Sponsored by:

Sounds like a bird in my engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FiredUpZ28
X2

SUPER common in Vettes it seems like but definitely where I would check. Has anyone been in the motor for anything?
Nope, just bolt ons and no cam. All stock internals.

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
Doesn't sound like a belt. Sounds like something is rattling. How are your motor mounts? Does it do it when you brake hard?
Perfect MM's. No sounds or shimmies or anything when I break hard.

Originally Posted by Wimimc
Thats an exhaust leak. Had the same exact sound when my header gasket went to crap. When I went to replace it I could see black soot marks on/around the header and head where it was leaking.
I think so too.

Originally Posted by Carter01
Exhaust leak.
See above...

Originally Posted by poltergeist 02
If it's not belt/pulley noises then I would pull the pushrods to see if one is pluged up. It also sounds like lack of oil to a rocker. It's hard to tell from a vid.
I'll check that too.

Originally Posted by 99 2500
I would remove belts to see if it's a tensioner or idler pulley bearing first.
I'll try it, can't hurt.

That's not a belt noise. My car has a belt noise and it's nothing like that.

It sounds like something is loose. Exhaust leak at the header would do that.
Seems to be the consensus

Originally Posted by poltergeist 02
Maybe not a belt, but it could be a bad bearing in a pulley though.
We'll see.

It all sounds the same. Bearings cause a sustainer squeal. Easiest way to rule out belt is to run it without one. Or just spray water on the grooved side of the belt to lubricate/alleviate tension on the serpentine setup. If it doesn't come back while the belt is lubricated (couple squirts from water bottle should last 10 secs until it evaporates) then you know it's a belt issue.
I'm trying it all this weekend, lol.

Originally Posted by stroked383HSR
spun bearing in my 383 SBC in my IROC when i had it.
I sure hope its not but sure sounds the same.
I spent a crap load of money on that motor and never really got to play with it. Got me in all kinds of trouble is what it did...LOL

I really couldn't hear a chirp, but sounded like maybe you're lifters aren't getting the oil they need. My lifter tick isn't nearly as bad.

....and the header gasket seems really plausible because my car scrapes bad coming out of the garage (it's at almost a 40* incline) and since the cats are all scraped to **** (but no holes in them), I think it might be moving the headers and causing an exhaust leak. Hhhmmm....
Old 05-09-2013, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the vid i posted was from my SBC IROC from years ago ( car is long gone) but i spun a main bearing in it.

start listening at about 20 secs. If you cant hear a the chirpin then I dunno....u might need a hearing aid...LOL

I hope its not a spun bearing for ya. I just figured i would post my chirp. They may not be the same type chirp...but i just know mine was a bearing

good luck!!

Quick Reply: Sounds like a bird in my engine bay