Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NGK TR6's and 75 shot

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default NGK TR6's and 75 shot

As some of you may know I have a complete NX wet kit which is installed and ready to go. Here is my dilemma: Money is tight right now, so i'm looking to just spray a 75 shot right now without changing the timing, and running my NGK TR6 plugs (gapped at 0.040). So basically changing nothing...thus costing me nothing lol! I'll throw the car on the dyno to check air/fuel, and the car is tuned for the HCI combo of course, but that's it. Now i've searched the forums here, called a couple places, and am getting mixed opinions. One person or thread says sure no problem at all, and another says nope...not a good idea. The tech guy at NGK says no good, but NX says no problem lol. So bottom line guys....can this be safely done? I know these plugs are not ideal for nitrous (I totally get that) but see several people doing it...especially on a small 75 shot. So what do you all think?

Oh and one other thing that might be worth mentioning...my compression is around 11 to 1 vs the stock 10 to 1. Not sure if that is relevant, but thought i'd throw that in there just in case

Last edited by HCI2000SS; 02-20-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That used to be "the" nitrous plug until the non-projected ones became popular. Nowadays I would recommend NGK BR6EF plugs. Can you run the TR6 on a small shot? Probably, if you pull a couple degrees timing. Have I done it? Yes, before I knew any better. Do I recommend it? No.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by batboy
That used to be "the" nitrous plug until the non-projected ones became popular. Nowadays I would recommend NGK BR6EF plugs. Can you run the TR6 on a small shot? Probably, if you pull a couple degrees timing. Have I done it? Yes, before I knew any better. Do I recommend it? No.
So how long did you run the TR6's, and what were they gapped at? What size shot were you running? If they were "the nitrous plug" at one point how can they be all that bad then? Thanks for the info man...i'm just trying to learn here
Old 02-20-2013, 08:34 PM
11 Second Club

I ran a 75 dry shot at the time and I ran the setup for a couple years, only spraying at the track. That said, I had a nitrous tune with 3 degrees timing pulled when I sprayed. I believe I gapped about .040" or so. I run .035" gap now with NGK BR7EF (but I'm also running a 150 wet shot). Seriously, plugs are not that expensive.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah I know the plugs are cheap, but I was hoping to just leave it as is and go lol Have you ever changed plugs in these cars before? I am new to the LS world (came from the Mustang world) and to change the plugs in this car looks like a real pita lol
Old 02-20-2013, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

I ran TR6 plugs for quite a while on a Zex nitrous kit. Ran about 22 bottles thru on a 75 shot, no problem's at all. BUT, you have heads and cam, so I am betting your timing has been advanced some. So I would say don't do it. The NX guy said you could? Wow. Maybe he didn't hear you say that you have heads/cam in your ride. I can't imagine them saying that it's ok to smack it even with a smaller shot.
I know your on a budget, but if you hurt your engine where will that leave you?
Old 02-20-2013, 11:16 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah, I've pulled the plugs out many times. It's not all that hard, although it is a little tight quarters. I have a GTO, so the back of the engine doesn't run up under the cowl like the F-bodies do.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Sure you can use the tr6's but don't. Use non-preojected tip plugs. Get some br7ef's (part number 3346) and they will be good up to 150 shot.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

I appreciate the info guys! Well I just talked to my tuner (he has never let me down in the last 8 years) and he says with my build I will be fine. He has done countless LS1's, Mustang's, etc...and has a great reputation! I will verify the timing though, and if it's significantly advanced I will change them, but if it isn't I think i'm going to keep it as is for a bit. I'll keep you guys posted
Old 02-21-2013, 04:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't run it without a nos tune.if your tune is real aggressive you will get a lot of spark knock on the juice.Deffinately drop the timing.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If it were me I'd wait and get it tuned. Better paying a few hundred for a retune than few grand in a new motor that detonates due to too much timing.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:05 AM
Teching In

seems like for such a cheap item like a spark plug and you can use either with one being slightly "safer" I am not understanding why take the chance?

