Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beginning upgrades to my 150K LS1/T56 Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginning upgrades to my 150K LS1/T56 Camaro SS

I'm sure you guys have never heard this before but I want lots of power with little to no money haha. But really, my 2000 Camaro SS 6m has about 150k, I've owned since 40K in 2005. I am weighing my options as I would like to do upgrades and my only power upgrades have been mid headers and custom exhaust. I've been seeing lots of posts but am not sure if there is already one you would recommend for a budget LS1 build. I'm thinking cam, LS6 intake and port/polish my heads. This is my daily driver so I can't do anything too nuts, plus I am not rich quite yet.

My car burns a quart of oil every other fill up or so. The trans makes a slight rattle noise that can be heard from the shifter, but I am not having problems with power from the engine and the T56 shifts great still.

Some basic questions:
1. I will be doing a bleed off test for each cylinder, if they all check should I still have the block worked on?
2. I am not very familiar with Tick, but their SNS stage 2 kit looks pretty good for a daily driver. If I were to port my heads, add the LS6 intake, long tubes and that cam/spring set up what kind of power gains should I expect?
3. Do I just wait to tear into the trans since I'm not having problems with it now? I did a clutch maybe 15K ago.

Thanks much, guys!
Old 02-16-2013, 02:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many ways to skin a cat. Oil consumption could be rings or valve seals or both. The leak down test should help figure it out. I suspect half the problem is the seals. The Tick SNS stage 2 would be a great cam choice and definitely get the LS6 intake. As for heads, I'd lean toward picking up low mileage 243 heads for maybe $400. You should be well over 400 hp. For a high mileage engine, also replace the timing set, oil pump, lifters, and trays.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right on. Those parts seem pretty cheap and I can be happy with that kind of power for a while...maybe.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

#1 mod, rocker trunion upgrade. Last thing you want is a hundred roller bearings spewing through your motor.

Quick Reply: Beginning upgrades to my 150K LS1/T56 Camaro SS