Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running Brian Tooley SLR lifters?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 08:11 AM
KCS

Received 310 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Baconz28
Reason I asked Brian sent me 7.350 length pushrods
Probably too short, but that is why you must measure.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok.. do the pre load has anything with the length ? I know they preload different from the ls7 lifters if that matters....
Old 04-09-2014, 10:26 AM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Baconz28
Ok.. does the pre load have anything to do with the length ? I know they preload different from the ls7 lifters if that matters....
Yes, they need roughly .050" preload.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

Default Btr

Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
Brians point is there is nothing wrong with the LS7's as long as you can keep your valve train under control. I am running the LS7's that I already have in my new 402 setup. My cam does not have super aggressive lobes, and I will be running his best spring kit. I do not know all your specs but after going over mine with Brian, he said the LS7's will be fine for me.
Talked Me out of Morel link bars,, for my application,,, Extremely Honest and Knowledgeable !!!!!
Old 08-30-2014, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exclamation thread update

I was one of the early buyers who was doing a build over winter. The car is "done" and has 500mi + tune on it now. It Ticks & was well under power expectations. I am not comfortable driving from NY to KY for holley LS fest 2014 because of this, In fact the tuner New Era was shocked I even drove it the hour there. (note this tuner was also leery of doing full pulls for my baseline bolton tune last year. Errors on the safe side w/customer cars)
*spec of my build
224/228 .581/.588 110lsa TSP specked Comp grind
BTR SLR Lifters
7.300 5/16 chromoly TSP pushrods = 53 thousandths preload
Comp cams rocker triunion upgrade
.650 TSP dual springs = 405lb spring pressure @ .600" lift
stock 88k bottom end w/O.P. and Timing chain upgrades 40lb@idle 60lb driving
853 heads milled 10thou with triple valve job.

The LS1 has a loud tick on cold start which mellows out within a minute. This is RPM dependant light/hollow sound from the top end. Tick is constant and audible within passenger compartment with windows up while driving & clear to others in traffic. All signs point to faulty lifters.

I really hope that its improper preload so I'm not pulling heads again. However I had a trained dealership mechanic at my side as we measured with two methods 5 plus times coming within three thousandths preload each measurement.
I called BTR about this and was told to check preloads again on cyl 1 & 6 to confirm, and that returns are to be case by case basis through Brian himself. This is disappointing news obviously.

All info provided is currently known, intend to update with more info once we triple check the preload settings. Not intended to damage BTR name just providing info to the forum users. No other follow up posts after install were seen previously.

* P.S. As of 8/30/14 BTR webpage no longer lists BTR SLR lifters for sale, representative said they were discontinued due to having problems w/them. I now see "Johnston SLR lifters" being sold AS IS. By all accounts these Johnston units are simple rebranding the remaining BTR SLR lifters.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:45 PM
KCS

Received 310 Likes on 210 Posts

Old 08-31-2014, 11:10 AM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PhoneniX
The LS1 has a loud tick on cold start which mellows out within a minute. This is RPM dependant light/hollow sound from the top end. Tick is constant and audible within passenger compartment with windows up while driving & clear to others in traffic. All signs point to faulty lifters.
We've actually never had a bad lifter with the above symptoms. Most times the lifter will suffer a "stuck down" issue and will clack loudly at all times. To determine which cylinder the issue might be coming from, you can remove the intake and exhaust rockers, pushrods, unhook the injector, start the engine and see if the noise goes away, one cylinder at a time. However your pushrods are extremely short, so you might actually have "lash" that's making the noise.

I called BTR about this and was told to check preloads again on cyl 1 & 6 to confirm, and that returns are to be case by case basis through Brian himself.
We stand behind what we sell, and if you have a issue with a lifter, we will pick up the tab for new lifters, gaskets, bolts, fluids, etc.

* P.S. As of 8/30/14 BTR webpage no longer lists BTR SLR lifters for sale, representative said they were discontinued due to having problems w/them.
The issue rate with the SLR lifters was less than 1%, however that was too high for us to continue selling them. Bear in mind the "issue rate" with some of the Morel lifters we sell is greater than 10%, so we have a FAR lower issue rate with the BTR SLR lifters than the Morel lifters.

Lifters with a tighter plunger to bore clearance are also much less tolerant of any type of trash in the oil. Any trash at all can cause a plunger to stick down.

I now see "Johnson SLR lifters" being sold AS IS. By all accounts these Johnston units are simple rebranding the remaining BTR SLR lifters.
If you look at the bottom of the lifters next to the roller you'll see they are made differently. GM chose the Johnson SLR lifters for their COPO Camaro, so GM must have found them to be good. The SLR lifters we offered were very similar to the Johnson, but are not the same manufacturer.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:33 PM
12 Second Club

Johnson is not a rebranded anything. The company is about 30 miles away from me and has been making lifters for some time.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
We've actually never had a bad lifter with the above symptoms. Most times the lifter will suffer a "stuck down" issue and will clack loudly at all times. To determine which cylinder the issue might be coming from, you can remove the intake and exhaust rockers, pushrods, unhook the injector, start the engine and see if the noise goes away, one cylinder at a time. However your pushrods are extremely short, so you might actually have "lash" that's making the noise.
We stand behind what we sell, and if you have a issue with a lifter, we will pick up the tab for new lifters, gaskets, bolts, fluids, etc.
The issue rate with the SLR lifters was less than 1%, however that was too high for us to continue selling them. Bear in mind the "issue rate" with some of the Morel lifters we sell is greater than 10%, so we have a FAR lower issue rate with the BTR SLR lifters than the Morel lifters.
Lifters with a tighter plunger to bore clearance are also much less tolerant of any type of trash in the oil. Any trash at all can cause a plunger to stick down.
If you look at the bottom of the lifters next to the roller you'll see they are made differently. GM chose the Johnson SLR lifters for their COPO Camaro, so GM must have found them to be good. The SLR lifters we offered were very similar to the Johnson, but are not the same manufacturer.
thank you for the clarifications, especially concerning lash, warranty and Johnston lifters. Over the phone speaking with Brian himself while researching I was greatly pleased with his commitment to quality customer service and this is shown again here.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:53 PM
Teching In

This is why I went with BTR stuff in my build including the lifters. I have only had first startup so I hope I do not run into this issue with the lifters but if I do im happy to see he stands behind his stuff and would not hesitate to buy from them again!

Quick Reply: Anyone running Brian Tooley SLR lifters?