Just removed the TR6's out of mine and put in the BR7EF's seems to run the same as before but I have a piece of mind. Recommended by a good tuner as well.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't want to sound stupid here, but if the TR6's were a decent nitrous plug back in the day, then how can they possibly be all that bad...especially on a 75 shot? I mean I get that there are better plugs, and my timing comes into play here, but if the timing isn't too advanced why would this be a problem? I know it's a projected tip plug, but it is one step colder and they are a copper tip plug as well correct? I'm just trying to find some "real world" reasons as to why this is such a bad idea here. Also would switching to something like BR7EF's affect my n/a performance....even in the slightest? Thanks again guys!
Old 02-22-2013, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have the same heads as you and use br7ef plugs..doesnt affect N/A at all..on a 100 shot and pull 4deg with harris interface..if idid do a 75 (which i considered at first) id pull bout 3deg...normall rule of thumb is 2 deg for every 50..you could get away with 2 deg pulled...either way id pull timing
Old 02-22-2013, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
I don't want to sound stupid here, but if the TR6's were a decent nitrous plug back in the day, then how can they possibly be all that bad...especially on a 75 shot? I mean I get that there are better plugs, and my timing comes into play here, but if the timing isn't too advanced why would this be a problem? I know it's a projected tip plug, but it is one step colder and they are a copper tip plug as well correct? I'm just trying to find some "real world" reasons as to why this is such a bad idea here. Also would switching to something like BR7EF's affect my n/a performance....even in the slightest? Thanks again guys!
Your not sounding stupid at all.
TR6 plugs were the recomended nitrous plug for years untill fairly recently when it was found that the non-projected tip plugs were safer.
BUT, TR6's are perfectly fine, if your timing is reduced accordingly to the size shot you plan to run, up to 125rwhp shot. Some ran TR6's with a 150+ shot w/o problem, but thats running on the ragged edge.
No way I would do that.
But for a 75 shot, like what you want to use, TR6 plugs are fine, so long as your timing is good.
Now, expect to be raked over the coals on this, [once this post gets moved to the nitrous section], but as I said earlier, I ran the TR6 plugs for years on a 75 shot. Most everybody did.
But the "pack mentality" that accompanys a lot of threads on this subject, would have you believe that if you use those plugs, your engine will blow a 8 ft deep crater beneath your car and send debris skyward knocking passenger jets out of the air, lol.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dannyz
Your not sounding stupid at all.
TR6 plugs were the recomended nitrous plug for years untill fairly recently when it was found that the non-projected tip plugs were safer.
BUT, TR6's are perfectly fine, if your timing is reduced accordingly to the size shot you plan to run, up to 125rwhp shot. Some ran TR6's with a 150+ shot w/o problem, but thats running on the ragged edge.
No way I would do that.
But for a 75 shot, like what you want to use, TR6 plugs are fine, so long as your timing is good.
Now, expect to be raked over the coals on this, [once this post gets moved to the nitrous section], but as I said earlier, I ran the TR6 plugs for years on a 75 shot. Most everybody did.
But the "pack mentality" that accompanys a lot of threads on this subject, would have you believe that if you use those plugs, your engine will blow a 8 ft deep crater beneath your car and send debris skyward knocking passenger jets out of the air, lol.
See now this makes some sense to me from everything i've read and heard. Thank you for posting this! So I guess it really boils down to where my timing is at, and weather I get any detonation or not. Any idea on where my timing should be for it to be safe like this?
Old 02-22-2013, 05:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
There not. PERIOD. I sprayed a 200 shot for years on tr6's on pump gas. 26* of timing. a 300 shot on projected tip TR7IX's. Were talking about a 75 shot here people. Less than a 10hp per hole increase. I'd spray that on stock plugs with out a worry.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by blacktransam
There not. PERIOD. I sprayed a 200 shot for years on tr6's on pump gas. 26* of timing. a 300 shot on projected tip TR7IX's. Were talking about a 75 shot here people. Less than a 10hp per hole increase. I'd spray that on stock plugs with out a worry.
That's really good to know! A 200 shot on those plugs is huge from what I understand, so again I can't see why a 75 shot should be a problem at all if my timing isn't like crazy advanced or anything.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:00 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I wouldn't do it.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
I wouldn't do it.
Why is that?
If his timing is good, why not?

Quick Reply: NGK TR6's and 75 shot