rear ports. I think you would have to smash the steam pipe down so far it would be flat anyway and I would worry the tubes might break. If you look at how low profile the button head bolts are shows you how flat the steam pipe needs to be. You can shave the bottom of a LS6 intake off but I don't see it fitting below the FAST.

You can get the button head bolts at ACE Hardware, they have a great stainless steel fastener section. You might also be able to get them at Lowes or Home Depot.
do you know what size button head bolts i need so i can buy them before tearing into things?
Old 02-12-2013, 08:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got this kit for my FAST 92. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=380547982335

I also used two front LS6 coolant crossover pipes while utilizing a brass T fitting to connect all the 3/8" rubber hose. (Takes some enginuity to route cleanly); KUP Water Vapor system is the ****, but pricey. You can do what you want, after what I researched I chose not to block off number 7 and 8 cylinders.

The install should be that straight forward. I see you're located in SD. I bought one crossover from Bob Stall, and the other off ebay. Ebay being cheaper, but Bob Stall can have one in a day if you're impatient.

You trying to get this done by Friday? (Race Legal)
Old 02-12-2013, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by FU_I_AM_UltraZ
do you know what size button head bolts i need so i can buy them before tearing into things?
I don't know for sure.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes use either ls1 crossover and clearance the intake for it or use 2 ls6 crossovers and connect them...
Old 02-12-2013, 08:53 PM
10 Second Club

If that intake sets anything like mine, there was no way I could have some how managed to keep the LS1 steam pipe setup. Huge props to those of you that have and maintain a leak free setup.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FEAR LS
I got this kit for my FAST 92. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=380547982335

I also used two front LS6 coolant crossover pipes while utilizing a brass T fitting to connect all the 3/8" rubber hose. (Takes some enginuity to route cleanly); KUP Water Vapor system is the ****, but pricey. You can do what you want, after what I researched I chose not to block off number 7 and 8 cylinders.

The install should be that straight forward. I see you're located in SD. I bought one crossover from Bob Stall, and the other off ebay. Ebay being cheaper, but Bob Stall can have one in a day if you're impatient.

You trying to get this done by Friday? (Race Legal)
yes wanna help?? i have a 78 not a 92, so not sure of the diff on clearance, but i just need the bolts b/c i don't need to replace the valley or the gasket. just trying to keep the cost down... I should already have the x-over stuff from doing my 243 head swap.. but do not know for sure. just trying to keep car down for the few hours doing the swap.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:44 PM
10 Second Club

So all we would have to do is install the intake and that's it?

I have duty tomorrow, but I'm off Thursday. If it's just an intake install, that will probably only take an hour or less.

I have one low profile bolt (kit came with an extra) that we could mock up against others at a local auto parts store or Lowe's. Maybe buy a hose or two and that T-fitting and we should be good to go! (Unless you'd prefer to block the ports in the back, and I may have some if you don't) PM Your number if you want and we can schedule a time to wrap this up Thursday if you'd like my help.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:42 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Hooray for iPhone notes!

The button head bolt size you need is M8 30mm X 1.25

No need to replace the gasket unless it needs it. Just swap them one at a time.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FEAR LS
So all we would have to do is install the intake and that's it?

I have duty tomorrow, but I'm off Thursday. If it's just an intake install, that will probably only take an hour or less.

I have one low profile bolt (kit came with an extra) that we could mock up against others at a local auto parts store or Lowe's. Maybe buy a hose or two and that T-fitting and we should be good to go! (Unless you'd prefer to block the ports in the back, and I may have some if you don't) PM Your number if you want and we can schedule a time to wrap this up Thursday if you'd like my help.
PMed you my ph#. not sure what all the t fitting and blocking back ports, but hell yeah. not sure what ur doing this weekend. only thing i'm not so sure of is swapping MAP sensor over. FAST had newish intake gaskets.

Quick Reply: FAST 78 install help