Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I have the wrong valve seals?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do I have the wrong valve seals?

I recently rebuilt my ls1 motor and put ls6 heads on it. The heads came w/ patriot golds and the machine shop going over my engine said they would look over the heads as well. I need to dig and find the receipt but I believe they replaced the valve seals as well.

I've been noticing alot of oil in my catch can(elite engineering) after a 20 min track session and decided this wasn't right. I pulled the plugs today and they all have alot of oil on the threads(none on the electrode though) in addition to some oil pooling at the throttle body. Now clearly I'm having blowby issues, the engine is making good power and the rings are new, so I doubt its a ring issue which leads me to believe something is wrong w/ the valves. I pulled the valve cover as well and noticed the valve seals were blue in color for intake and exhaust as opposed to the different color seals(brown/black) that are more commonly found. Could the shop have put ls1 seals on my heads and are these different from ls6 seals? Could this be causing my oil consumption/blowby issue or are there other issues I don't know about.

I plan on doing a comp test this weekend as well, but I'm fairly certain it will be good since the engine doesnt feel like its low on compression.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The blue ones are the Viton seals. Viton is the ones you want. with that said there are different sizes for either standard or oversize valve guides. are you blowing blue smoke out the tail pipe?
Old 03-02-2013, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
The blue ones are the Viton seals. Viton is the ones you want. with that said there are different sizes for either standard or oversize valve guides. are you blowing blue smoke out the tail pipe?
Not that I'm noticing and no one on the track has mentioned anything either.

I noticed before I put the catch can on that after a hard session there would be blue smoke at startup. I attributed this to blowby accumulating in the intake though and the large amount of oil in the catch can confirmed it.

The engine only has ~200 miles on it, so it is still in its infancy stage but being that this is a track car, I can't really put 500 break in "street" miles on it. My other theory is that due to the large amount of the high rpm engine braking I'm just getting excessive blowby.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like blow by on the rings, was it broke in proper? What were the piston to wall clearances? If not rings then prob in the pcv system.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
Sounds like blow by on the rings, was it broke in proper? What were the piston to wall clearances? If not rings then prob in the pcv system.
it was broke in pretty hard, the usual first start stuff of running it for 20 min or so but after that it was dyno and then track. If the compression is good I'll just keep running it and upgrade to the ls6 pcv system until the motor craps itself.

and of course I just went to do the comp check and the battery is dead
Old 03-02-2013, 05:16 PM
Teching In

compression numbers, looks good to me, cyl 2 was kinda low but its nothing alarming

1. 225
2. 175
3. 200
4. 180
5. 185
6. 185
7. 200
8. 200

Quick Reply: Do I have the wrong valve seals?